Upland with a bow? What first bow?

Thanks for the offer I would be very interested!

One thing I notice on you tube is people using different form. Target shooting guys seem to really hold the bow vertical, lock the arms, chest, and shoulder while standing up straight.

Guys who seem to be new to trad archery probably coming from compounds also use similar technique.

The people who really seem to be serious about instinctive shooting and shoot the targets that prove it all hold teh bow at an angle while tilting their upper body forward to match teh angle of the bow. They also stand slightly more square to the target more like a shotgun stance then rifle.

You will find that by canting the bow works the best for hunting situations I believe. It also helps to keep arrow firmly on the shelf

Originally Posted By: Mark2You will find that by canting the bow works the best for hunting situations I believe. It also helps to keep arrow firmly on the shelf

canting the bow seems to be a no brainer to me. My wrist when held naturally will cant the bow. The more natural and comfortable the less you are going to shake and easier to repeat consistently. and like you said keeps arrow in place(same reason i think 1 finger over 2 under will be better). Check out the videos on youtube by greyarcher1, he explains the canting for instinctive shooting.

Last edited:
Tony wrote back and said that as far as the tillering he can set it up so it will work ok both ways since I'm not sure how i will prefer to shoot. I guess he'll just split the difference. I read a lot about it last night and most folks said that unless you are very serious about your bows that most people probably can't tell the difference and by adjusting the knocking point most bows shoot fine both ways. Says he is busy right now with orders so wait time is 6-7 weeks... Tick Tock Tick Tock! Found another local shop that has a 30 lane range and many of the people who work there have won multiple championships etc. I will just take my new bow there and have them hook me up with some arrows and make sure my bow is tuned and shooting properly. Maybe take a lesson too.

Sounds good. 6 to 7 weeks is pretty good turn around. I waited a lot longer for my silver tip,bears paw,and bighorn. Keep your bow within the proper brace height and you should be fine, he bowyer should give you that info. Bow square is another vital tool you will benefit from. Post some pictures when it arrives

Mark2

I have a small drafting square should work perfectly as a bow square.

I also paid 10 bucks to add a fast flight string.

Think I will buy everything else local so I can try the gloves on, make sure arrows are right etc.

I was hoping to have some practice in by july 1st, cottontail opener. Basically around here that weekend is the only chance to whack rabbits sitting in the open with a rifle or bow. After a week the hunting pressure means they are all holding tight the rest of the season its dogs and shotguns to get em up.

we are used to waiting in ca with the 10 day waiting period on guns!

Just got back from the local shop with a big archery range. Much better service then the other local store. Guy that helped me is a level 3 Olympic instructor. He answered all my questions. He even let me shoot his 1,500 dollar recurve and a R/D that was on the rack. My first couple shots where much closer then I thought they would be ! at 30 yards only about 12" off on the first arrow. Then tried another bow and he had me adjust my grip a little, the arrow landed dead center left right it was just a little low! I shot 3 fingers under with a tab. It felt fine. The bows I used where 55 and 60lbs plus my extra long draw. I could do it but it was hard. 45 should be no problem. He also measured me and confirmed again that my draw is 31", he couldn't believe how long my arms are.He said they'll make me arrows and do the spine test for me, a dozen carbon arrows 80 bucks. Really glad that I went with a bow that has the locator/pistol style grip. I held some straight grip long bows and it was no bueno. It was so much fun I can't wait for my bow to arrive!

Will the grip on your riser be checkered. I'm a big fan of checkering. Next step you will be ordering a nice takedown recurve for deer hunting with 2 sets of limbs. It's a sickness really, a really expensive one.
smile.gif

Mark2

checkered like a rifle for a secure grip? DOn't think so.

Oh brother I don't need another expensive addiction! I started off with a 10/22 to shoot soda cans about 8 years ago now 15 guns, a dog, and 20,000 dollars later.... Atleast I can shoot the bow in my back yard range is 3 miles away. Its 40 miles each way for shotgun range and 110 miles each way for the desert. 80 to 300 miles each way for hunting! More money in the gas then the guns!

Hey guys I'm new to the site but I saw your ordering a white wolf. I am in the process of ordering mine a Beowulf recurve 65#@28in in the red moon. My girl has had one of his long bows for years and we love it, so much so I decided to get another.

Originally Posted By: pharettfaceHey guys I'm new to the site but I saw your ordering a white wolf. I am in the process of ordering mine a Beowulf recurve 65#@28in in the red moon. My girl has had one of his long bows for years and we love it, so much so I decided to get another.

That's a lot of bow to pull back and hold. My days of doing that much poundage are gone thanks to my shoulder. Show some pictures if you get a chance.

Mark2

Serious I could barely pull that back a few times.

I'm just curious why so much power needed? I read again and again 40lbs will take any deer. 50lbs will take any elk. In oregon for example the law is 40 for deer and 50 for elk and bear I think.

Main benefit I see is flat trajectory, but I don't know squat.

I knew a guy once who shot a 85 lb recurve. I shot it a couple of times and that was it. I shoot a 52 lb recurve.

I shoot a moosejaw longbow made by Gary Sentman. He held the world record for draw weight. I can't remember for sure what it was but I wanna say 120 something. I don't know if he still holds it or not. I couldnt imagine pulling that much.

I think Paul Schaffer from Schaffer silver tip bows used to pull some serious poundage like that, the guy was strong as an ox.

Mark2

I looked it up, it was 176lbs. He set the record back in 1975 and held it for over 25 yrs. The new record is 200+ and was set the year after I met Gary Sentman and bought my bow.

There are 200# longbows. I was looking at 60-70lbs. Of course a 40 lb can kill a deer, and the same goes for 50 lb and elk. But what happens when the shot is not perfect? You see the buck of a lifetime standing broadside at 20 yards and his head is down, then you draw back, release, and watch the arrow barely penetrate because you just hit the shoulder.....a 60lb'er would blow through it and grab a hold on the vitals.

Just how I look at it. I always try to prepare for the worst, so if it can'tbust the shoulder or ribs, then its a no go.

http://www.cabelas.com/compound-bows-bear-archery-fred-bear-encounter-rth-package.shtml

Maybe I should cancel my longbow and get this bear encounter compound? 399 from cabelas, i have 50 bucks credit, free shipping, and I get 3% back in club points. This one comes ready to shoot. It can do a draw length of up to 32". One benefit is cabelas has plenty of arrows with veins I can buy with club points, very few feathers. I should also have no problem drawing the 50-60lb model and it should be legal for deer to elk in all 50 states. What do you guys think about a compound for small game?

Back