How tough are coyotes?

Originally Posted By: GC If not the hunter, who is responsible for a clean kill then? I understand that chit happens occasionally even when we think we have done everything right Murphy rears up and smacks us in the chops once in awhile. That I can accept. But you shot eight coyotes and only recovered ONE. I can't see how that is just Fate and Murphy in a conspiracy against you personally. I gotta think you might have a little sumpin' to do with that terrible wounding ratio and by not accepting any responsibility for it things aren't going to improve. And now you're bragging about how much you hunt and shoot! Really? I'm trying to understand, but it doesn't make sense.

Needed to be said

Chupa

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: ScalloperThere are very few that hunt and shoot as much as I do threwout the year. There is no way anybody can garantee that when they pull the trigger they will have a dead animal thats just not the reality of hunting,so to say that its the responsibilty of the hunter is ridiculus the only way anyone could pull this off is not to shoot.

If not the hunter, who is responsible for a clean kill then? I understand that chit happens occasionally even when we think we have done everything right Murphy rears up and smacks us in the chops once in awhile. That I can accept. But you shot eight coyotes and only recovered ONE. I can't see how that is just Fate and Murphy in a conspiracy against you personally. I gotta think you might have a little sumpin' to do with that terrible wounding ratio and by not accepting any responsibility for it things aren't going to improve. And now you're bragging about how much you hunt and shoot! Really? I'm trying to understand, but it doesn't make sense.
I should have noted that the 5 I have shot with my 270 has been while deer hunting over the last 20 years. I understand your comments but its not 1 recovery for 8 coyotes. I was just pointing out all of the ones lost over the years and how tough the coyote is. But I have been concerened with the 2 out of 5 that we lost sence I switched to the Superformance ammo. I read the reviews on that ammo here on this site. I know I hit one coyote qutering toward me standing still at 71 yds. I shot between the frount shoulder and the neck. I still think that should have been a deadly shot. But as one posted,the Superformance ammo is made for varmints not preditors which I had not been aware of.
I am not sure how you figure I was "Bragging about howe much I hunt" which I was not. I was just pointing out that I spend allot of time in the feild and I am very familure with my equipment. It seemed as thoe allot of guys have been happy with that brand of ammo so when I was looking for a new hunting round for my .223 I decided to give it a shot. I shot a coyote with the Superformance tuesday night at 11:30pm and it was dead before it hit the ground. It was a broad side shot just a bit behind the shoulder which is fine but if I need 3-4" of penatration this may not be the best choice of bullet weight or perhaps brand. I am just going by what others have stated about the "Splattering or fast fragmentation" of the Superformance.

Scalloper, We have all tried to see your "point of veiw", but you bring alot of critisism on your self when you make statements like "There are very few that hunt and shoot as much as I do...."
I grew up hunting in Maine, I still get back there every few years, my family still lives there. I know some of the laws, so who are ya trying to kid???
Many guys out west kill more yotes in a week that you have shot at this year.
Maybe read what is posted and realize noone is picking on you, just trying to help you be more successful.
As you did ask for help.

You know some of the laws??? I beg to differ. Who am I trying to kid??? You did not grow up in this part of Maine hunting and the outdoors is a lifestyle in this area.Where did I say that I shoot more coyotes then anyone? I think you need to get off of your high hourse

Back