Seventeen Coyotes Make for a Great Beginning! Christmas Edition

Quote:We have State lands every 6th and 36th section in Montana so I pull out my map and look for a state section that has public road access.

Mike, how much federal land is in between? Are you also hunting private, or do they lease public land to plant wheat?

With all those 400 yard coyotes, you might need to sight the swift back in, or did you already?

The West is a wonderful place in that we have a lot of public lands. With the purchase of a Montana Conservation License one gets the permit to hunt on any state land that has public access. You can hunt on other state land that is surrounded by private property but you have to have permission to cross private property first. I have a GPS in my truck with a Montana Land Ownership chip that color codes all public lands. I watch it religiously while driving down the road and can instantly tell when I'm on public lands. Of course I stop and knock on a lot of doors too. Almost every rancher will let you hunt coyotes although I had one tell me no on this trip, only because his boys are coyote hunters.

I have noticed though, with the recent popularity of electronic callers, coyotes on public lands are becoming very call shy. Seems everyone buys a caller and become instant coyote educators.

Day 4 was just as nice as the previous days with the addition of heavy frost and the sun was shining. Now the coyotes would really shine. They did, but I didn’t.

Finally, a nice sunny day!

Stand two had one sneak in behind me but I wasn’t set up to be able to shoot down wind. He got away! Stand 3 had a pair come in but instead of me taking a standing shot at 200 yards, waited for them to get closer. Both got downwind without me ever being able to take a shot and they got away! Holy Smokes, I was beginning to think I sucked at this coyote hunting thing!

It wasn’t until noon that things finally turned around. I was calling from a great spot and could see for miles. Nothing had responded to the calls and at minute 15 was just about to get up and walk back to the truck. One more look with the binocs revealed a single coyote over ½ mile away and it looked to be coming my way. I’m a very patient soul when I can see a coyote coming so I waited and waited. While waiting, another coyote appeared a couple of minutes behind the first. Eventually the first coyote was somewhere below me and out of sight. I just knew any second it was going to come over the hill and be mine. It wasn’t meant to be as I never saw the coyote again. I switched my attention to the straggler and lip squeaked it in closer. She was extremely leery and wasn’t buying whatever I was selling. Fortunately, as she circled to the downwind side I was able to get her to stop and my only coyote of the day was down. I only saw/called one more coyote after that and it circled at over 400 yards. The wind was now blowing and they have a habit of circling wider and wider as the wind blows harder and harder. You may have noticed by now I don’t take a picture of every dead coyote. I figure most of you get tired of such, but I did get a cool moonshot.

On day five an ungodly noise woke me up at 0500. It was my alarm! I had to get up earlier than normal, make breakfast and move the trailer. All went well and 40 miles later I was hunting in new country. Have I mentioned how much I love hunting out of my trailer?

I camped a couple of miles from a ranch I had permission to hunt. Daylight found me within 400 yards of the ranch house calling over another wheat field. I hadn’t blow the call twice when the yards dogs began barking. They were making quiet a commotion; luckily the landowner was awake and knew I was there. On the third series of calls a coyote comes running over the hill and stops 50 yards away. I absolutely love killing a coyote on the very first stand of the day. Takes the edge off for the rest of the day! Here’s where I give credit where credit is due. A few years back I would never have called this close to a house as everyone knows coyotes are very wary of people. They are also extremely smart and know where the food can be found. While hunting in Alberta with my buddy Redfrog one year, we stopped at a house and called from the back yard and killed a coyote. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing but sure enough it happened, not only once but several times during that trip. It made a believer out of me and I have since killed many coyotes close to ranch houses.

First Light Coyote

I drove right by the barking dogs to my next stand. It was a blank but the very next stand a big male comes running through a wheat field, turns broadside at 200 yards and dies.

Fair warning, heart shots are bloody.

Both of these coyotes were killed within ½ mile of the ranch house.

Remember earlier in the story I said we were going to laugh and cry together? It’s time to grab some Kleenex.

I’m on top of the world, it’s early in the morning, two coyotes are already down, and they’re coming like gang busters!

The next few pictures say it all:

I spot a coyote looking at me on a far hillside. Notice the specks in the sky, those are snow buntings.

It takes a long hard look and decides a free meal is what the doctor ordered.

And kicks it into overdrive.

I put the camera down, grab the rifle and got ready. The wait was not long. This baby was on warp speed and no matter how much howling I did, wouldn’t stop. Matter of fact, it sped up after each howl. Sad to say, 7 shots later and my confidence in hitting running coyotes was severely damaged!

You will not see another “alive” picture of coyotes for the rest of this story. I learned my lesson at this point and only picked up the camera after they were dead!

Two stands later and I had another coyote looking at me from ½ mile or further. I was calling in a deep drainage that had several feeder draws connected to it. Eventually the coyote disappeared and I just kept on calling. I was about to get up and leave when I heard something flush sharp tailed grouse down below me. Hmmmm? What could that be? I was lying prone on the hillside and knew I would be hard to see, so waited patiently to see if anything appeared. Within 30 seconds of the first flush, another group of grouse flushed. This time I was looking in the right direction and could barely make out a coyote sitting on it’s haunches, right next to the brush. She was looking left and right, trying to find where the rabbit was dying and never knew I was in the world.

Here’s a picture of my grouse coyote. Can you see her next to the brush? I didn’t until the grouse warned me she was there!

Moonrise on day five, what a sight to behold; I am truly blessed!

Last edited:
Mike-- I have certainly enjoyed your great hunt so far. Your photos and narrative are tremendous!!!

I had to look a long time to find your "Grouse Coyote." I was looking too close to the brush, but finally looked to the left of the brush a bit and found it.

Thanks for the interesting thread.

Day 6 found me calling by another ranch house, listening to another set of dogs. But this time no coyote came running over the hill to stop at 50 yards. Nope, this one was somewhere in the brush barking like a mad dog. I never saw the coyote as the light was low and it was in the brush, but it sure saw me. In all my years of coyote hunting, I’ve only killed two barking coyotes, and it wasn’t by calling. I was able to sneak up on them, out of sight. There was no sneaking up on this coyote so I got up and went to the next spot.

Here are my buddies on stand #2.

Magpies are always good to have around while calling but they weren’t able to lure any coyotes in at this stand.

I’m calling adjacent to another wheat field on the next stand. The light is low and coyotes are almost invisible, even when moving. I was just about to give up when I spotted one with the binoculars, slowly sneaking in. Typical female behavior so I squeaked one more time just so she could lock in on me, then went into silent mode. She took her sweet little time and several minutes later was standing on a small knoll 102 yards away.

This picture was taken where she dropped.

The skinning post is only a few yards away and as I’m dragging the hide back to the truck I hear a howl. It should be noted the coyotes were not responding to howling, to the point that I had quit howling at each stand. I put the hide in a bag, sprinkle flea powder on it and walk to the hill right above the truck. As I’m walking up I hear another howl. Once on top I let loose with two long, lonesome howls. Sure enough I get a response. Another howl for good measure then I go silent and so does the coyote. The problem is I can’t see because of a hill between the coyote and me. I’m sure many of you have been in the same situation; do you make a mad dash to the other hill (200 yards away), or be patient and hope for the best? Fortunately for me, I was patient and kept glassing the other hill. Eventually a coyote comes walking over and looks my way. I don’t make a peep and just watch as it walks along a fence line. It’s coming my way but gets distracted by a mouse. I’m watching as she hops around trying to get the mouse but appears to be unsuccessful. I’ve seen enough and drop her while she’s got her nose to the ground.

All that was used to call this coyote was my trusty Cronk Howler.

I’m stoked, it’s still early in the day and two coyote hides are in the truck. Bring it on baby!!

I pass a cool looking cabin on the way to the next stand.

And while calling, this guy goes slipping out the back door. Sorry for the poor photo but it was a one shot deal.

Then I get up on a hill and see this. How many names/initials can you pick out?

It’s now 2pm and the wind is rather brisk (15-20 mph). I find another good hill to call from and am calling directly into the wind. I blow the critr call for all it’s worth and two series in see a coyote coming from ½ mile or better. I’m always amazed at their ability to hear. This is probably why calling isn’t as good on those dead calm days. They can easily hear the pickup coming! Anyway, the coyote is charging in, the wind is in my face and I’m lying prone getting ready for the kill. It’s coming straight in and at 50 yards I howl and lift my foot into the air. I kid you not, the coyote never broke stride and literally spun on a dime, heading back from where it just came! I couldn’t believe it. They always stop for a split second and I was ready. Sometimes coyote don’t play by the rulebook; after all, they are coyotes! It’s running straight away and in spite of my 7 misses of the day before, I fling a round it’s way. Whack, down goes the coyote. Gee, maybe I can hit a running coyote. I pat myself on the back and start calling again. Nothing comes but I do see a coyote sky lined on a ridge in the direction my dead coyote had come.

I walk down to pick up the coyote and there’s none to be found! What, I know I hit that coyote!! I searched and searched and could not find hide nor hair of a dead coyote. The snow was very spotty so tracking was out of the picture. I couldn’t believe it and searched and searched. Nothing. I even walked all the way over to the ridge I saw the coyote sky lined, just to see if I could find blood but to no avail.

This is the difference between hunting with and without dogs. Bubba or Dash would have been on the coyote in a flash and even if it was ambulatory, they would have bayed him until I got there. Or, if the coyote ran a ways and died, they would have found it. I gave myself another tongue lashing for leaving them at home.

What lessons did I re-learn today: 1)Bring the dogs, they can be a pain sometimes but wounded coyotes don't get away when they are on guard! 2)Mule deer bucks like sneaking out the back door too!

Day 7 was tough. The first stand was a CRP field I had called coyotes in before but this time no CRP; it was now a big wheat field. I called anyway but nothing came. The next stand was a pretty good hike to a pond dam in the middle of a block of native prairie. As soon as I blew the call a coyote stands up. It was 375 yards away and kept looking at me and back to it’s right. I knew there was a coyote in there somewhere but I couldn’t find it. I was in a bad spot for shooting prone because of the tall sagebrush on the pond dam and I’m even worse shooting off of sticks than I am shooting running coyotes, so that was out. I kept trying to coax the coyote in but to no avail. It spins to go away and that’s when I see the other coyote. Now they are both leaving. I looked to my right and see another coyote that had come in from behind, caught my scent and was now running away. Geez, three coyotes and I blew it on all of them.

I didn’t see another coyote until the last stand of the day, but did get more cool pictures. I like taking pictures of old homesteads. Compared to today’s standards, these wouldn’t qualify for a single person residence; no telling how many families was raised in them. I promise you though; life was a lot tougher then.

The doorframe will give you and indicator of size on the house below!

The pile of wire is as big as the home!

I’ve called 13 stands in fantastic coyote country and only saw coyotes on the first stand. I was bound and determined to kill a coyote on this day. The last stand found me close to another ranch house. I knew the rancher had a dead cow pile somewhere close to my location but did not know if anything had died recently. I decided to start off with a series of long lonesome howls then waited a couple of minutes before starting in with the rabbit call. Fifteen minutes into my sequence and nothing had arrived. Ever have a feeling something was coming? I did on this stand so I continued lying prone in the snow. At minute 18 one large male skylines itself at 230 yards; I don’t even think twice and immediately settle the crosshairs on his chest and squeeze. I hear the whack and the coyote is out of sight. Off I go to pick up the one and only coyote of the day and can’t find him! I’ve said it before, but the .204 does not kill coyotes like the Swift. Very seldom do I get a runner with the Swift. It’s like the Hammer of Thor! On the other hand, seldom will the .204 blow large holes in the hide. Everything is a compromise.

I look and look and cannot find the coyote. Of course I’m promising myself to never ever come coyote hunting without the dogs about now too! I make larger and larger circles from where I last saw him and eventually stumble across a dead coyote perfectly camouflaged in the grass. I was ecstatic! It was a really large male with worn down teeth. An old dog, kind of like me! :)

Day 8 was another tough one. I see a badger on the way to the first stand but he won’t pose for a good photo. It’s a beautiful morning, lots of frost on the pumpkin and I’m in the middle of nowhere. What could be better?

I call several stands but the only activity was a mangy coyote getting in behind me before I can see him. Around noon I finally get a coyote to come in to my calling and he stops at 75 yards. That was that. No more coyotes were seen or called for the rest of the day.

As you can see in the picture with my pickup, it was what I consider a perfect calling day. Cold, frosty, not much wind and wide open country. And of course, the coyotes don’t come. Go figure!

The forecast for the next two days wasn’t so good: windy and warm. I called the lovely wife and told her I would only hunt ½ day on Saturday and then head home. The country up here has a lot of gumbo clay. The last thing you want is driving around in it during a good thaw.

Day 9 began as all the others, cold and calm. My goal for this excursion was to go home with 20 coyotes and I was 5 short. I show up at my ranching buddies house and drive by when there is barely enough light to see. Of course the lights are on as he’ll be feeding cows shortly. My first stand is literally a rifle shot from his house. I’ve called this spot before and know the coyotes use the drainage below his house as their highway to and from their daytime bedding areas. I’ve hidden the truck and crawl up on a small knoll overlooking the bottom. It’s not very light but should be enough so to see any coyotes coming. I make one squawk and immediately see two coyote in the drainage, about 300 yards away. The male dog has me pegged and I don’t move a whisker (I haven’t shaved in 13 days by this time). We stare at each other for a couple of minutes and then he comes my way. I get in the prone position and wait to see what’s going to happen. I’m on the edge of a wheat field and the vegetation is taller to my right and very short to my left. I expect him to come out in the wheat field so I scoot into the field past the taller grass. Guess what? He didn’t read the rulebook and drops down below the field and pops out 25 yards from me. Problem is I can’t see him through the grass on the edge of the field so have to pick the gun up and move it 2 feet. Of course he sees this and takes a couple leaps back to where he came. Fortunately he stops for a split second and I have another first stand coyote. His partner took off.

Here’s a picture looking down the drainage.

And here’s the same picture but looking into the wheat field.

I didn’t skin the coyote and threw him into the truck and take off to the next stand but before I get there, one of my favorite radio shows came on the radio. How many of you listen to “Life at The Pond”? For those of you who don’t, here’s what I pulled off their website “Each episode applies solid, biblically-based truths to life lessons that build character in your kids and provide more than a splash of humor along the way from a crew building lifelong friendships at The Pond.”

I’ve been listening to the show for many years. Matter of fact, my son and I would listen to it each Saturday morning on our way to the snowboarding slopes when he was still at home. He’s 24 now! My how time flies. Anyway, I was taking a break and listening to the show with good memories of past adventures with my boy flooding my thoughts. Sitting there, I looked to my left and much to my surprise was a coyote mouseing with the pickup in plain sight. Ok, enough of memories. I put the truck in neutral and slowly roll back down the hill. Once out of sight, I jump out, grab the gun and calls and crawl up on the hill I was now hiding behind. The coyote was still there but would not come any closer. I kept calling though and sure enough; another coyote comes up drainage and provides me with an easy frontal shot. As you can see by the picture below, I drug the coyote to where my pickup was sitting and the pickup shows evidence of a quick and quiet exit! Now, every time I hear Life at the Pond, I will think of this scenario.

I had one more opportunity at a coyote that came in down wind and was within a second of pulling the trigger when it stopped at 335 yards, but it caught my scent and was gone.

On the way out my ranching buddy was back at the house so I stopped and showed him a pickup full of coyote skins and told him 6 were killed within ½ mile of his house. He was extremely appreciative and asked me to come back anytime. You can bet I will.

That’s it, 17 coyotes over 13 days of hunting. To say I am blessed is a huge understatement. I have a wonderful wife who doesn’t mind me being gone as long as I call her every night to confirm I’m alive. A great, reliable truck that rolled 180,000 miles on this trip, and millions of acres to hunt. Montana is truly a fantastic state that believes in providing hunting opportunities to those who like to pursue game. We have lots of public land, both state and federal, more and more Block Management each year, and landowners who are receptive to hunting, especially coyote hunting! One day I’ll get to heaven, but until then, this will do!

Last edited:
Back