Seventeen Coyotes Make for a Great Beginning! Christmas Edition

I have a lot of respect for a man that will put up his American flag on his trailer even out in the middle of no where. You sir are a true American.

Great post and pictures can't wait to see more.

I allways look foward to your posts Mike. I really enjoy following along.
I dident start calling until the tuesday before thanksgiving and killed one on the very first stand...a good omen for the season im hopeing. I have hunted 4
half days so far and have 6 on strechers. Pretty good start!
Looking foward to the rest of the story and all the pics that go with it.

Good luck to you and everyone else for the season!!

This is what happens to a new grain tank when the fan is sucking out and there is no intake vent installed. This is in the process of removing layers to get it back down low enough to replace the top section.

Dscf0014.jpg

Originally Posted By: jarheadhunterI have a lot of respect for a man that will put up his American flag on his trailer even out in the middle of no where. You sir are a true American.

AMEN !!!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyOriginally Posted By: jarheadhunterI have a lot of respect for a man that will put up his American flag on his trailer even out in the middle of no where. You sir are a true American.

AMEN !!!
thumbup.gif

+1

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the positive comments. I always fly the flag on my camper unless the wind is ripping. If any of you happen to see the camper while you're hunting, come back at dark and we'll brew up a strong cup of coffee and tell a few stories.

I was wondering about how the grain bins got that way because the wind never blows here in Montana!
lol.gif

Lewistown, Lewistown Municipal Airport, MT (KLWT)
Elev: 4167 ft; Latitude: 47.04917; Longitude: -109.46639
Wind Direction Speed/Gusts
05 Dec 2:54 pm MST WNW 26G43
05 Dec 1:54 pm MST WNW 30G43
05 Dec 12:54 pm MST WNW 15G21
05 Dec 12:39 pm MST WNW 16G28
05 Dec 11:54 am MST WSW 25G38
05 Dec 10:54 am MST WSW 26G36
05 Dec 9:54 am MST WSW 12G21
05 Dec 8:54 am MST SW 22G29
05 Dec 7:54 am MST SW 18G28
05 Dec 6:54 am MST SW 18G28
05 Dec 5:54 am MST SW 23G30
05 Dec 4:54 am MST SW 26G33
05 Dec 3:54 am MST SSW 18G28

Thanksgiving was nice and quiet for me and my lovely bride of 30 years. All of our kids and grandkids live in other states or countries. We thanked the Lord for our many blessings, ate a small meal and then I loaded up and headed back to the camper. But, this time I didn’t bring any dogs. I’d noticed the coyotes were real leery of Bubba and none would come any closer than 2-300 yards. Figured this was as good as a time as any to take a hunting trip without the dogs. Boy did they ever bawl when I left though. My wife called when I hadn’t gone 15 miles from the house saying the dogs just wouldn’t shut up and she was going to let them out of the kennel. That was code for “the dogs are coming in the house”. I never let them in but she’s a softy and will “accidently” let them push there way in when she opens the back door! Funny thing is, they never even try when I’m home! Go figure….

Anyway, I get back to the trailer a few hours later and the lock on the door is frozen. No matter what I tried, I couldn’t get the key into the lock. After several minutes of doing the Jimmy Neutron thing “think, think”, I remembered having a Jet Boil under the back seat. In no time it was fired up and the lock was thawed. I’m a coffee fiend and regularly brew up a cup of coffee with the Jet Boil. Now I know it has more than one use.

The next morning was cold, overcast and a slight SE breeze. Unfortunately I was hunting towards the West. The very first stand has me calling from a nice looking hill and scanning the horizons with binoculars. A lesson I learned a long time ago is to regularly lift up your binoculars and take a quick scan close in. I did so and much to my surprise, a coyote had walked right across an open flat and was real close to catching my downwind scent. Unfortunately, I could not get this coyote to stop. He kept trotting, caught my scent, spun on a dime and took off. I suck at hitting moving coyotes and didn’t even try a shot. I would rather call them in another day than shoot at a running coyote. Now if I was a better shot that might be a different story. Of course I was upset and gave myself a thorough chewing walking back to the truck. Maybe I can get a few helpful tips on hitting a trotting/running coyote during the course of this thread.

I moved up the road another mile and commence to call into native prairie. In no time a coyote comes in slowly then stops at 250 yards. I try coaxing it in but to no avail. She lay down and just watched me. We play the quiet game for 5 minutes and I finally get impatient and decide to shoot her where she lay (this behavior is very typical of solitary female coyotes). I squeeze off the round, expecting to have the first kill of the day in the bag. Sadly, she jumps up and ran off.

I think I should mention at this point that while setting up for the stand, I accidently knocked the Swift over and it hit directly on the scope, hard! As always is my custom when I miss a coyote, out comes the target and I sight the gun in. The first shot kicks up snow 2 feet to the left. I immediately put the Swift in the truck and pulled out the Dtech AR-15 .204. One shot told me it was dead on and I’m back in the game. My rational for such a quick switch in guns was that two coyotes had come in on two successive stands. I wasn’t going to waste time sighting in a rifle when obviously this was going to be a good calling day!

My next stand has wheat stubble to my right and native prairie to the left. After 10 minutes of calling I spot this:

The photo is deceiving, I have a 300mm lens on the Nikon camera and the coyote is almost 400 yards away. I would have taken this shot with the Swift but have yet to hit a coyote at this distance with the .204. It comes no closer and that was that. About now I’m reevaluating leaving the dogs at home!

That’s 0 for 3 if anyone is counting. Also notice in the above picture that the light is flat. The coyotes were almost invisible. So much so that on the very next stand one almost runs over me before I even see it. Fortunately for me, it spun at ten feet and ran directly away. Even I can hit a coyote running directly away at 30 yards. Finally, after four coyotes coming to the calls, I get the first one of the day. There’s a dead coyote in the picture below, see how hard they were to see!

Remember the snow buntings? Here’s a flock I called in. For some reason they really liked coming to the dying rabbit call.

Right after I took the picture a coyote comes running over this very hill and I get it to stop at 100 yards. Sweet, I’m on a roll now, two dead coyotes and a coyote has come in on each stand of the day. Some days it’s like the switch has been turned on and you can do no wrong, all one has to do is hit them!! I don’t waste time on days like this. I skinned the coyote quickly and was off to the next stand. It’s past noon now and last shooting light is around 4:30. I make a couple of more stands without any luck then on the next to last stand of the day get another hard charger out of another wheat field. I see this one coming though and am able to get him to stop at 30 yards and coyote #3 for the day is in the bag. Sorry, but no pictures of the last two dogs, you’ll have to take my word for it.

All in all, a really good day of calling in spite of my inabilities. Here’s my view at sunset.

What lessons did I re-learn today? 1)Coyotes will circle downwind 98% of the time. Always setup so you can shoot downwind. 2)Coyotes can see you rather easily when walking up on one of these hills. Knee pads are a rather valuable commodity when one crawls over rocks and cactus. 3)Coyotes are difficult to call in, why waste an opportunity if you think you’ve knocked your sights out of zero.
cry.gif

Last edited:
Lonnie, the gun is extremely accurate, it's a Dtech! But the .204 runs out of a lot of steam and wind drift is it's nemesis. I've switched to 40 grain Berger HP's hoping to negate some of the negatives. I just need to spend more time shooting 300-400 yards to build my confidence. I was hoping to do that this summer but the fire season had other plans. I didn't even get out to shoot prairie dogs!

Mike I watched as my partner shot a broadside coyote right behind he shoulder with is .204 at just a whisker over 400 yards. The results were not impressive. The coyote bucked and ran off. We could tell he was hurting though. It took us over a half hour to reach him because we had to find a place to cross a creek that was between us and the coyote. From were he was first hit he traveled about another 100 yards and was all curled up under a sage brush bush and still very much alive. My pard put a finishing shot in him. We went up and inspected the first shot. The placement was perfect and there was no exit. I just think that little .204 pill range out of steam. Granted a one time event does not make it an every time event, but just to be on the safe side I'll stick with my 22-250 and .243 for those 400 yard shots.

Mike, good to see you back. I can't wait to read some more stories. Please take the dogs, no guy deserves being left behind with the woman....lol.

Keep coming back to this thread, I change the Vol after each addition of the main story. Before it's all over there will be 17 dead coyotes on stretchers.
smile.gif

Mike I figured with this lack of snow you would be stacking, we have just a skiff and the coyotes have been catching [beeep], great to see you back. Havent posted much lately either. I think im feeling a little inspiration now however haha. 100 coyotes in a month
laugh.gif

The following morning is just like the previous, slight SE wind, overcast and temps in the 20’s. I drive to where I made the last stand the evening before and begin the process all over again. No luck on the first two stands but on #3 this guy comes up and stands on the hill at 262 yards.

I shoot him where he stands then take a photo.

Two stands later I’m sitting on this hill calling when a coyote comes running up the bottom and directly at me.

I’ve got the scope turned down to 6x but this thing is coming so fast I barely have time to lift the gun and try to find it in the scope. I can’t, drop the gun down to my hip and shoot when he’s 3 yards away! Of course I miss and the coyote runs down the hill. I plop back down on the ground and this time get lucky and hit running coyote #2 of the hunt. I’m feeling rather smug about now!

My next 3 stands are unsuccessful and it’s time to move to a different spot. We have State lands every 6th and 36th section in Montana so I pull out my map and look for a state section that has public road access. A suitable section is quickly found and I’m off with the hopes of getting there before last light. I do and walk almost ½ mile to a good vantage spot. The light is fading fast so I get right after it. It’s still overcast and visibility is horrible. Sure enough it happens again. A coyote runs right up on me before I ever see it. She spins when I move to grab the gun and I get off another lucky running shot! Let me tell you, after hitting 3 running coyotes over the last two days I was convinced I had found the magic formula. Keep reading and we’ll share a few laughs/tears together!

Another 3 coyote day, two of which were hit on the run. I was pumped!

Day three’s weather was just like the previous two but with a little fog added in for good measure. On the very first stand I get these series of pictures:

I was having so much fun taking pictures that when I put the camera down and got the rifle ready the coyote was less than 100 yards away. As my luck would have it, he had seen enough and before I could pull the trigger, the first coyote of the day decided to leave and not stop for another look until he was well past 500 yards. Grrrrr.

You guessed it, another tongue lashing from me to me on the way back to the truck. I moved two miles away and made another stand. A wheat field was at my back and I was looking into native prairie. Three minutes into the calling I look behind me to see a coyote’s head peering over the top of a small knoll in the wheat stubble. It wasn’t 50 yards away but when I lay down to shoot from the bipod, was out of sight. Sure enough, it begins circling and I could not get a good shot. It gets my scent and takes off. Tongue lashing #2 began about that time.

The very next stand has these guys hung up at 400 yards. Try as I might, they would not come any closer.

I spent the rest of the day calling stand after stand and never saw another coyote, but I did get a great picture of one of these guys:

Nope, I didn’t kill him. Badgers aren’t prime yet and I wait until January/February before I will harvest one. I saw 3 badgers on this trip and could have easily taken all three.

What lesson did I re-learn today: 1) Coyotes will circle downwind 98% of the time. Always setup so you can shoot downwind. 2) Shooting coyotes with a rifle is difficult enough, shooting coyotes with a camera and the same one with a rifle is nigh on impossible! Shoot one or the other but not both. Wait until one has done it’s job before you grab the other!!!

Last edited:
Back