WTSHTF what are you doing to prepare...tips,tactics,strategies

Great points put forth by many. I have a couple of "crash cans" of ammo put together. You could throw them and a couple of guns into a truck in less than a minute. One is a .50 cal can of nothing but .22 lr for my rifle and pistol. Those are grocery getters while the critters last. The rest are strictly to keep the things I already have.

Up at our place we have been laying in some items. Food, water, ammo, staples that a person would need short or long term. Got tractors and a tiller but fuel supplies won't hold out for any really appreciaple length of time. Not to mention, after a while an engine running out in the country could possibly be a calling card to the less desirables.

In short, I am somewhat prepared but probably still not as prepared as I need to be. I'm sure whatever plan I have will not survive intact more than just a few days. There are a number of family members that claim to want to join us but my wife has told them all they had better bring supplies, skills, and a willingness to work. No layabouts will be allowed.

A lot of good points to consider... In the last neighborhood I lived, there were ten homes with limited access (same way in and out) and with Y2K looming, we has all discussed what each could contribute, should it get really bad... one was a doctor, one owned a grocery store, one was a carpenter, one could make almost anything work with a few pieces of scrap steel and we had 45 hardwood trees in my yard and the rest were about the same and five swimming pools for water supply. Having been a LEO, tactical defensive security was my contribution...

Since we moved, to another small 'red neck' county, I now live in a larger subdivision, but many neighbors have the same skills/assets to bring into the equation and the city Chief of Police lives right across the street, so we will be a relief station area for emergency responders...we still have an almost one way in/out situation...

I can survive where I am for at least a month on the supplies I have on hand and that, hopefully, will give me time to work out alternatives if needed...

I don't worry about available ammo in the event that I should need some...
AmmoInventory10-09.jpg

and it's organized so that it's identifiable and portable, as well as the few firearms I would take with me, in the event I had to relocate...My "bug out" supplies are readily available to be loaded in a couple of vehicles as well...

In the event that relocation would be necessary, there is an very large cave close to my old home area (two hours away) that is generally unknown to the public that would provide long term shelter for me and about ten other families that are 'on the survival list' to use it...The first ones can be there to take control of it in under twenty minutes...

As stated previously, survival will depend on grouping together with like minded people that can all contribute to the needs of the group...

Originally Posted By: jinxed247Everyone is different and it's hard enough in a military setting but when you try that on civilians it's not going to fly. Forced participation is never a good thing. You have to be able to get them to "see the light" in order to succeed. Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

Like I said, agree or not just throwing things out and I do agree with your forcing of duties,. But!

When they see their friends and family dying in front of them even Civilians become all ears and their frame of mind changes in seconds!

Vaportrail

Didn't read the whole thread, but think people should look at New Orleans and Argentina for what it would probably be like.

Widespread thuggery (by anybody).

Ferfal.blogspot.com I think offers some fair info.

I think the best thing to do is lay low and let the John and Jane Waynes duke it out with each other and the initial wave of morons.

I don't see the need to stockpile arms and ammo, as when that kind of mess hits I'll simply shop with a bullet.

Yeah, AR15? I'll "buy" a full auto.

People are applying todays social rules/structure to what will be a complete cluster you know what. That type of mind is gonna fry when it gets down and dirty.

No, watching zombie movies aint gonna prep folks like most seem to think.

Like Y2K nonsense, i know people who dug out under their houses, safe rooms, ammo bunkers and food for a yr............and they told people, or hired such jobs out (and those folks told people).

Others had firewood lined to the end of their driveways in town (hey everybody come here and take the wood and whatever else I might have prepped!).

My bud had everything needed out in the sticks, but on a dead end road and kinda visible. I told him the smoke from the chimney might drawattention. Better to run his generator off and on (behind house and not visible) and that more ammo for his two .223 semis was not needed.

The best thing would be black plastic sheeting, to cover all windows (lights burning bright when others aren't- will draw attention).

Nobody can win a war with no place to move, and truckload after truckload of idiots will come and wear you down, burn out your ammo supply, or just get a bullet in you or a loved one and pretty much take the fight away right there.

Lay low, prep for a bad normal extended mother nature event, and be subtle, sneaky if you have to kill for what you want or need.

Not saying you should prey upon good folks, there should be enough badguys running around to afford some luxury shopping for a fair period of time.

Last edited:
Good thread, I was one of the nonsense y2k's
blush.gif
,did'nt go wild with it,But had enough for a few months,Because in all honest NO one knew what was to happen.If the computers had shut down it would or could have took them a month or so to get them back on line.And we all know this nation stops if that would've happen.
I'm blessed to live out here in the country,We have a garden, chickens also plenty of game,But my wife is on Med-that she has to have & without a DR,prescription we cannot get it,She has to go each month to get them refilled,or another prescription.
Have any of you thought about that? An do you have an answer?
confused.gif
Mark,,,,,

It's good to see so much participation in this thread. I tried a thread similar to this a couple of years ago. Very little participation and several folks thought it was ludicrous to prepare for a social and economic collapse. That just ain't gonna happen in America! Right? Maybe more people in this country are waking up.

I read where a couple of folks mentioned power generators and how vulnerable they make you. The sound of the engine is like a dinner bell saying come and get it. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with solar generators that operate silently? Also, someone asked about a greenhouse that would work most of the year even in the cold north but didn't see a response. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Quote:I think the best thing to do is lay low and let the John and Jane Waynes duke it out with each other and the initial wave of morons. There is a lot of merit to that position, if you can be totally self sufficient...
Quote:Nobody can win a war with no place to move, and truckload after truckload of idiots will come and wear you down, burn out your ammo supply, or just get a bullet in you or a loved one and pretty much take the fight away right there. One of the best reasons to band together for survival if a long duration event happens..
Quote:I don't see the need to stockpile arms and ammo, as when that kind of mess hits I'll simply shop with a bullet.
You will be the individual that I'll be waiting to show up at my place..
Quote:several folks thought it was ludicrous to prepare for a social and economic collapse. If the increase in Solar Flares grows to the anticipated degree that has been forecast for 2012, most electronic communications will be down for sometime...Try getting money due electronically between banks, or operating ATMs during that time...It's been my understanding that most electrical grids may be the first to be affected, if it gets that serious...
Quote:But my wife is on Med-that she has to have & without a DR,prescription we cannot get it,She has to go each month to get them refilled,or another prescription. ADK, I'm in the same position (six BP meds) and every month, I get my refills just a "little" early and save the excess few for a reserve...It lets me build up, over time, an emergency supply, just in case...

You can buy most meds HERE (non-narcotic) with out being limited by a prescription. They'll sell you up to 6 months per order and send it to you by mail.

The OldTurtle is very wise.
smile.gif

Nuke-I can remember a handful (or less) times that I have used my three round burst on my service M16. All of those times I was firing blanks because it helped cycle the dirty little rounds. Here in Iraq I have never taken my weapon off of semi. Well aimed shots beats spray and pray any day.(it ryhmes...sorry about that!)

The best reason to band together is for the truckload after truckload of idiots. And Turtle is again right that if you are one of the people out there shopping with a bullet, I have no problem putting people like that down. By your words alone you would be one of those "dirtbags" to keep you going.

As far as meds...that's a tough one. I know that you are supposed to throw out meds when they are expired but I know that I save any left over anti-biotics and such just in case. You would slowly have to build up a supply like Turtle suggested. It would be rough I am not going to lie. Maybe natural herbs that you can grow in a garden can help regulate BP? I am not an herbalist but there is probably something out there that has the natural effects that your body needs. I will see if I can do some research on the subject when I have time.

As far as not preparing for social and economic collapse it's like I have said before...better to have and not need than need and not have. I liken it to the belief in God. How do we know he exists? Faith. What happens if we die and there is no God or afterlife and we spent all of that time trying to make ourselves prepared for His judgement? Nothing. Because you are dead. On the flip side what if you said there is no heaven or God so you don't do anything to prepare? Everything. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is better to be prepared than not be. What happens if nothing ever happens and you spent time preparing for WTSHTF? Nothing. You'll be fine. If and or WTSHTF and you are caught unprepared...everything.

I have got to run but I will try and be on later to start a new preparation topic in this thread.

Originally Posted By: NM LeonYou can buy most meds HERE (non-narcotic) with out being limited by a prescription. They'll sell you up to 6 months per order and send it to you by mail.

I.M.O., this is the most valuable piece of information on this thread. Thanks Leon.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: jinxed247The OldTurtle is very wise.
smile.gif

As far as not preparing for social and economic collapse it's like I have said before...better to have and not need than need and not have. I liken it to the belief in God. How do we know he exists? Faith. What happens if we die and there is no God or afterlife and we spent all of that time trying to make ourselves prepared for His judgement? Nothing. Because you are dead. On the flip side what if you said there is no heaven or God so you don't do anything to prepare? Everything. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is better to be prepared than not be. What happens if nothing ever happens and you spent time preparing for WTSHTF? Nothing. You'll be fine. If and or WTSHTF and you are caught unprepared...everything.

Oldturtle is very wise but so are you and I expect you are not as old as the Turtle.

Leon, I thank you for the link... I looked and I can get three of the six there... it will save some explaining to my drug insurance when I order early...
grin.gif

Quote:I know that you are supposed to throw out meds when they are expired but I know that I save any left over anti-biotics and such just in case.
Same here,,,For instance, I'm subject to severe leg cramps after some forms of strenuous physical activity and was prescribed Quinine capsules to alleviate them...

I was talking to my primary care doctor and he informed me that now, physicians are restricted from prescribing them for anything other than diagnosed Malaria, so what supply I have left are treated like gold and only taken when herbals don't work...

The best reason to band together is for the truckload after truckload of idiots. And Turtle is again right that if you are one of the people out there shopping with a bullet, I have no problem putting people like that down. By your words alone you would be one of those "dirtbags" to keep you going.

If people like this are gonna stick together then they proberly made plans already to do so.. The internet isnt a good place to advertise what you got as in (Ammo , supply's , vehicles , hiding places , or your Bragging you got a survival list on what people your gonna be living with and where ) ,( NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL ) When the first bullet goes over your head all that trusting goes out the window (Are there any VETS here ? ) you know what im saying ( OPERATIONAL- SECURITY ) Keep your ideas to your self and your team-mates if you got any you can trust....( Ive seen comments on here they have no problem putting a bullet in anyone ) have you been there ? it's quite a adrenalin rush so you''ll have to prove that to whoever your with if you've never made that shot chances are IT AINT HAPPENING !!!! Not to shoot your plane out of the air by any means ( IT'S JUST NOT THAT EASY FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE ) anyway.... Dont got shopping around my ''AO'' (area of operations) Like oldturtle said you wont like it.. Ikind-a like some of the stuff that you commented on OLDTURTLE... The big MO aint that far from here maybe if ( TSHTF ) we''ll cross path's...and we can be friends..

Originally Posted By: LongbarrelThe best reason to band together is for the truckload after truckload of idiots. And Turtle is again right that if you are one of the people out there shopping with a bullet, I have no problem putting people like that down. By your words alone you would be one of those "dirtbags" to keep you going.

If people like this are gonna stick together then they proberly made plans already to do so.. The internet isnt a good place to advertise what you got as in (Ammo , supply's , vehicles , hiding places , or your Bragging you got a survival list on what people your gonna be living with and where ) ,( NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL ) When the first bullet goes over your head all that trusting goes out the window (Are there any VETS here ? ) you know what im saying ( OPERATIONAL- SECURITY ) Keep your ideas to your self and your team-mates if you got any you can trust....( Ive seen comments on here they have no problem putting a bullet in anyone ) have you been there ? it's quite a adrenalin rush so you''ll have to prove that to whoever your with if you've never made that shot chances are IT AINT HAPPENING !!!! Not to shoot your plane out of the air by any means ( IT'S JUST NOT THAT EASY FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE ) anyway.... Dont got shopping around my ''AO'' (area of operations) Like oldturtle said you wont like it.. Ikind-a like some of the stuff that you commented on OLDTURTLE... The big MO aint that far from here maybe if ( TSHTF ) we''ll cross path's...and we can be friends..

My group is made up of mostly vets (myself included) for OPSEC's sake I have only included some of what I have. My goal here wasn't to brag or tell everyone where I am going or exactly where I am at. Just general descriptions. My goal for this thread is to just get people thinking about their prepardness and hopefully spark some ideas. Shooting someone is not that easy. I don't think that it was meant to be. That being said it is alot easier to shoot someone who is shooting at you or threatening you and your battles. I am sure that alot of people can't do it, but at the same time it would probably be easier if you were defending your family. I know that the members of my group would have absolutely no problem putting someone down should the need ever arise.

I fortunately would stay right where I am. My last house payment will be Nov. 1 2011. Haven't had a charge card for 6 or 7 years. One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is antibiotics. The best laid plan could end very quickly without them. They can be bought.

I served 7.5 yrs as a Cavalry Scout in the 10th MTN DIV. I have three combat tours in Iraq and a couple purple hearts to go along with it. So I think my opinion might have some experience behind it.I know for a fact that if you are bragging about killin people with ease ( i'm not accusing anyone of this, just my opinion)that you will be the first one to burry your face in the sand and hide under your ruck. I don't care if their shootin first or not. I agree about sharin to much info, could possibly make you a target. However I do like this thread very much, hope it will help some of the ones who havent thought it through.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I fortunately would stay right where I am. My last house payment will be Nov. 1 2011. Haven't had a charge card for 6 or 7 years. One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is antibiotics. The best laid plan could end very quickly without them. They can be bought.

When you say you can buy antibiotics, are you refering to a pill not just a topical cream correct? And if so...where?

With the above being said, ADK and OldTurtle brought up some good thinking points about family with medicine needs. Thank you NM Leon for posting that link.

Just in case the emergency or WTSHTF lasts longer than you have supplies for I did some quick research and found these interesting books. I don't make any claims that these would work, however I think that it does warrant further investigation.

The Medicinal Garden:How to Grow and Use Your Own Medicinal Herbs by Anne McIntyre

A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs of Eastern and Central North America (Petersons Field Guide) by Steven Foster and James A Duke

Natural Remedies and Healing Herbs by Jenny Carter

I think that another concern to not only meds but is what happens if somebody gets hurt. Ideally, someone in your group would (if you go the group route) have some sort of practical medical skills. Medic,Dr.,combat medic, even a vetranarian etc. would all have useful knowledge. If you don't have access to any of these type of people you might want to educate yourself. I stumbled across a couple of books on this subject when I was looking for the herbal medicine stuff.

Wilderness Medicine,Beyond First Aid by William Forery

Medicine for the Outdoors, by Paul S. Auerbach MD.

When there is No Doctor by Gerard S. Doyle

And another book that I think is important;

When there is No Dentist by Murray Dickinson

THere are also a number of books on the subject of field surgery but I haven't looked into them enough to see if it's a bunch of technical language or if they dumbed it down for people like me!

If anybody does happen to purchase these books and tries any of the techniques out, please post your results. Pros Cons, successes and or failures. What you would do different etc.

I think that most any where I might try to go is already going to have someone there who isn't going to be interested in having someone from the outside drop in on them & camp.

Back