Seventeen Coyotes Make for a Great Beginning! Christmas Edition

A fine read. Hope you get out again soon and get us some pics of the dogs working with you. Thanks for sharing the hunt.

Good stuff Mike... I was heading up that way this year on my van trip... but was spooked about your weather... but I can see it was rather nice up there this year... maybe next year I'll be up there... thanks for the updates... it sure gives me a good look at the terrain.

How many more would you have killed it you had the swift going strong.

Dan, unless you have a four wheel drive I would not recommend making a trip to the boonies of Montana. We get blizzards on a regular basis and most of our terrain will prevent you from getting to what looks like "flat" country in my photos.

As for how many more I would have killed with the Swift, good question as I would for sure have been slinging lead at the 350+ plus yard dogs. I've killed them close to 500 yards with my Ruger #1 Swift so I know it can do it.

Mike--Thanks for taking the time to put your story in this thread and thanks too for all the great photos. I hope you post many more stories about additional hunts this winter.

Silverfox and everyone else. Thanks so much for all the accolades about this story. I do appreciate it as the time to put these together is significant. Especially this one. Heck, as some have alluded, I could've written a book!

I discovered the last couple of years a secret. The more effort one puts into their stories, the more enjoyment one receives by reliving the hunt. I take lots of pictures because my memory is triggered by sights, sounds and things. I remember the details of each hunt by the pictures. Sometimes I forget the gaps between kills but by looking at the photos, they all come flooding back. You can bet I'll be writing more stories as I get as much pleasure out of them as each of you.

Keep reading and posting your comments. The whole premises behind Predator Masters is to provide a welcome place for us predator hunters, where we can all share our stories and maybe learn a trick or two. Even us old dogs!
shocked.gif

Great write up and picks.I love those pale colored coyotes. Did you use a hand call or e call?whats your go to load for the SWIFT?What Camo do you wear in the open country?I bet an APC kill suit would work great up there.

I have bird hunted eastern Montana very big interesting country. I need to go call it some day.

Thanks again for the great story.
Gabe

Gabe,

I use open reed hand calls. Two of my go to calls are the critr call and a Tony Tebbe call Tony sent me a couple of years ago. I've called in a boat load of coyotes with both.

I wear King Winter Camo and shoot 52 match hollow point Sierra's out of the Swift at 3700 fps.

Wowww, Mike,
Your Montana coyote calling stories just keep getting better!! I've followed your adventures for several years now, and I have to admit that I do my coyote calling vicariously through you and Silverfox. I haven't posted here in quite a while, but I haven't missed any of your exploits either. Thank you for making these humid 70 degree December days here in Louisiana a little more bearable. And another thank you for the hours of effort you put into writing and illustrating these postings for the rest of us members.
John

Back