WTSHTF what are you doing to prepare...tips,tactics,strategies

sounds like i'm coming to your place wtshtf
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill B.My father in law and I have discussed this at length. Short term (week or so) I'd hold at my house but for anything longer term people of like mind will have to join together. You can't stay up 24 hours a day protecting your stuff and family.

My gun choices are pretty basic, .223, .30-06, .22lr, and I have managed to become .30-30 rich. I own three of them but they were all inherited. I once told my wife that, under the right conditions, the .30-30 could become your best friend once again. A 12 gauge shotgun is almost like a hammer. You need at least one, but two or three is never a bad thing.

Have a piece of property with building, creek, wildlife, and a little seclusion. A few decent neighbors also. It wouldn't be easy, but it could be done.

This is just the way I see it,.Agree or not,.It's just my opinion!

Bill B.

I agree! People of liked mind set is the answer. BUT!,..I'll take it further! An established chain of command is a must! This will provide control and will allow for expansion of forces and equal distributions of neccesities.

If "TSHTF" as we say,. do you really think we are all going to live like Jeremiah Johnson? Growing our little gardens canning our food and drinking from a tanned goats bladder underground and survive without joining and consolidating forces? NOT!

Recruitment of new friends and neighbors and other organized groups is a must! They will need to be screened for trustworthness and accountability, a complete controlled inventory of assets and supplies has to be an on going and accurate control measure.

Assignments of duties and responsibilities to the main body will provide control for long term stabilization,survivability,and provides the platform to sustain the new force.

Underground operations?(A MUST)There will be "No boundries" if "TSHTF" and until the new majority convinces all non participants or not that The Constitution of the United States is still and always will be the answer and the road map of the new future, then we might as well give up and blow away with the dust,. Until then, all is free for the taking and for redistribution to accomplish the mission of jump starting the Constitution again!

"United We Stand, Divided We Fall"

I heard that somewhere before?
thumbup1.gif

Vaportrail

Vaportrail-I agree with getting with like minded people. My main concern is establishing that chain of command. When you get a bunch of type A personalities everyone wants to be the chief..nobody wants to be the indians. That's why I would lean more towards family. There's already an established hiearchy in place. A good leader is one that listens to all ideas with an open mind. You will not get far (I am not saying you're implying this) with a "you must do as I say attitude or else." Normaly, if they have been friends and neighbors for awhile, a natural hiearchy usually reveals itself, but you start introducing strangers to the mix all with different personalities and agendas and diff ideas on how things should be run, you would be setting yourself up for failure.
I often have to prove myself to my superiors (who have just met me) because I look way younger than I actually am. I am 32 but look like I am about 20 (curse or a blessing you choose!). It's because of this that when I get assigned a new team member, that I have to constantly remind them that I am not their 20yr old buddy from back on the block. It happens everytime. So I have had to learn new ways to get through to certain people to establish the fact that I am their leader. THat I was put there because of my experience not because of rank. SOme people like it when you explain it to them, some take a lot of smoking to get the point across. Everyone is different and it's hard enough in a military setting but when you try that on civilians it's not going to fly. Forced participation is never a good thing. You have to be able to get them to "see the light" in order to succeed. Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

Growing up as a kid all I ever wanted to be was a mountain man. One person I could always depend on was myself. Civilization has decayed so much although the Tea Party has renewed some faith in the system but I would want to go it alone with my family of course.

FWIW, I have friends in southeast FL. They tell me about times when hurricane blew through & people ran generators to keep their freezers cold.

And they'd wake up to find that their generators had been stolen.

Jinxed247, You got it right, if im going to die defending property or life i can think of no one better to die for than family. Stay away from people till the smoke rises, then you can start making plans. ed

Here is something I just found that is a good starting point to get you thinking in the right direction

12 Simple Things You Can Start Doing Right Now To Prepare For The Coming Financial Apocalypse

It is becoming increasingly apparent that the U.S. economy is heading for complete and total disaster. State and local governments across the nation are uncontrollably bleeding red ink. The federal government has accumulated the largest debt in world history. Every year we buy hundreds of billions of dollars more from the rest of the world than they buy from us. That means that we are getting hundreds of billions of dollars poorer as a nation every single year. Meanwhile, thousands of factories and millions of jobs continue to be sent overseas as American cities turn into post-industrial wastelands. Incomes are down, unemployment remains at depressingly high levels and very few of our politicians seem to have any idea how to fix things. Yes, things are really, really bad. So what are some things that we can all be doing to prepare for the coming financial apocalypse?

Well, the truth is that we all need to start becoming less dependent on "the system". If the economy does completely fall apart at some point, your employer is probably not going to take care of you. Neither is the federal government - just look at what happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. In the end, you are going to have to take care of yourself and your family.
So are you ready?

Now is the time to prepare. If you wait until things totally fall apart it will be far too late.
The following are 12 simple things that you can start doing right now to prepare for the coming financial apocalypse....

#1 Become Less Dependent On Your Job
Many people define a job as the state of being "just over broke". The truth is that it is incredibly difficult to become financially independent working for someone else. Now, the truth is that most Americans would not be able to survive without a job, but what would you do if someday you suddenly lost your job during a financial apocalypse? Now is the time to start investigating alternate sources of income and different ways to build wealth. Today it takes the average unemployed American over 33 weeks to find a job. You may not always be able to count on being able to get a good job, and the economy is only going to get worse over the long-term. All of us should be operating under the assumption that any jobs we now have will someday be taken away.

#2 Get Out Of Debt
Some people disagree with this, but unless society degenerates into complete chaos or we experience Weimar Republic-type hyperinflation, the truth is that your debts are going to continue to hang over you wherever you go. Getting out of debt can be completely and totally liberating. It will give you much more freedom and will make you far less dependent on your job. In fact, it looks like a lot of Americans are already moving in this direction. It was recently announced that 8 million Americans have stopped using their credit cards over the past year. Why not join them? When things start really falling apart and it is incredibly difficult for anyone to get a job, the last thing you want is a huge amount of debt hanging over your head.

#3 Reduce Expenses
For decades, most Americans have been living far beyond their means. In the future, times are going to be really tough and we are all going to have to learn to tighten our belts. Do you and your family waste money right now? If you can eliminate that, you can live on a smaller income and you will have more money to invest in the things that are really going to matter.

#4 Purchase Land
Real estate is still priced too high in most areas of the United States, but the truth is that you don't want to wait forever to get your hands on a piece of land. If a "financial apocalypse" does happen, you don't want to be stuck in a big city with no place to go. You always want to have somewhere that you can "bug out" to. The U.S. real estate market is continuing to struggle right now, so hopefully prices will come down even more and there will be some really great deals available over the next couple of years.

#5 Learn To Grow Food
Another reason why you want to purchase some land is so that you will have somewhere to grow food if you need to. 100 years ago almost all Americans knew how to grow their own food, and most of them also knew how to raise farm animals. Today, relatively few Americans have those skills. A great way to begin is by starting your own "survival garden". If you are not already doing this, then why not start this upcoming year?

#6 Find A Reliable Source Of Water
Water is going to become a very, very valuable resource in the years to come. It will be absolutely key for you and your family to have a dependable source of clean drinking water. If you do not have water you will not be able to survive for long. In the event of an economic meltdown, basic services such as power and water may not be there. So be certain that you and your family have an alternate source of water to depend upon.

#7 Explore Alternative Energy Sources
This point is similar to the one above. Do you think that if a financial apocalypse happens that you will always be able to depend on the power company? The truth is that there is a good reason why so many Americans have been trying to go "off the grid". Without power, life gets really difficult very quickly. But if you are generating your own power then you won't have to worry about that.

#8 Store Supplies
In the event of a major disaster or emergency, store shelves are going to empty really fast. If supplies are disrupted on a permanent basis, you may have to get by on what you already have in your home. So do you and your family have enough warm clothes, personal hygiene products and medical supplies to last for an extended period of time? Hopefully your local stores will always be able to supply what you need, but we need to prepare as if that is not guaranteed.

#9 Protect Your Assets With Gold And Silver
The way that the Federal Reserve is abusing the U.S. dollar, it is only a matter of time before rampant inflation sets in. Even now, the U.S. dollar has already been seriously declining and precious metals like gold and silver have been shooting into the stratosphere. In the future, your paper money may not buy much for you at all, but if you have some gold or silver coins you can always exchange them for the things that you are going to need.

#10 Learn Self-Defense
Did you see what happened at stores from coast to coast this past Black Friday? Americans were literally trampling one another just to get their hands on some cheap foreign-made plastic crap. So what do you think is going to happen once these people have been without food for two or three days? Now is the time to think about how you will defend your home and your family from crazed looters. It is not a fun thing to think about, but unfortunately we are heading for times that will not always be pretty.

#11 Keep Yourself Fit
As Americans, we live such "cushy" lives. But when times get hard things will not be so cushy. In fact, the years ahead are likely to demand quite a bit of physical activity. So keep yourself in good physical condition right now. In the future you will be very glad that you did.

#12 Make Friends
It is really, really hard to "survive" by yourself. Those who will thrive the most in the future are those who will have a community that they can depend on. Americans are always at their best when they work together. Don't be afraid to reach out to your family and friends. In the times ahead the world will be a very cold place, and a little love and compassion will go a long way.

this is the site it came from http://www.awrm.org/

All of you seem to be trying to prepare for some "Mad Max" post nuclear holocaust/armageddon type scenario instead of "Not only for the obvious reasons but in case of natural disasters such as ice storms,micro-bursts or extended power outages.

Truth is, if you live in or near a city and that were ever to happen, odds are you (and 99% of the residents) would be dead in a couple of weeks. If you did survive, long term you'd be better off learning how to run a forge and make black powder muskets than trying to stock up on guns and ammo.

Actually, having a useful semi-primitive skill would probably be the best survival trait you could develop. If your skills are a valuable commodity, you will survive, no matter the societal structure or hierarchy that develops.

Having "enough" guns and ammo on hand to be able to weather the decades of societal darkness that would follow an armageddon type event, would probably be more likely to make you a target than anything else.

In a total meltdown, a man with a rifle is probably better left alone. A man with an armory would be worth fighting.

For a natural disaster, a couple of weeks water and canned/dry food will probably do ya. Beyond that, it's just how comfortable you want your "hardship" to be. A generator to keep the ice cream frozen isn't really a necessity.

I consider the guns and ammo a necessity even in normal times, and certainly have enough on hand to last just fine for natural disaster type emergencies, discouraging looters etc.

Originally Posted By: BUSCHYSo if you have to move and I'm saying a 200 mile move. Are you that mobile?

That was going to be on one of my next subjects. You could use the ol shoe leather express if needed...would be much more dangerous but is doable. I was going to recommend (this is asuming of course vehicles are not available for use for some reason) investing in some mountain bikes but if you need to leave in a hurry it is very unlikely that you'll be able to get to them.

200 miles is not impossible. My friends and I, when we were younger of course, used to go on hiking trips along the Olympic penisula/pacific ocean for three days and we would cover roughly 70 miles. That was up and down wood trails and along the beaches. If you have to be mobile with your family that would suck pretty bad but you could manage it in probably a couple of weeks tops, assuming that you don't run into any problems and everyone remains healthy. Ideally, you would have some sort of way to get around but usually by the time you realize that you need to bug out it's almost too late. If not too late.

That's why you just grab and go and regroup after. I wouldn't recommend taking off the 200 miles right when you bail. If it were me (and I was thinking straight at the time) I would find a somewhat secluded/safe spot to sit down and plan your next move. Take in what the situation is and try to rationally plan what you are going to do and how you can achieve it. If your plan is a 200 mile journey and that's your only back-up plan. I would hope that you would have pre-packed what you would need for that journey in your bug out bag.

Originally Posted By: NM LeonAll of you seem to be trying to prepare for some "Mad Max" post nuclear holocaust/armageddon type scenario instead of "Not only for the obvious reasons but in case of natural disasters such as ice storms,micro-bursts or extended power outages.

Truth is, if you live in or near a city and that were ever to happen, odds are you (and 99% of the residents) would be dead in a couple of weeks. If you did survive, long term you'd be better off learning how to run a forge and make black powder muskets than trying to stock up on guns and ammo.

Actually, having a useful semi-primitive skill would probably be the best survival trait you could develop. If your skills are a valuable commodity, you will survive, no matter the societal structure or hierarchy that develops.

Having "enough" guns and ammo on hand to be able to weather the decades of societal darkness that would follow an armageddon type event, would probably be more likely to make you a target than anything else.

In a total meltdown, a man with a rifle is probably better left alone. A man with an armory would be worth fighting.

For a natural disaster, a couple of weeks water and canned/dry food will probably do ya. Beyond that, it's just how comfortable you want your "hardship" to be. A generator to keep the ice cream frozen isn't really a necessity.

I consider the guns and ammo a necessity even in normal times, and certainly have enough on hand to last just fine for natural disaster type emergencies, discouraging looters etc.

I think that I will take the Mormon approach to food storage. They are supposed to have a years supply of food for each family member saved. Canning food and dehydrating is pretty big with them and most wards actually have a class on food storage and canning. I think that this would be the smartest way to prepare for any natural or man-made disaster. Better to have and not need than need and not have. I will try and post more on the above a little later.

I hear ya on the guns too. That's why you don't show all your cards at once. I wouldn't walk around with all my types of firearms displayed for everyone to see. It would be more as a "surprise MF'er" type moment. I agree that most people in big cities would be screwed. And in their pandamonium (sp?) would fan out from the cities in desperation.

And Fox...great tips by the way. Unfortunately, i think that we are almost past that point for getting debt free and investing. I should have done that years ago but like many others procrastinated for far too long. I guess the best I can do right now is keep my dental work up to date and keep storing food and seeds that germinate!

I appreciate your reply and agree that you would just hit the road and then regroup.

I was more wondering with the arsenal that most of the responders are talking that they may or may not have ready is, how fast could you be ready to leave and get those "necessities" out with you.

If you needed them to survive at home you are going to need them no matter where you go.

You can't carry 200lbs of ammo and 12 guns on a mountain bike. So say you have a Suburban and hit the road. How long would it take you to choose and pack the necessities and be gone. Personally I bet I could do it for a 5 member household in under 20 minutes. Food, weapons, shelter, clothing, and a couple surprises.

I think a lot of people could last at home for a week if they had no other choice. I don't believe half as many could do the same if they were forced away from their everyday shelter and make due and really survive.

Just a thought. Not saying anyone is unprepared or anything of that nature.

Some of the stuff I read about shtf stuff sounds good but in reality will do you no good I mean what good is having 50 guns with 10k round of ammo for each you can't carry them all or the ammo so whats the point in having them it might impress your friends but if this happens they will just be a target for someone to come take. I hear all these stories about guys thinking they are gonna stand up to an armed fight against a military force I don't care how big and bad you think you are behind the computer screen you will lose they are trained to do this you more than likely are not the best thing to do would be to stay away from people and avoid a fight in a worse case situation you main key should be survival at all costs. When and if this happens I will disappear with my family and survive the best we can away from people.

I appreciate your reply and agree that you would just hit the road and then regroup.

I was more wondering with the arsenal that most of the responders are talking that they may or may not have ready is, how fast could you be ready to leave and get those "necessities" out with you.

If you needed them to survive at home you are going to need them no matter where you go.

You can't carry 200lbs of ammo and 12 guns on a mountain bike. So say you have a Suburban and hit the road. How long would it take you to choose and pack the necessities and be gone. Personally I bet I could do it for a 5 member household in under 20 minutes. Food, weapons, shelter, clothing, and a couple surprises.

I think a lot of people could last at home for a week if they had no other choice. I don't believe half as many could do the same if they were forced away from their everyday shelter and make due and really survive.

Just a thought. Not saying anyone is unprepared or anything of that nature.

I think that there is a big misconception that you will be able to take all of your stuff with you if you have to bail out. especially on the firearms part.

I couldn't agree with you more. That's the beauty of bug out bags. You pack them according to your needs. Say you do have that suburban and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you could make it to it with your family, then I would basically be living out of those big plastic bins with everything in them so that all you have to do is grab them and go.

As far as the arsenal that you would carry, that's up to the individual. But for me I know that if I have to grab my BOB (bug out bag) and beat feet that I am going to lose stuff. Better lose my stuff than my life. I would have my M4 next to the BOB with about 9 mags in the bag. I would sacrifice all of my other weapons just to be able to get out in time.

If you can swing a chest harness or drop leg mag holder for other magazines then by all means. But you have to remember too that the more weight you carry=the slower you move. You can actually pack quite a bit into a bug out bag and if your family members each have one then that's just an added bonus.

In my BOB I have just one change of clothes but a couple of pairs of underwear and about five pairs of socks. To help save room I vaccum seal everything and it shrinks it down nicely as well as waterproofs it. I have about three total MRE's broken down and again vaccum sealed for saving space. For typing sake let's just assume that I sealed everything! I have a magneisum stick for starting fires,matches, a hikers water purification kit (from Dick's Sporting Goods for $78),small medical kit,candles,flashlight with extra batteries and spare bulb, couple of rolls of TP! And a couple of spare mags. On the outside of my bag I have an entrenching tool,three man tent (on the top), and sleeping bag on the bottom. And I have three AR molle mag pouches that will hold two mags apiece.
This is just an example of what I have and if I wasn't in Iraq right now, I would break it down and take some pics to show how I have it set-up.
It's important to note to change the contents of your bag along with the seasons. It would be pretty counter productive if you needed to change your pants and all you packed was an extra pair of shorts and it's 20 degrees outside!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FOXTRAPPERSome of the stuff I read about shtf stuff sounds good but in reality will do you no good I mean what good is having 50 guns with 10k round of ammo for each you can't carry them all or the ammo so whats the point in having them it might impress your friends but if this happens they will just be a target for someone to come take. I hear all these stories about guys thinking they are gonna stand up to an armed fight against a military force I don't care how big and bad you think you are behind the computer screen you will lose they are trained to do this you more than likely are not the best thing to do would be to stay away from people and avoid a fight in a worse case situation you main key should be survival at all costs. When and if this happens I will disappear with my family and survive the best we can away from people.

I never said have 50 guns or 10k of ammo. I also advise not walking around with your hardware to advertise everything that you have. Trust me when I tell you I know how the military is trained (I am in Iraq right now). First of all you do not stand in a toe to toe fight with somebody that is better armed and bigger than you. Second of all, I am not saying to take on the military. If you want to go right ahead, it's your funeral. Thirdly, where would you go to avoid people? You don't think that every Tom,Dick and Harry won't head to the woods or countryside once their city emplodes? Wild game would probably disappear after awhile and you can't live on wild game forever...they are relatively fat free. You would have to scrape the fat from the hides and melt them and dip your meat in them to get what you need.

Always avoid a fight if you can. But when you can't, put it on them like a MF'er. The excess guns and ammo are more for you have time to move to where you are going. Like for instance my Dad's place. Plenty of room and not horrible to fortify (if needed). If I had to move my family out to my Dad's and I wasn't just packing my bug out bag then yeah I would bring all of that with me and contribute to the general pool there. There are 6 people in my family (including me). Four of us can shoot and safely use firearms. The other two are just learning the basics now. That's four guns in the fight right there. It's not how many guns you have but how you deploy them.

I just caught one of your last lines "survival at all costs." Wouldn't that envolve the use of firearms? Like I said, you can't always run from a fight and there are dirtbags out there that wouldn't care if you were unarmed. You also can't keep your supplies without a fight. Somethings are worth fighting and dying for. My families saftey and survival is my number one concern.

and Buschy. If you have to bail out with your BOB then more than likely you will have it rough (unless you pre-positioned supplies to your back up spot). You would have to start over from scratch. But at least you are alive to attempt to do so. I think of the bug out bag as a lifeline. As long as you are alive then at least you have a chance.

So heres just a couple things that ya'll might not have thought of...

Canned food is awesome to have but don't forget the can opener, kind of obvious, but I'll bet someone out there will forget it!!

Consider baby wipes instead of toilet paper. Even if you try your best to waterproof stuff it will eventually get wet. Try wiping your bum with wet TP, not fun. Baby wipes will add little weight but they wont fall apart if they get wet, or you can dry them and save the weight.

Foot wear... have a good comfortable set of boots. Not your big waterproof hunting boots, but something thats comfortable and something you can walk in for long periods of time w/o tearing up your feet with blisters. same for socks. I dont wanna be the guy trying to BO in loafers and dress socks.carry some mole skin in your bag to aid w/ blisters.

One last thing, I was wondering how the Brita water pitchers would work for water purification of water in the woods, or are they not strong enough.

Back