When do you stop and let them breed?

Quote:
All I know on the subject is that if the roles were reversed a coyote wouldn't stop and let me breed.

I had a close call yesterday. It's that Blonde in distess call, I just can't resist.

I agree with superc.

In fact, I say hunt them now to not let them breed! Well, that is too extreme really. We did not have coyotes until 20 years ago or so. We had a lot more deer, fox and bobcats back then. But there is no getting rid of them, so we have to learn to live with them.

My posts were deleted because i dont quit shooting yotes during the spring/summer?Why let a thread like this exist if you are going to delete posts that dont agree with your opinions?People around here dont view coyotes as a valuable hunting resouce,they see them as destroyers of wild game,game birds and live stock,its a reality that you may not want to admit but I dont know anyone who stops shooting varmits to let them multiply.

The only thing that stops me is the bugs and fishing if not for that I hunt them all year.
If it legal to do so then more power to a.
I have been fishing and will be till the fall so bust a primer on one or two for me:)

I am of the belief that the more you kill the more you will see in the long run. It’s a coyote’s way of surviving.
Crafty little buggers

They are survivors and in my area you couldnt knock them down without poison and an extreme trapping effort,niether of wich are going to happen any time soon.The majority of the yotes in the area I hunt have bad mange and still I am seeing more dogs than I have in 10 years,it amazes me that they survive the winter in thier condition but they are doing it.

Obviously Nonya and Smoker13 don't read much. I personally know dozens of folks here on PM who don't hunt them through the breeding season. I could take a poll to prove both of you wrong but what's the point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Blanket statements are easy to make. Generally, they cause one to look like a fool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for deleting your post Nonya, the last time you were in my forum you said you didn't want anymore of my rhetoric and I abliged by deleting your posts and therefore relieving you of anymore rhetoric. I have no problem doing that again.

Honestly, Nonya, your posts seem mostly to antagonize. Very seldom does your input add value to a thread. As you know, we get really tired of it. I have no problem with you posting in this forum, but if you just want to stir the pot, the leash will be really short.

Taking a poll on a site dedicated to fanatical coyote hunters and taking a poll among common folk such as the ones I know will yield much different results.Im not trying to instigate anything,Im responding to a question asked by a thread starter and my awnsers dont jive with yours so im obviously wrong.I dont know about the yotes in your area but the ones i have around here dont give calves,fawns and baby game birds a chance to get bigger before they eat them so its only fair.I know I dont have a piece of paper hanging on my wall that says Im smarter than everyone else but I do my best,I shoot yotes to reduce the amount of damage they do on the game,not to prove what an advanced hunter I am,if they didnt eat the things I like to hunt I would never bother shooting them,thier hides arnt worth a damn any more and they dont eat so good,I know you are a biologist and have all the awnsers but I dont agree with your opinion on this matter and if that makes me an antagonist so be it.

Last edited:
Bravo Mike Granger! Well stated,and factual of course, but hey, you have the paper hanging on the wall:)
Funny how so many guys think an opinion, there's in particular, is as valid as any other opinion? An opinion is, or should be, steeped in some kind of experience or knowledge, but far to many are just "swags", random thoughts,or myth and hearsay, formed into an "opinion".
Doesn't mean it's right or correct or factual.....just thats it's the individuals personal opinion. Opinions,can be, and sometimes are, incorrect or wrong. There is a huge divide between an informed opinion,and a wildassed guess.

The title of this thread is "When do you stop and let them breed?". The answers then seem to center around killing the coyotes during spring and early summer. So that the original poster (JimF I think?) does not become entirely confused, I would like to point out that coyotes BREED during late winter. Jan thru febr see's a lot of coyotes out there attempting to breed. Spring is when the pups are born, and is the time which is known by coyote hunters and trappers as "denning" time. If Mom and pop coyote are whacked before these pups are weaned, then the pups will probably die of starvation. Here in Iowa, most of the pups are weaned by first part of June. I don't believe the pups are very well trained in the art of hunting until about august. If you are concerned with survival of the pups, you could wait until about September 1st before you start whacking coyotes.

and how can you be sure you dont kill any pregnant females?To avoid killing pups you can only hunt a couple months a year and they are not the months when thier fur is prime.

Count on Rich to get us back on track:), and of course, he is right as ususal. Most hunters,even if they arent really after hides,but enjoy hunting and shooting coyotes, that look like coyotes and not some kind of hairless dingo, will do so from about late sept,to late jan. Thats five good months of prime coyote hunting season, pretty coyotes,furred well,and trophies to be proud of, whether looking for fur or photos.

There are plenty of studies that show coyotes do effect deer herds and game birds...Montana has an open season on coyotes..I don't have a problem with people who want to wack them year-round.

"and how can you be sure you dont kill any pregnant females?"
--------------
I don't worry about pregnant coyotes myself, but that is up to each individual and his own personal ideal's. Nonya is right though. My coyotes are prime enough to sell come november, but not fully prime. (hide is still blue) If I play my cards right, freeze the november coyote hides and sell them along with December, january and february hides, then I can usually get a fair price all the way through. I don't hunt for fur anymore, but when I did then november thru february gave me the best hides. Now if I was worried about pregnant coyotes, I would have to stop hunting or trapping the buggers during january and february. I get depressed just THINKING about letting all of those january and february coyotes walk away when I have a good bead on em. Enough rambling for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich, good to see you back. I hope all is going well with you and the family.

Nonya, I bet there's more "common" folk on this website than fanatics.

I really don't care when folks kill coyotes. I've killed them in the summer out of a helicopter and I've killed them in prime fur season. As Rich was so good to point out, most folks here probably stop shooting coyotes sometime in the early spring. I believe the founder of this web site was pretty vocal against shooting coyotes during the summer.

Those of us who hunt them for fur like to see as many as possible make it into November. Those that despise coyotes will kill them on site.

Again, this is a website devoted to the pursuit of predators. I dare say, the large majority or our members respect the coyote for the challenges they present. Not many of our members despise them.

Smoker13, the graemlins are used by most of our members after they've typed something. I've noticed most of your posts have no content, just graemlins. I'll give Nonya credit, he and I don't agree on much, but we write our thoughts down so as to carry on a debate. I guess we could have graemlin debate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Smoker13. If you go back and look, I've only locked two threads in this forum during my tenure as moderator. Two in 4 years isn't what I call "so many". Unfortunately, you were involved with one of the threads and Nonya has been involved with both.

Debating is one thing, I can do that all day long. Debates end when one side or the other resort to attacking each others character, profession or flat out calling each other liers, or worse. That's when I step in.

I would be mighty naive to think my opinion is the only one that matters. There's lots of folks on here who have very different opinions on just about everything. Go into the firearms forum and ask someone what the best caliber to shoot a coyote is. You'll get plenty. But, when somone comes on here and makes a statement that is flat out wrong, I'll correct them. PM isn't politically correct. We're big boys here and I'll call a spade a spade. In this day and age, that's a rarity. You'll find all of our moderators like that. I wouldn't want it any other way. Wasn't there an old fable about a king not having any clothes on? That will never happen on PM. We are blessed with plenty of people who will say "hey, he ain't got no clothes on"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I happen to think ol Canis latrans is about the greatest hunting I have ever done outside of bears with hounds. I don't hate them at all but I do hunt them whenever I feel like going out calling, which is often and they are vermin. Here in Nevada if you don't go hunting them when you feel up to it the state will have gotten into the areas you do like and do a pretty good job of reducing the coyote population to just a handful of pretty clever coyotes. And those are the ones I really like to fool with a call. I will on the other hand not shoot a wet female if I identify it as such when it comes in and stops to check me out. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way but it's a rough life out in our brush. And I don't enjoy the idea of knowingly letting a batch of pups starve to death so I do pass up a lot of coyotes that would get the copper and lead pill during any other time..Walt

Back