When do you stop and let them breed?

Rich. I believe that just the opposite is true. At this past SHOT show in Feb. I was told that predator calling oriented boothes comprised more than 50% of the show. In years past they comprised an estimated 5%. All of the calling oriented companies that I speak with, from editors of calling magazines to representatives for call manufacturers, ALL, believe that the industry is perched on the cusp of a growth wave such as archery hunting enjoyed in the 80s and whitetail hunting enjoyed in the 70s. If you do make it out here to call for a few days you will inevitably run into other callers. Every ranch and farm that we stop at tells us of the callers that hunt on or near their property several, I repeat, SEVERAL times a week. There is a virtual tidal wave of instructional videos on the shelves of the sporting goods stores and in their catalogs. Sportsman's Warehouse cannot keep Fox Pros in stock. I have seen a dramatic increase in the popularity of calling in most of the states that I have called in.

I believe that a closed season for coyotes that gave them protection for only March through August would benefit callers in two ways. First it would improve the quality of calling in areas of high pressure, east and west. The first couple of months of the season ,calling to coyotes that respond with confidence and enthusiasm, would increase the success rate for novices and callers of intermediate skills. Coyotes that charge into the stand provide considerably more excitement than sneakers that test you from cover far downwind.
Second, by campaigning for seasonal protection for the coyote, we demonstrate to our detractors and to the fence sitters that actually hold the future of our sport in their voters hands, that we value and take seriously the stewardship of game management that our destruction of habitat has made necessary. We live in an age of game management by voter initiative. They have the potential to deprive us of any sporting PRIVILEGE that they consider undisney-like. We need to police ourselves. Humans have demonstrated since the time of Hamarabi that a certain segment of society is unable to behave within socially acceptable limits. "Hunters" totally exterminated the passenger pigeon because the law did not protect it. Wholesale slaughter of bison reduced their numbers from an estimated 60,000,000 to 150,000 in 25 years because it was not protected by law. Deer, elk, turkey all were killed off to the point of endangerment before they were protected by law. Because killing a species at all times of year, parents and puppies alike is not illegal does not make it socially acceptable. Those that will not police themselves are destined to have it done for them.

EDIT Mike I did not see your postbefore I typed in mine, or I would not have repeated what you had already stated so clearly.
ChileRojo. You crack me up. You skewered with one sentence what I had to run on about for an entire page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Rob well said pal!!

I would hunt coyote and bobcat over all other game animal. They can eat every turkey, deer, and rabbit around make no never mined to me. I ant in the live stock ranching trade so that isn’t what gets me up in the morning to blow air though a wooden dowelon a cold a$$ morning. I couldn’t tell you what drives me to play in this game of predator hunting, If I really wonted to I couldn’t tell ya. I cann't describe it, and if you a fanatic caller like I am Then I most likely don’t have to. I have no problems hunting them any time of year. What sticks me is that a lot off guys will talk a good game with their ethics till it soot’s them to do other whys.
Like some will say they don’t hunt them till the fur is good, you may ask what do I think of this? Are there guys out calling coyote for there fur? Is it worth that much and are you killing enough to make it worth wild? Or is it just that it sound good and ethical? How about the guys that don’t hunt them till they have weaned their pups but post photos of dead coyotes March. Then go on to tell you well
(I GOT A CALL ) that it was killing someone’s chickens or terrorizing some elderly lady and here cat. This way his ethics aren’t in jeopardy with the guys. Yea and the contest I found that funny also. The same guys trying to show you how ethical and respectful to the critters are asking you to help throw the winning coyotes in the contest in the brush. (Ethical?)
I could go on and on. As long as it legal to harvest them and you doing it legal then there is no ethical question to be ask leave that for the anti groups. But I do think that many will post there thought and ethics on the way they feel it should be witch is fine as long as it applies to you and not just the rest of us. I am all for doing what you got to do and wont to do in your area as long as its legal. And no coyotes shouldn't be on a fur bearers tag Because I don’t hunt them for there fur and dont think you do ether!
I hunt them cause I can thats my nature.
I am Deep down in side a hunter-gatherer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GOT TO GET UP AND GO FISHING
SO I SAY TO YEA GOOD NIGHT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I must have missed something??

I did, page 4. Good to see some more folks jumping into this fray.

Last edited:

Quote:
Ranchers in Canada don't seem to mind having coyotes around,

Can you tell me were this is going on because all the ranches I hunt from British Colombia to new Brunswick and many place in-between I have yet to meet a rancher that will not let you hunt coyotes or one that don’t shoot them on sight
Maybe one, I once hunted coyote on a wheat farm. If they don’t care why do they have open season on them and no limits nor do you need a guide in some places in Canada to hunt them and you cant hunt anything up there without a guide
But they will let you hunt coyotes all you wont

Last edited:
I once hunted about 1:45min from Calgary and the guy I hunted with on his sheep ranch all he said is he wish they bring back Strychnine.he told me when he was a young man that he got a bounty for them and would put strychine in there dens

Well, I don't want a seasom on them either. Then comes having to buy a license to shoot them and then comes tags to buy to shoot them. The fur bearer issue is really only for those guys that think they can make a buck off of that coyote. I can't give coyotes away in winter here and I sure won't spend the time to put up their fur when I can't make more than a few cents per hour involved to do it. And then I would have to buy a trappers license to sell the furs and that would pretty much wipe out what I would make putting them up and selling them.
I hunt them because I like to hunt and they are funner to hunt than jackrabbits or squierrels. I am not a doctor or lawyer or company ceo or even a well off buiseness man to be able to afford to hunt wherever my money can take me. So I hunt coyotes and have been doing it for a really long time now and they are one of the funnest animals to hunt in my book. And what makes them great is also being able to go out any time I feel like hunting and go hunting without some seasonal restraints attached to an unprotected speices. They are after all that in this state, along with racoons, skunks, badgers, jackrabbits,ground squierrels and a few others. I don't hate them, I just love shooting them. They are great targets. Much funner than jackrabbits or squierrels....Walt

"They have the potential to deprive us of any sporting PRIVILEGE that they consider undisney-like."
----------------
Rich H.,
In my state, the hunting of summer coyotes is very rare. Very few anti hunters or fence sitters ever see it happen here. What they DO see is beer drinking, wild eyed fellers chasing winter coyotes with 4x4 pickup trucks, ATV's and snowmobiles. I would love to see that silly practice brought to a screaching halt. A closed season on coyotes from March thru August is not needed here.

Yes, Rich I see those same type of morons in my area. If they learned how to hunt on foot they would probably get more coyotes. But then I guess some are too lazy to hunt on foot, one on one.T.20

I know many ranchers that (TRY TO)shoot every yote they get a shot at but none of them HATE the animal,they all appreciate what a crafty prey they are and enjoy the occasinal shooting opportunity at a speeding target,but of these ranchers i dont know ANY that wish there were more of them.I know many,many hunters but very few of them are willing to make a mid winter hunting trip just to hunt coyotes,for me its an excuse to get out in the hills after all the other seasons are finished,to work on my photography and get some shooting practice,to them its a waste of gas and time.Back when the hides were worth more(enough to pay for your fuel) I knew quite a few guys that hunted them on a regular basis,now they dont bother.I can say i know fewer people now that hunt yotes than any time in my short life,if the fur prices ever go up again there will be more guys out but right now its a rare occasion when somone wants to go out yotin in mid winter.

Last edited:
Nonya, that must be a local thing. We have more coyote hunters here than we ever had in the past. I go out in mid-winter and sometimes run into 3 or 4 other vehicles with hunters calling coyotes. In the past, it was rare to find another dedicated coyote hunter around here. Now they are everywhere.

Over the last several years i havnt bumped into one other coyote hunter after the end of general hunting season,and you can get access to almost every ranch around here to hunt yotes,I know a few guys who hunt the eastern part of the state all winter but around here they are few and far between,there are a few trappers employed by some of the big ranches but thats it.

The contest hunts in this area attract plenty of participants. It isn't like the old days. A few years ago you couldn't find a predator call in any of the local sports stores. Now they all seem to have them and they sell a lot!

We would not have anything to hunt if we just shot up everything we saw on the spot. Around here im happy to see yotes running around because the deer population is out of control. Im getting tired of bringing my truck to the body shop every year to have a deer extracted from the grill. As the deer population increases so does the predators so theres plenty of each for the pickens. Kill all the yotes and god knows what would happen to the deer population! We have a season here that starts Oct 1st and runs thru March 26th so we couldn't bang em even if we wanted.

I also have seen a marked increase in hunters turning there attention to Pred's and Varm's. Just in my gun club alone, a few years back there was never any disscussion of it at all. Now there are quite a few members partaking.

I built a deer bumper for my truck, it has been on 5 trucks now and stopped 21 deer from damaging my truck. One did, because the previous one bent it and I didn't fix or replace it before fall. It is funny to see a brown explosion off the bumper, deer are such a pain in the butt I don't slow down for the trash.T.20

Back