Texas is Losing the War on Feral Hogs

Originally Posted By: deflaveThere is very little understanding of the concept that you'd let somebody shoot the critters on your property without paying.

Travis

Apparently, there is also very little understanding of the concept that unless you let people hunt without paying, you (the landowner) are PAYING and will continue to pay.

I suppose the ranchers will be wanting government money to pay for hog damage.

I've never been turned down when asking to hunt coyote up here in the north. Anybody who's got cattle sees nothing but trouble with coyotes and the more you shoot, the better.

I mean, if I went up to one cattle rancher and told him that so-and-so on the next spread denied me permission to hunt coyotes, he'd call up that rancher to check and make sure he wasn't having a brain hemorrage or some kind of stroke. Unless you're retarded, those would be the only possible explanations for NOT letting someone hunt an animal that eats your livelihood.

Funny how in Texas they can't quite figure this hog issue out. Hmmmm, I've got all these hogs ripping the [beeep] out of everyting and costing me money every day ... what to do...

Grouse

Yeah. And the thing about leasing is, even if a landowner decides he needs people in there to shoot and trap the pigs out, no leasee is going to play that. Those guys pay HUGE money to have the place to themselves, landowners depend on the income, and the pigs keep chitting out more pigs.

Vicious cycle, and all that.

Burp...

Travis

Originally Posted By: scouteyesMyself and a good friend from church, have been looking too go hog hunting for 2yrs now,an all we get is "yea we have tons of them an they tear up everything. Got to get rid. Of all these.hogs.So w say we come kill all we see an land owner. Says sure 150.00 per day per person or more .an by the way. Cash only" So there. Not there not that big a problem. Then. So where do you go to hunt hogs for the ranchers who want help?

"Church guys" want paid "under the table"?

No tax or tithes, I guess.

Win/win.

I suppose I will chap some asses with this comment but it seems like a landowner bash in here. How many of you guys own significant holdings of private property? None of the ones doing the grumping about being denied I bet. There's two sides to every story and the side you don't see is how many people come wanting permission for this or that. We luckily don't have hogs yet. However we have great white tail deer habitat, great fishing ponds, lots of upland birds, great coyote hunting etc etc. When its hunting season, its a daily occurrence for someone I have never met before to come by wanting permission. Its always the same story about how they spend their days helping little old ladies across the streets and their evenings in church because they are such wonderful people. In the spring its every other day of somebody wanting to know if they can go fishing here, there, and everywhere. Guess what? Most of it is crap. Most people don't give a [beeep] about somebody else's property. If I had a dollar for every beer can and wad of trash I have picked up around the ponds after "responsible" people fished it I'd have a lot of dollars. If I had back all the time I have spent mending fences and gates from those "responsible" hunters that cut them or drove through them, I'd have a nice long vacation.
The fact is, if you are truly one of the people who leaves a place better than you found it, you are in a very small minority. That's why people don't get permission around here. My own caveat to that rule is if somebody wants to take their kid out. I practically bend over backwards for a man who wants to spend time with his son outdoors. The rest of the people normally get told no. And this ground isn't leased.

I don't own any acreage but ya didn't ruffle any feathers here, coyote.

There are, indeed, enough slobs out there to give all of us a bad name. I suspect that there are fewer slobs than "good guys", or at least I would rather think there are, but no matter the number, they do sufficient damage to make an impression on the land owners who were once nice enough to grant permission so that many have decided it's just not worth the hassle.

Things have changed over the 60 years I have hunted, and not for the better.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: coyote_reaperI suppose I will chap some asses with this comment but it seems like a landowner bash in here. How many of you guys own significant holdings of private property? None of the ones doing the grumping about being denied I bet. There's two sides to every story and the side you don't see is how many people come wanting permission for this or that. We luckily don't have hogs yet. However we have great white tail deer habitat, great fishing ponds, lots of upland birds, great coyote hunting etc etc. When its hunting season, its a daily occurrence for someone I have never met before to come by wanting permission. Its always the same story about how they spend their days helping little old ladies across the streets and their evenings in church because they are such wonderful people. In the spring its every other day of somebody wanting to know if they can go fishing here, there, and everywhere. Guess what? Most of it is crap. Most people don't give a [beeep] about somebody else's property. If I had a dollar for every beer can and wad of trash I have picked up around the ponds after "responsible" people fished it I'd have a lot of dollars. If I had back all the time I have spent mending fences and gates from those "responsible" hunters that cut them or drove through them, I'd have a nice long vacation.
The fact is, if you are truly one of the people who leaves a place better than you found it, you are in a very small minority. That's why people don't get permission around here. My own caveat to that rule is if somebody wants to take their kid out. I practically bend over backwards for a man who wants to spend time with his son outdoors. The rest of the people normally get told no. And this ground isn't leased.

I don't own any land to hunt.

Do you live in south Texas?

Travis

I can understand about bad hunters in the past, but do I look like the last Guy that tore your fence down or left your gate open? NO I'm not!! Generalization sucks.I'm sorry theres no respect anymore.I'm just trying to fill my freezer,have fun doing it an help out landowners. An yes I'm a landowner myself, only 23 acres.Not a lot but I bought it with blood sweat an a lot of overtime.

Last edited:
Since we won Junior's insurance case, we're gonna be takin a road trip up your way. We need a good place to throw out a tent for a couple of nights, but if the huntin is good we might stay around two weeks. Wus thinkin you might have a big back yard. Don't worry, we camp a lot, and will just dig a hole for the bathroom. Wouldn't want to trouble you with that. We usually cook on a big fire, so are there any trees you want cut down? Also if you could just show us where there's a faucet we have our own hoses for showers an such. If you want to go along with us hunting, that would be great, as I'm shure you know some good spots.(We can keep a secret!) Junior has a new 4-wheeler, and a AR, is there any place he could go shoot and chase stuff on his own? The insurance money was great. That rancher has lots of money, so he probably didn't miss it much. Junior practiced that bad back walk for three weeks, you know how jurys and kids are. Any way, we'll be there tomorrow morning like two A.M. as it's a long drive, so leave the back porch light on. I shore appereciate all this free stuff good buddy. O yeah, my cousins will be dropping by sometime, there good old boys, so don't worry about all the late night noise. They have some catching up to do, as they just got out of the pen.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesSince we won Junior's insurance case, we're gonna be takin a road trip up your way. We need a good place to throw out a tent for a couple of nights, but if the huntin is good we might stay around two weeks. Wus thinkin you might have a big back yard. Don't worry, we camp a lot, and will just dig a hole for the bathroom. Wouldn't want to trouble you with that. We usually cook on a big fire, so are there any trees you want cut down? Also if you could just show us where there's a faucet we have our own hoses for showers an such. If you want to go along with us hunting, that would be great, as I'm shure you know some good spots.(We can keep a secret!) Junior has a new 4-wheeler, and a AR, is there any place he could go shoot and chase stuff on his own? The insurance money was great. That rancher has lots of money, so he probably didn't miss it much. Junior practiced that bad back walk for three weeks, you know how jurys and kids are. Any way, we'll be there tomorrow morning like two A.M. as it's a long drive, so leave the back porch light on. I shore appereciate all this free stuff good buddy. O yeah, my cousins will be dropping by sometime, there good old boys, so don't worry about all the late night noise. They have some catching up to do, as they just got out of the pen.

We already know how Texans behave. We were discussing leases, and how they have impacted the pig population in that state.

Travis

You are mistaken.

We are discussing pig populations in Texas and how the restrictions of hunting leases may impact those populations.

Travis

No, that was four pages back, now it's bash the evil rancher. He charges less for a day of hog hunting, than you pay per month for your fancy phone, or what you spend taking out the wife for dinner and a movie.

Originally Posted By: deflaveOriginally Posted By: ninehorsesSince we won Junior's insurance case, we're gonna be takin a road trip up your way. We need a good place to throw out a tent for a couple of nights, but if the huntin is good we might stay around two weeks. Wus thinkin you might have a big back yard. Don't worry, we camp a lot, and will just dig a hole for the bathroom. Wouldn't want to trouble you with that. We usually cook on a big fire, so are there any trees you want cut down? Also if you could just show us where there's a faucet we have our own hoses for showers an such. If you want to go along with us hunting, that would be great, as I'm shure you know some good spots.(We can keep a secret!) Junior has a new 4-wheeler, and a AR, is there any place he could go shoot and chase stuff on his own? The insurance money was great. That rancher has lots of money, so he probably didn't miss it much. Junior practiced that bad back walk for three weeks, you know how jurys and kids are. Any way, we'll be there tomorrow morning like two A.M. as it's a long drive, so leave the back porch light on. I shore appereciate all this free stuff good buddy. O yeah, my cousins will be dropping by sometime, there good old boys, so don't worry about all the late night noise. They have some catching up to do, as they just got out of the pen.

We already know how Texans behave. We were discussing leases, and how they have impacted the pig population in that state.

Travis

Just so we're clear. In your opinion this is typical behavior of texans? Or were you making a funny?

Chupa

In a sarcastic way, ninehorses does bring up a quite valid point. Liability for landowners is tremendous especially when they are charging someone to hunt. There have been some neighbors of mine get sued by people they let hunt for free. One idiot busted his ankle getting out of a tree stand. He filed a lawsuit for pain and suffering as well as lost wages from work. He won. Cost my neighbor five figures because he was nice and let that guy hunt.
Scouteyes, look at it this way: if a different person whom you don't know came by your home and wanted to watch football every time there was a game on what would you say? Then let's say you - for whatever reason - allow them into your home. Almost every time the person leaves he has raided your fridge, drank your beer, thrown the cans on your living room floor, punched a hole in the wall when his team lost, and then just walked out and left.
How many times would you keep saying "sure come on in!" when the doorbell rang at kickoff time? Generalizations do suck. The problem is they all have their roots somewhere in truth.

I hosted a cookout out in the pasture. A high school kid tripped and hurt his knee. His health insurance filed on my liability insurance. They paid for a MRI, x-rays, and an emergency room visit. About $3,000.

lets talk about time, as a long time ranch owner in s.tex. at one time or other we have had some intresting times with hunters, you have all heard about gates, fences, trash, shot up property,lets talk about the time it takes to talk to these wanta be hunters, about the time it takes to tell them where to hunt , the time it takes to pull them out when they get stuck,the time it takes to find the ones that get lost, and dont know how to get back to headquaters,the time it takes to take them gas when they runout,and give them gas to get back to town,lets talk about the time it takes when they call all excited and tell you i just shot the biggest boar in the world!!! but cant find him, will you bring a couple of your ranch hands and help me out? or i killed this big pig and cant load him up by my self will you come help me out. and where do i gut him out ? what do i do with the guts? do you have any ice? its a long way to town.my time list could go on and on, after all a rancher doesnt have anything to do, but sit on the couch and watch ophra and drink sweet tea. OH! and its all supposed to be free out of the goodness of my heart. B.S.rio7

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesNo, that was four pages back, now it's bash the evil rancher. He charges less for a day of hog hunting, than you pay per month for your fancy phone, or what you spend taking out the wife for dinner and a movie.

The only thing I said about ranchers in Texas, was that some of them were good friends and close neighbors of mine when I lived there.

And you have me mistaken with somebody else. I don't have a wife, and if I did, I sure as [beeep] wouldn't be taking her out for dinner. That's what girlfriends are for.

Travis

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesI know of very few ranchers that have year around leases around here.

Ok. So your stance is leasing has not helped increase the numbers of hogs in the State of Texas?

Noted.

Travis

Back