How tough are coyotes?

Just like any other critter,shoot'em proper and kill'em. Poor shooting is more of a problem than cal. or bullets most of the time.

Take your time and kill'em ,anit really that hard.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperA shot like the one that I made should have killed that coyote had the bullet penatrated properly.

The way I read the story you never found the coyote?

Crap happens, and it may not of been the perfect hit you actually think it was. Or maybe it was the bullet. Either way, sorry you didn't find it.

when I was shooting the dog with the 300 I was getting no expansion till I hit bone he acted a little funny but never slowed down the third just destroyed him I have killed plenty more with a 7mmwsm and they never moved it was the difference in the bullet and shot placement same with bobcats it just blowed them into little pieces. I have a pic of one with nothing but the spine intact.

Originally Posted By: rustydog32I shot one earlier this year sitting in my deer stand 3 times with a 300 win mag the first two behind the shoulder and he never budged and the third was low on the shoulder and cut off both legs and tore a softball sized hole in the bottom of his brisket and he still tried to get up for a good two minutes
Originally Posted By: rustydog32when I was shooting the dog with the 300 I was getting no expansion till I hit bone he acted a little funny but never slowed down the third just destroyed him I have killed plenty more with a 7mmwsm and they never moved it was the difference in the bullet and shot placement same with bobcats it just blowed them into little pieces. I have a pic of one with nothing but the spine intact.

Alrighty then. Bullet design and shot placement. Now we're getting somewhere. I knew there had to be a solution to killing these tough SOB's.

as far as coyotes being tougher than humans. You have not seen a big man jacked up on meth or cocaine ask any law enforcement officer. Humans can be dam tough to put down.

I get my share of DRT's but have had some run that I couldn't explain. Shot one while deer hunting at 400yds with a 25-06, 120gr corelock. He took off across the beanfield as fast as a coyote can go and I thought 'well crap- missed him!' Went about 200yds across that field and all of a sudden started tumbeling. Must have rolled 25yds before he stopped. Went and looked and had a perfect passthrough shot right behind the shoulder. Then while squirrel hunting this fall DRT'd one with a std.vel. 22lr. 'splain that one, Lucy!

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarONLY in my humble opinion.....

The Superformance ammo is too fast for the 53 grain V-Max bullet for coyotes.

I don't know this as fact, but I think Barry may be on to something here. I thought of this very thing when I bought my first box of Hornady Superformance. But I did buy them and they do shoot lights out in my AR, so I decided to try them and see. I only have one kill with them as of today so It's a very small sample to make any judgements yet(for me). I have used the 52gr SMK for a long time and really like them, when I put one of those in the shoulder they go down like an anvil was dropped on their head. This one is the only kill so far with the 53gr HSF that I have,it performed well, but I still have that little doubt in the back of my head.

jay009.jpg

Chupa

This is a very interesting thread, I have shot V-Max, or Nos BT'S , in every thing from a .17, to a .300,for at least ten years, maybe more, killed a pile of deer, yotes, long, and short tail cats, hogs, and even cancer eyed cows. I have had some issues with a "not fast enough kill", but rarely, and each time after inspection, it was my fault, not the caliber choice, or bullet choice.
I shot a yote this am running across the feedlot,
distance 300 yards +/-
cal .204 ruger
bullet 40 gr V-Max.
speed 3450 fps
Poi, third rib from the back.(gut shot)
Result, 300 yard tracking job.....and recovered yote.(with help from dogs)
What did I learn "AGAIN"????????
Make good shots if you expect "DRT" yotes.
The blood trail was my fault, not the fault of the gun, cal, or bullet performance.I have flattened many yotes with same rifle, bullet and distances , closer and farther.

Tough? YES!! Had a female at 70 yards head on with a perfect chest shot(50GR VMAX, 3400 FPS, 22-250) no splash, no exit.. Heard her grunt, hit the ground, stood up and ran 500 yards straight line before her back feet caught up to her front. Running dead I call it. I swear, they can still run 40 MPH on one leg - IF they want to.. Adrenaline..

I think that part of the problem with poor hits on coyotes ,is due to the nature of calling /baiting coyotes.

Like with deer/elk bear,,whatever...you are waiting,and have time for that broadside/quartering away shot...not soo when calling coyotes.

Coyotes come at ya dead on,,giving you a poor shot,,even when circling to get down wind,,,and you can get em to stop....they dont stick around for long,,some of the best shots you get,is when they stop quartering away...for one last look.

or it could be.....

Same problem i have with SOME deer hunters in my neck of the woods also,,,shootin at tails or hair....i have finished off plenty of em,,holes in rump,through bladder,ears,jaws shot off,,gut shot,leg shot off.....every last one of the shooters,would swear "them deer were tough"......X

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrTough? YES!! Had a female at 70 yards head on with a perfect chest shot(50GR VMAX, 3400 FPS, 22-250) no splash, no exit.. Heard her grunt, hit the ground, stood up and ran 500 yards straight line before her back feet caught up to her front. Running dead I call it. I swear, they can still run 40 MPH on one leg - IF they want to.. Adrenaline..

What she look like inside? Or did you look?

500 yards is a LONG way to run. The only coyote I've had go that far is the one I gut shot. I finally caught up to him when he tried to go up the rocks on the mesa.

The phrase 'jelly' ring a bell?

I couldn't believe it myself.

The last one I gut shot(4 years ago)? we chased for two days(snow on the ground) and never caught up to him. It was a bad shot and I was not happy about it. Using the same 50GR VMAX and same load and the shot was around 250 yards. The bullet did its damage though. No need to go into the graphics here. Nuff said that we are quite sure it did not survive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lyotehunterthey are tough but if you would change to berger bullets you would have a lot less run off they don't make up for poor hits but they do better than the others.i have shot them all over thew years.bergers go in then open up and destroy everything.side by side same speed there is no comparison.if you never try them you will never know.if you do let me know your experience.
Thanks I will give them a try.

Years ago, I hit one too far back. The only shot I was gonna get was over 300 yds. I was shooting a tack driving 25-06. I tracked the yote threw the thickets with no trouble as it was dragging parts that aren't supposed to be exposed. When I caught up with it It had gotten snagged and was attempting to chew threw the problem.. Still standing and trying to escape.. I was horrified at what I had done, he didn't deserve THAT..
Lesson learned:
1- Know YOUR limitations. ( I had plenty of gun)Not enough experience at that range.
2- Take responsablity for every mistake. ( Know that it was MY decision to hunt them and how to dispatch them.)There fore I can change it.
3-There is no such thing as too much practice Or over kill.
4- Don't underestimate their instincts.
5- They Are Tuff!!!!

Originally Posted By: Yotesalot
I was horrified at what I had done, he didn't deserve THAT..
Lesson learned:
1- Know YOUR limitations. ( I had plenty of gun)Not enough experience at that range.
2- Take responsablity for every mistake. ( Know that it was MY decision to hunt them and how to dispatch them.)There fore I can change it.
3-There is no such thing as too much practice Or over kill.
4- Don't underestimate their instincts.
5- They Are Tuff!!!!

Words of a true hunter.

I've shoot 25-40 yotes a year around the ranch and have had the best luck on instant kills with the 243 and 75gr V-max. I've had very few coyotes move after being hit by this bullet. I've tried many other bullets in 6mm and not found a better one for dropping yotes, and I've hit them from most angles. I've killed several with a 223 and 22-250, but had more runners than with the 243. Shot placement is still the biggest factor, but using a heavier varmint bullet gives you more shrapnel for a larger wound channel, and is a little more forgiving. With perfect shot placement anything works.

For bigger calibers I like the accubonds, they open very fast to deliver quick shock but don't leave a huge exit. They are my favorite big game bullet so I used them on few yotes while hunting other game and liked them.

I had poor luck on coyotes with the Berger VLD hunting bullet. They seem to penetrate to deep in the smaller chest cavity of a yote before opening and leaving a smaller wound channel. They have worked great on deer for me, but I prefer the accubond to just make one all purpose load.

I'm sure there are better options than what I'm using, but thats what has worked for me.

Back