How tough are coyotes?

Originally Posted By: Scalloper...This makes three shots this week at my bait pile but only one confirmed kill two wounded badly...

...I have shot 5 while deer hunting with my .270 and 0 recovered...

...What do some of you think?

What do I think?... Honestly, I think you need to work on your marksmanship. That is a ridiculous wounding percentage.

I'm very thankful the coyotes I hunt here are big pu$$ies. If the coyotes here were as tough as some of the ones you guys hunt, I dunno if I'd ever kill any with my puny little .223 or 12ga...Pu$$y, wussy, easy coyotes. I love em.

ONLY in my humble opinion.....

The Superformance ammo is too fast for the 53 grain V-Max bullet for coyotes.

As Leon said, a splash occurs when a thin jacketed bullet hits a hard area of a coyote at high speeds....

The Superformance ammo says right on the box "Varmint". Coyotes are "coyotes". Not "varmints". They are tough and hard to kill. The super fast velocities on that 53 gr. V-Max will result in lots of encounters like this one that started the thread. The load is great for varmints like it says on the box, but when hunting coyotes, especially at ranges under 100 yards, where lots of coyote shots are taken, splashes will result, as will some pretty good fur damage when the bullet does splash.

These are great rounds for very explosive prarie dog hits and such.
thumbup1.gif

But, to be truly effective as a coyote round, you need to do one of two things with the load...

1) You need a thicker jacket for the velocity it is using.

(A thicker jacket will hold the bullet together better so that the required pentration can cleanly kill the animal.)

OR

2)

You need to significantly SLOW DOWN the speed of the bullet so that it won't be so explosive and splash on close range shots, or shots that hit the shoulder or other hard area of a coyote.

To be truly effective, a V-Max bullet in a .223 needs to be 53-60 grains and have a muzzle velocity of around 3000 fps.
When you have the right combination of the proper velocity & V-Max bullet, it can indeed be a great killer of coyotes.
thumbup.gif

All I ever use is V-Max bullets of 55 grains moving at a MV of 3000 fps. It kills better than anything else I've tried....and, I've tried LOTS of loads and bullets.
wink.gif

Barry

You & me both. I would hate to go after some of these, a guy may need a wooden stake & holy water, to seal the deal.Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI'm very thankful the coyotes I hunt here are big pu$$ies. If the coyotes here were as tough as some of the ones you guys hunt, I dunno if I'd ever kill any with my puny little .223 or 12ga...Pu$$y, wussy, easy coyotes. I love em.

I'm pretty sure over the years we have been over this time after time after time......
Fact yotes are tough....
Fact if they are hit "right", they will die.....
Fact tens of thousands of yotes are killed (and recovered) every year with everything from .17 to .50 cals..............
Lets be realistic, they are 60# or smaller in most cases,doesn't take much rifle, bullet combo, with proper shoot placement to harvest an animal of that size.
Find a bullet load combo you like, and take it to the range in the daylight, be sure you are happy with the accuracy, then set up a target right beside the "bait pile", after dark, fire a 3 shot group, into that target, and be sure your dalight poi is the same as your "in the dark" poi.
Everything is diff shootin under a light. If you wanna shoot in the dark , some practice in the dark will increase your success. Best of luck.

Here's splash example of high velocity and frangible bullet combination on a coyote.

splash.jpg

This was the entrance wound.

It killed the coyote, but had the placement been further on the shoulder, that big splash would have resulted in a run away coyote. Seen them do it...

So again, we are back to "shot placement" being the deciding factor whether a yote is "DRT",or a blood trail, or a lost coyote.
That was my point, slick a leg off with a 458Lott, and a yote will run off, shoot a yote in the head with a .17 hmr, it will die.
Shot placement is very important.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuSo again, we are back to "shot placement" being the deciding factor whether a yote is "DRT",or a blood trail, or a lost coyote.
That was my point, slick a leg off with a 458Lott, and a yote will run off, shoot a yote in the head with a .17 hmr, it will die.
Shot placement is very important.

Very much so. Agreed

Originally Posted By: rustydog32I shot one earlier this year sitting in my deer stand 3 times with a 300 win mag the first two behind the shoulder and he never budged and the third was low on the shoulder and cut off both legs and tore a softball sized hole in the bottom of his brisket and he still tried to get up for a good two minutes

Yea man I shot one up the hinney hole with 50 cal. I followed him for two miles before he died.

Then I won the lottery and had sex with Carmen Electra.

seriously have been shooting coy dogs for 20 yrs with a 22-250 using 52grn Sierra HPBT and have never had one get away or run very far. Shot placement is everything.

I find if you have a runner it good to sit down and think about it for about a 1/2 hour.

If you start pushing the coyote to hard he just going to keep moving, but if you wait a bit he will bed down and stiffing up so as not to be able to run anymore.

Originally Posted By: BrianEOriginally Posted By: rustydog32I shot one earlier this year sitting in my deer stand 3 times with a 300 win mag the first two behind the shoulder and he never budged and the third was low on the shoulder and cut off both legs and tore a softball sized hole in the bottom of his brisket and he still tried to get up for a good two minutes

Yea man I shot one up the hinney hole with 50 cal. I followed him for two miles before he died.

seriously have been shooting coy dogs for 20 yrs with a 22-250 using 52grn Sierra HPBT and have never had one get away or run very far. Shot placement is everything.

Lmao! My thoughts exactly.

Rockinbbar is right ! The V-max, B-tips are for varmints, Prarie dogs, ground squirrels,small varmints that when hit makes a red mist.
With a V-max at 3000 fps or faster sooner or later you will have a splash the size of a pie plate, and the dog will get up and run off. I know the first half dozen I shot with 220 swift and 50 gr. V-max did exactly that. Use a projectile designed for larger game or slow the V-max down.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Scalloper...This makes three shots this week at my bait pile but only one confirmed kill two wounded badly...

...I have shot 5 while deer hunting with my .270 and 0 recovered...

...What do some of you think?

What do I think?... Honestly, I think you need to work on your marksmanship. That is a ridiculous wounding percentage.

+10000

But yeah I have dang near blown their front leg off with a .243 and the coyote did get up and try and run away but the second shot dropped her like a stone.

Tougher then any human you will ever meet in your life.

Originally Posted By: WorkmanOriginally Posted By: Tactical .20Wrong, they won't chew a leg off.

They won't?

I know for a fact they will. Coyotes are the toughest critters I've encountered next to javelina.

Originally Posted By: singlecoilWhat yotezapper said! Shot placement is critical for 1 shot kills. You might want to work on that. Check out the predator biology page here on PM, there are some very good anotomy pics that might help you pick your shots more carefully.
A shot like the one that I made should have killed that coyote had the bullet penatrated properly. Think about it,how deep would a bullet need to penatrate to break a shoulder or neck 4"? I am not sure these bullets are all they are cracked up to be sence my son had the same experence with a brodside shot behind the shoulder as well. And the one I shot last thursday AM was a perfect hit and did drop the coyote but the bullet blew up on impact and had almost no penatration.

Originally Posted By: howardsI find if you have a runner it good to sit down and think about it for about a 1/2 hour.

If you start pushing the coyote to hard he just going to keep moving, but if you wait a bit he will bed down and stiffing up so as not to be able to run anymore.
I shot at 10pm. I tracked it at 8am and jumped it three times.

Originally Posted By: BrianEOriginally Posted By: rustydog32I shot one earlier this year sitting in my deer stand 3 times with a 300 win mag the first two behind the shoulder and he never budged and the third was low on the shoulder and cut off both legs and tore a softball sized hole in the bottom of his brisket and he still tried to get up for a good two minutes

Ok,so when I see the guys on the videos pile coyotes running wide open at 200-250 yds those were all well placed shots? Not so sure about that. I do understand that my deer load is not the best for coyotes but when they run off dragging 5 feet of intestin that tells me they are not pu$$ies.

Originally Posted By: 195PilotRockinbbar is right ! The V-max, B-tips are for varmints, Prarie dogs, ground squirrels,small varmints that when hit makes a red mist.
With a V-max at 3000 fps or faster sooner or later you will have a splash the size of a pie plate, and the dog will get up and run off. I know the first half dozen I shot with 220 swift and 50 gr. V-max did exactly that. Use a projectile designed for larger game or slow the V-max down.
You both make great points that I over looked. Thanks I will reload some and slow them down a bit. Thanks

they are tough but if you would change to berger bullets you would have a lot less run off they don't make up for poor hits but they do better than the others.i have shot them all over thew years.bergers go in then open up and destroy everything.side by side same speed there is no comparison.if you never try them you will never know.if you do let me know your experience.

Back