Texas is Losing the War on Feral Hogs

Originally Posted By: Aaron_ProffittAt the same time...

Don't whine and cry about a rancher being over run by pigs, but charging people who are willing to deal with the problem.

I agree.. The solution is to kill them, and people are willing to pay to fix the infestation.. not really seeing a problem.

What blows my mind is how half the country can be swimming in hogs and say they are being over run by free range Bacon, and yet the price of Pork is so high.. one would think that if it wasn't for the Government interference, pork would almost be free.

Maybe instead of handing out Debit cards for food stamps to people, they could pay the ranchers and hunters for turning in Hogs, to feed those that can't seem to feed themselves.

I think every landowner has the right to do what they will with their property.

I also think it is the landowner's job to fix whatever problem they have on their property (not tax money.)

I think I can express the opinion that leasing has drawbacks, and will likely be the end of middle class and lower income families being able to hunt on a regular basis.

'Flave 2016.

Travis

It's like plumbers calling you day and night because you have a dripping faucet in the front yard.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesIt's like plumbers calling you day and night because you have a dripping faucet in the front yard.
smile.gif

But if that analogy were accurate, there wouldn't be any articles about the problem of the dripping faucet.

Travis

Originally Posted By: rio7this whole thread is going around in circles, but im with Ninehorses.rio7

You keep ignoring my invitation.

Rude, bro.

Travis

Boy I've been feeling guilty bout not coming around here much.
After reading this thread, I got over it! So much bs and misinformation and all completely off topic!

Here's the deal hogs are winning the battle because we as hunters are a divided group. deer hunters don't want hog hunters around during the off season. bow hunters don't like, gun hunters. dog men dont like trappers trappers want all the hunters out of an area they are trapping etc. etc.

Here's the deal it takes all of us working together to get it done.

Trappers for the most part only catch young hogs, leaving the mature hogs to reproduce and most trappers stop trapping during the hot months. Or if they are not catching hogs because of abundant food sources.

Most hunters especially in Texas sit and watch feeders and also stop during the hot months. They also mainly kill immature hogs.

Dog guys probably catch and kill more mature boars than anyone else. Trouble is most are extreme conservationists that don't believe in killing as many as they can and they also stop when it gets hot. There are many that train their dogs to only target boars as well.

What it boils down to is that we need each other in the war on hogs and we need to support each other as hunters and respect the land and the owners.

We will have hogs until the end of time. Our job as hunters, trappers, dog men is to do our parts and teach as many as we can to do the same. Or eventually the government will be controlling them for us.

guess nailed it!!! I'm in SW MO and the hogs that are on Fort Leonard Wood and Piney Forest were put there blatantly by "guides" that went to the local sale barn and bought some pigs and let them free...

My uncles farm just north of the AR border is infested with pigs. MDC comes out and sets traps but never has the time to run them.. Piss poor situation that I fear will only worsen...

Regarding allowing hunters to come on your property and harvest game animals, I have a hard enough problem keeping up with "family" that only seems to come poking around and buzzing my phone the week or two days before deer, turkey, etc. season. And then they want to bring a buddy or two I've never met.. Funny that they aren't around when wood needs cut for the fire they expect to keep them warm during deer season or the sweat equity in putting up and maintaining fences, food plots, deer stands and on and on.. Frankly I don't believe those on the side of (non landowners) understand what exactlly goes into making a farm or ranch the place that you are always so eager to hunt on.. Then to have the balls to dictate to me how and when I should allow strangers to hunt??? I went to a work 2 days and hunt one method and I still have people waiting in line .....

Glenn pretty much got it right.

Quote:What blows my mind is how half the country can be swimming in hogs and say they are being over run by free range Bacon, and yet the price of Pork is so high.. one would think that if it wasn't for the Government interference, pork would almost be free.

Not much bacon to be had on a wild hog. Most feral hogs around here barely have enough fat on them to fry themselves in. If you are making sausage, you almost need to go buy "pork trimmings" at the market to add to it.

I make a lot of pan sausage, certain times of the year, but when it is hot, a hog can spoil almost before it hits the ground.

Plus, the average hog killed will dress about 100 pounds. That 100 pounds probably only yields about 30 pounds of boned out meat. It is amazing how much the head and hide of a hog weighs.

Feral hog is good to eat, but isn't near what tame pork is either.

Besides that, I can't tell you how many times I have tried to give a hog away, and nobody wanted it unless it was "cut and wrapped".

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerGlenn pretty much got it right.

Quote:What blows my mind is how half the country can be swimming in hogs and say they are being over run by free range Bacon, and yet the price of Pork is so high.. one would think that if it wasn't for the Government interference, pork would almost be free.

Not much bacon to be had on a wild hog. Most feral hogs around here barely have enough fat on them to fry themselves in. If you are making sausage, you almost need to go buy "pork trimmings" at the market to add to it.

I make a lot of pan sausage, certain times of the year, but when it is hot, a hog can spoil almost before it hits the ground.

Plus, the average hog killed will dress about 100 pounds. That 100 pounds probably only yields about 30 pounds of boned out meat. It is amazing how much the head and hide of a hog weighs.

Feral hog is can be good to eat, but isn't near what tame pork is either.

Besides that, I can't tell you how many times I have tried to give a hog away, and nobody wanted it unless it was "cut and wrapped".

Amen to everything said above. As for the amount meat on a feral hog, generally I just take the hams and leave the rest, just not worth it. Even on a large feral hog, the hams are about half the size of what you find at the grocery store.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerBesides that, I can't tell you how many times I have tried to give a hog away, and nobody wanted it unless it was "cut and wrapped".

Funny that you've noticed that, too.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Edit to correct typo.....Typewriter, typewriter,....typerighter!

Last edited:
I will weigh in my self. I have one land owner that lets me hunt every thing he owns, leases, or rents. I got that in writing. I have access in excess of 20,000 acres. I can not bring friends only immediate family. This means my Brother or Son. Brother has only hunted with me once in the last three years.

This Landowner hired a Helicopter to come out and killed hundreds of pigs. I went hunting that week and killed several myself. He encourages his hands to trap hogs. Hogs are smart and soon traps rarely work. If a trap does work a Hog only lives in the trap for a few hours.

I used to have people ask me for hogs all the time. Problem is I have to drag out the Hog with my horse or get my mule in to carry it out. All this takes time. The time this takes takes away from my hunting time where I could be killing several more hogs. Almost every time I am asked to help clean it.

I document for the Landowner by written accounts and pictures. True Varmint control is expensive. I shoot at least $50.00 a week in Ammo and time is always at a premium. I don't have time to carry out a bunch of pigs and I sure don't have time to clean one for you. If I am to really make a difference for the Landowner and keep my spots, I must make kills and these kills temporarily run the hogs off on other property. I will never kill enough to really control them.

In addition to all the above I must help the Landowner by occasionally fixing fence. Be aware of what is unusual, run trespassers off the property, and help the Hands by not causing problems, which include calls notifying them of the locations of kills. The Hands always investigate when Buzzards start to gather.

My Landowner could care less about the ethics of killing Coyotes during the Summer. If that is the best time to kill them you need to be killing them and any other Dogs on his property.

He allows no Hog dogs or any other dogs on his property. Too many cattle through the fence and calves with torn off ears and tails. I have heard all that business of my dogs won't run cattle before but those catch dogs will get calves. Seen it too many times.

I always love it when he leases out the property to duck hunters and they report dead animals to him and they never knew i was there. Yes he always allows me to hunt regardless of the lease.

Hogs are here to stay but they are really difficult to control by hunting alone and it can not be done by pure recreational hunting.

Originally Posted By: daddyfleaHogs are here to stay but they are really difficult to control by hunting alone and it can not be done by pure recreational hunting.

Sounds like the landowners will have to start paying people to perform ADC.

Travis

Originally Posted By: deflaveOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyJust so we're clear. In your opinion this is typical behavior of texans? Or were you making a funny?

Chupa

It's a joke. I already stated I have family in Texas.

But I will say that I have lived and hunted in the east, mid-west, Texas, and the western states. I have never once met a landowner that had the kinds of complaints listed here regarding hunters. Chitting in a hole on the ground? Cutting down trees? Good God. Who are these people and where are they from?

Travis

I have found that most of these people are from Houston and have money, so they think they can buy their way out of everything.

Back