Official Broadhead Damage Thread

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiZack that's true, but when a deer is hit bad is when broadhead damage is most important!! More penetration=More damage. The point I was making with the above pictures, is that both deer were shot in the gut, which should result in a pass through with most bow setups, as this is the softest area of the body. Both deer were shot broadside at close range. The reason they didn't get a pass through on either deer is because their bows don't have enough energy to push the big mechanical heads through the deer. The result is less damage due to poor penetration.

Exactly. I bought into the Rage hype and paid dearly. I will shoot quality fixed heads from here on out.

I have no experience with the rage broadheads, but all I have heard is how they fall apart. Usually before they are even used.

-Dave

Originally Posted By: Zack BeamDo you know what heads they were using?

The first deer was shot with a rage 2 blade. The second was shot with a 3 blade mechanical, but I don't remember for sure what brand.

This deer was shot through both front shoulders with a Grizz Trick 100gr. 4 blade. It was a complete pass through, & both legs were broke. Blades were bent, but not broken The deer went down on impact & pushed itself with its hind legs about 30 yds before it died. A friend of mine shot this deer & after seeing the damage I switched over to them. I've been very pleased with there performance.

This is the entry hole. Exit is even bigger, but I don't have any pics of the other side. I hid my friends identity because I'm posting this picture without his knowledge.
taxidermy-hunting066-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: ARDaveI have no experience with the rage broadheads, but all I have heard is how they fall apart. Usually before they are even used.

-Dave

That's what happened to me Dave and on the first shot with that particular head. Never again.

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgOriginally Posted By: ARDaveI have no experience with the rage broadheads, but all I have heard is how they fall apart. Usually before they are even used.

-Dave

That's what happened to me Dave and on the first shot with that particular head. Never again. Same here, had two come apart after impact in one season. I have settled on my decision to use Slick Tricks this year.

100gr NAP Shock Waves
Diamond- Black Ice
28.5" - 73lbs
Fly like field tips
39yds, ranged with the Swaro LRF

Roughly 100yds, she shovel nosed through the cut bean field and piled up just before the creek. Dead center in the heart. Arrow broke off in her far shoulder.
DSCI0463.jpg

DSCI0473.jpg

100gr NAP Shock Waves
Diamond- Black Ice
28.5" - 73lbs
Fly like field tips
20yds, ranged with Swaro LRF
30-40yds.
3f326969.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110I bought some Rage, but haven't had a chance to use them. They'll be broken in this fall... Be sure to give us your opinion after a couple of kills.

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110I bought some Rage, but haven't had a chance to use them. They'll be broken in this fall...

Good luck with that. Might want to save yourself some grief and buy a quality head.

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgOriginally Posted By: SuperSeal110I bought some Rage, but haven't had a chance to use them. They'll be broken in this fall...

Good luck with that. Might want to save yourself some grief and buy a quality head.

thumbdown.gif
Just curious...have you ever shot Rage Broadheads?

Oh yeah. Couple of impressive kills and one unmitigated disaster that wouldn't have happened with something other than junk. That's when they went in the circular file.

they work good when they work....that it is when they work. almost every deer i have seen shot with them is far from a pass through. and i have seen them hinge on impact before too...

True. Not much left to chance with a solid fixed blade head. Just shot some G5 Strikers last week. They flew every bit as a good as the Rage from my bow. That will be my head of choice this fall.
thumbup1.gif

i have heard good things about the G5. never used them though. Only thing i didn;'t like was that they were a solid head and no chance for replacement heads. My boss used the heck out of them last year and always had great shots, so i guess it doesn't matter much. I have been using wack'ems for years now and love them. My brother just switched to slcik tricks and they are now my new favorite. I am talking dead nuts to field point. and sharp as can be

The Montec is the solid head and has a reputation for not coming from the factory very sharp and for being difficult to sharpen. The Striker is the replacable blade version of the Montec. Their factory blades are the sharpest I've seen and the head flies beautifully. I had narrowed it down to the Striker or the Slick Tricks but prefer a 3 blade head over a 4 blade giving the G5 the nod for me.

haven't seen those yet i guess. I wasn't huge fan of the 4 blade head until i shot my brothers slick trick. I was blown away!

Im thinking about trying out some G5 T3's this year along side my Rage. Im out of town this week, but next week im going to try and kill a pig or two and hopefully ill have some more Rage pictures for yall...if the pigs are still moving like they were.

Back