What's your broadhead of choice?

c-middleton,
I have a few years using montecs now. I bought the new motecs that you can buy replacement blades . They are still fixed blade but.. you can buy extra blades. Anyhow I shot a deer with what I though was a good shoot and it crashed literly down through the path it took . "I mean Crashing"
I think because they are a little smaller cutting dia, I think the Holes clotted up and she stoped losing blood. Therefor I lost the blood and the deer . My freind found it a few days later and it ran about 220 yards. Now if those holes didnt close up and clot I would have the deer because you can tell when a deer is hit Hard! Literly crashing tress over.
Dave-PA

p.s. Even though I cant hardly afford to buy a few packs I will get the Rage 3 blade this year, I have SEEN THE DAMAGE!

Last edited by a moderator:

This is really easy to define by facts: A two blade, solid construction, cut on impact, enhanced by serations.Equates into Magnus Stinger, second Zwickey Black Diamond.

I've taken close to 150 big game animals in four countries, most on film, guided folks like Dr. Warren Strickland, Ted Nugent, Dave Watson, Wayne Carelton, Greg Tinsely, etc.

I've been on the course of needed products pro staff since early 80's when I was a pro shooter w/Hoyt along with the likes of Bill Krenz, Judd Cooney, Tim Strickland, Chuck Adams, etc.

FACTS TO BUY MAGNUS BUZZ CUT BROADHEAD.

Why cut on impact, would you rather someone drop a double edge, razor sharp knife in your open palm from 1 ft. vs. dropping and ice pick. The cut on impact is not only gonna cut you more but deeper

Failure in equipment is moving parts.

I tested most of today's broadheads, and still run into hi rep expandables that will partially or on film once, a major mfgr. the broadhead didn't open, the poor buck stopped right under my stand and you could clearly see the wonder head, stillw/ unblommed.

Magnus give a life time guarantee.

Some states, countries, and certain game in certain areas it is MANDATORY, hunter shoot Magnus style broadhead or they don't hunt. Never saw such a sign asking for replaceable or expandable blade broadheads, never will.

Check history, Fred Bear, Ben Peason, OK so you're gonna try and bust me on them being old before newew broadheads, if so Chuck Adams, Judd Cooney, Ted Nugent, me.

Another plus to buy Magnus and you want the to hit arrows most shots at 20 yards you MUST tune you bow. A horrible bow, is desparate need of tuning will shoot great groups w/expandables.
An untuned bow, looses lots of energy and arrow performance as well is harder on your gear than a tuned bow. You gear should reflect on each other like this, like having safety gauges.

Last one I'll list and the best. Mike Sohm and Magnus have given broadheads to every kid, physically challenged bowhunters, or Purple Hearts, he has also made many other personal contribution to the honor and healing of our vets through the outdoors.

Google my name and Africa of most any game animal and there'll be the broadhead de jour. Qualify the folks you take advise from and good hunting.

Tony Dukes
TEXAS

Forgot the #1 advantage about a Magnus fixed 2 blade (sometimes w/bleeders)it is called SECONDARY CUTTING, a term given to the broadheads performance if the game runs off with the broadhead lodged in it. Due to the fact that a three of 4 blade has as many oposing forced on the lateral sides on the blade and cut, the broadhead is basically frozen in place, a two blade type broadhead, is made to saw away at tissue with every step the game makes and the two blades are un apposed, free to continue to slice, ending up in a much sooner recovery and more importand a recovery where with the mult blade broadhead, with opposing force, may have let the animal to crawl off to be eaten by coyotes, because they didn't loose enough blood.

Penetration Angle: If you hunt enough you'll find an arrow striking say an elk angling down ribs or shoulder, here again two blades go through direction not affected, put a 3 blade broadhead and it will seldom be the same,some time completely deflected off of the animal.

TONY DUKES
TEXAS

i have tried many.

my top picks are as fallows:

1) smoke ramcat : HUGE holes, tons of blood, out penetrates most head i have tried, flys spot on with my field points at 40yds.

magnus buzzuts, g5 striker, ST mags are the others. all fly great, are really sharp, and strong. magnus wins hands down in thw warrente area but im a 1 shot throw away guy and buzzcut holes/ blood trail didnt come close to what the ramcats produced. comparing pin drops to a red carpet. but they did the job fast

Crimson Talon fixed 100gr. Unreal damage, only broadhead that I've ever seen dump that much blood on the ground. My second favorite is the Muzzy 4 blade 90gr.

Rage 2 blade with my compound...Devistating Blood path not trail.I have watched all animals go down before 50 yrds.So if I can have only one single broadhead and one arrow it would be a Beman 400 carbon arrow tipped with a Rage 2 blade Broadhead !!!

100 GRAIN MAGNUS 2 blade and Goldtip arrow 400 with Feather vanes ( carbon as well ) with my 55 pound bear Kodiac Recurve bow...very fast and penetrate very well !!!

Last edited:
Compound bow broadheads...

Stalk or Treestand... Rage 2 blade. I have completely punched through a doe at 50 yards in 6 degree weather. It went through both front shoulders too. Nasty blood trail!

Groundblind mesh windows... G5 Montecs or Magnus Stingers.

Recurve and longbow... you definately want a cut on contact fixed blade. Zwickey, Magnus, etc.

ive been shooting muzzy 100 3blades. i decided to try out some rage's, shot a fox at 20 yards and completely gutted him! now im ready to shoot them again this year!

Just noticed there was a bowhunting thread. G5 125gr Striker. Shot the Muzzy MX3 100gr before that. Only switched because at the time(I noticed they do this year) the MX3 did not come in 125gr. The Striker seems to fly better at long distances and is quieter.

Terminators 250 grain yes 250 grain Fly exactly like a fieldpoint and my mathews is the quietest around with them. What will do more damage a semi hitting a deer or a volkswagan bug.

Rage 2 blade!!!!! Shot an eight point in velvet last year, every step he was gushing! Better blood trail than I've ever had with a rifle, no joke! He painted the trees as he was runnin past em, what few he passes lol, he didn't run very far. Rage is the way to go, not a doubt in my mind!

Back