Official Broadhead Damage Thread

I have shot two packs of them all good kills on pigs and deer. I just liked the Slick Tricks better so I switched back after trying them a year.I still have 3 or 4 heads around here somewhere but no blades.

Last edited:
I switched from Muzzy 3 blade 125gr broadheads to the Slick Trick 125 grainers a couple of years ago. I've been thoroughly impressed with the ST's to say the least. No damage pics though.

I saw some guy on you-tube shooting different broadheads thru a 55 gal drum to see how they held up. Slick tricks was one of the few that just smiled and said, that was fun.

1. Razor Trick
2. Martin Cheetah
3. 58# @ 28"
4. Flight is the same as field tips, out to 50 yards. That's as far as I've tested them. These broadheads consistantly hit a 3" target dot at 50 yards.
5. The shot was 12 yards from a treestand, but I hit the onside shoulder. Even so, I still obtained 16" of penetration. The corner of the main blade was broken off, but that has to be expected when hitting a large bone like the shoulder.
6. The tracking job was 1400+ yards, which is to be expected when only one lung is hit. I got a good education on this blood trail and my persistance paid off.

The entrance wound is obviously too high and too far forward, but fortunately the shot was from a high angle downward.
Yes, I'd use these broadheads again.
thumbup.gif

I prefer fixed blade broadheads, for large game.
thumbup1.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
CornFieldBuck.jpg

RazorTrickWound.jpg

I ended up right back where I started 25 yrs ago, thunderheads. I was playing with mechanicals and started loosing arrows from not getting pass thrus. Id get pass thrus but only under 20 yds for the most part. I switched back to theads and havent lost an arrow since. The POI isnt the same as field parts at least form any of my bows. I used muzzys for a while but I think Theads are better. Muzzys were prett dull and Theads dont stop for anything. Im sure there are equally good Broadheads out there.

Originally Posted By: TjkillerI ended up right back where I started 25 yrs ago, thunderheads. I was playing with mechanicals and started loosing arrows from not getting pass thrus. Id get pass thrus but only under 20 yds for the most part. I switched back to theads and havent lost an arrow since.
Tjkiller,
I blame part of this on the commercialization of the archery industry.
thumbdown.gif
Often bowhunters get carried away with the idea of larger holes in deer and it comes at the cost of the loss of penetration. Common sense dictates that 2 holes bleeding are better than 1.
cool.gif
Bowhunters that are shooting a 1 1/8" cutting diameter fixed blade broadhead will switch to a 1 1/2" cutting diameter mechanical broadhead and 2 things happen...
1. There's a loss of penetration, because it takes more K.E. to push that larger cutting diameter through a deer. Plus, the deployment of the blades.
2. There's only one hole...an entrance hole with no exit wound for blood trailing. Very few bowhunters have the tracking skills necessary to find a deer, without a blood trail.

Such commercial ads as, "Bad to the Bone", leads bowhunters to believe that there's bone splitting capabilities with the use of their broadheads. A bow kills by way of hemmorage ie. blood, this is NOT a rifle, it's a bow...shoot the soft tissue areas that will bleed. Other ads like, "It's like throwing an ax through an animal", is hog wash. An ax is an ax and a wider cutting diameter mechanical broadhead...without increase K.E. is a loss of penetration and a lost animal.
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: Tjkiller The POI isnt the same as field parts at least form any of my bows. I used muzzys for a while but I think Theads are better.
Try shooting some short ferrule broadheads, of your brand of choice. You'll find that the same P.O.I. will become the same...assuming your bow is tuned properly.
cool.gif
The shorter ferrule allows for less wind drag, which allows for less "steering" of the arrow and improved flight charactoristics.
thumbup1.gif

When it's all said and done, each bowhunter has to use what works for them...and stay with it.
thumbup.gif

Archery is full of personal choices and that's what attracts so many to it.
smile.gif

1. Fuse Banshee
2. Martin Cheetah
3. 58# @ 28"
4. Flight/accuracy is same as the Razor Tricks mentioned above.
5. The shot was 10 yards from a ground blind (blown down tree) The arrow passed through, entering at the front of the left rear leg and exiting just ahead of the right front shoulder.
6. I blood trailed this deer, but didn't have to, as she ran approx. 80 yards and was dead on her feet. The blood trail started after about 30 yards from where she started running and became outrageous as it went.
thumbup1.gif

Yes, I'd use this broadhead again. There was absolutely NO damage to this broadhead. All the bones were missed and the only vital organ that I didn't hit was the right lung. The liver, left lung and heart were hit and the field dressing job wasn't any worse than any other chest cavity hit.
cool.gif

DoeD.jpg

Entrance Wound
DoeBow.jpg

Exit Wound
Doerightside.jpg

Originally Posted By: bowhunter57Originally Posted By: TjkillerI ended up right back where I started 25 yrs ago, thunderheads. I was playing with mechanicals and started loosing arrows from not getting pass thrus. Id get pass thrus but only under 20 yds for the most part. I switched back to theads and havent lost an arrow since.
Tjkiller,
I blame part of this on the commercialization of the archery industry.
thumbdown.gif
Often bowhunters get carried away with the idea of larger holes in deer and it comes at the cost of the loss of penetration. Common sense dictates that 2 holes bleeding are better than 1.
cool.gif
Bowhunters that are shooting a 1 1/8" cutting diameter fixed blade broadhead will switch to a 1 1/2" cutting diameter mechanical broadhead and 2 things happen...
1. There's a loss of penetration, because it takes more K.E. to push that larger cutting diameter through a deer. Plus, the deployment of the blades.
2. There's only one hole...an entrance hole with no exit wound for blood trailing. Very few bowhunters have the tracking skills necessary to find a deer, without a blood trail.

Such commercial ads as, "Bad to the Bone", leads bowhunters to believe that there's bone splitting capabilities with the use of their broadheads. A bow kills by way of hemmorage ie. blood, this is NOT a rifle, it's a bow...shoot the soft tissue areas that will bleed. Other ads like, "It's like throwing an ax through an animal", is hog wash. An ax is an ax and a wider cutting diameter mechanical broadhead...without increase K.E. is a loss of penetration and a lost animal.
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: Tjkiller The POI isnt the same as field parts at least form any of my bows. I used muzzys for a while but I think Theads are better.
Try shooting some short ferrule broadheads, of your brand of choice. You'll find that the same P.O.I. will become the same...assuming your bow is tuned properly.
cool.gif
The shorter ferrule allows for less wind drag, which allows for less "steering" of the arrow and improved flight charactoristics.
thumbup1.gif

When it's all said and done, each bowhunter has to use what works for them...and stay with it.
thumbup.gif

Archery is full of personal choices and that's what attracts so many to it.
smile.gif

Great post and good advice Bow57. I've been on the broadhead merry go round before and will be shooting G5 Strykers or Slick Tricks this year and don't intend to turn back. I used Thunderheads for 20 years + with a few dozen kills but don't like their flight characteristics at longer range.

1. Broadhead Type - 100 grain Grim Reaperd HADES fixed Head.
2. Bow - 2008 PSE Brute.
3. Draw weight and draw length - 65 pounds with a 28 DL.
4. How they fly compared to field tips. I Walk my Bh's into my FP holes. Close match.
5. How far the shot was - 50 yards
6. How far the tracking job was - He dropped in View. About a 40 yard walk.

This is the entrance,

9-15-09MuleySuccessHunt4x4020.jpg

Pass through at 50 yards. He was Slightly Quartering away. Impact was at the left shoulder/Pit and exited through the Front right bris/ right shoulder. he was slightly moving and feeding. Out open in a Alfalfa Field. Wavy terrain.

9-15-09MuleySuccessHunt4x4021.jpg

The Exit,

9-15-09MuleySuccessHunt4x4022.jpg

My Little helper. I'm partially disabled with a Bad back. Med. Ret. LEO. My son who was 8 at the time. likes to jump in and help daddy out with the gutting. I'm very proud of him.

9-15-09MuleySuccessHunt4x4017.jpg

well ill have to dig up the pics on my kills but my fav is
Crimson talons fixed heads
i shot a yote at 20 or so yards head on in the chest it stuck out his bung and mad a hole like a blender
as well as the doe i shot at 25 yards clean through it and resaults looked like a blender blade blasted through the deer
the fixed blade crimsons fly like my field tips and actually cut the wind great
i am shooting them out of a Buckmasters BTR set at 30 inch draw and 65 lbs

I've been keeping an eye on this interesting post just to see what the different opinions are on broadheads. Here's mine.

I run a blood dog tracking service along with my other main business. I track well over 100 deer a year, & I charge the hunter regardless of whether we find the deer or not. Since I charge to track, almost all of the deer I put the dog on are good bucks that are hit bad (mechanicals are the exception to this rule). Many of the deer I track that have been shot with mechanicals are actually hit pretty good, but there is often times no exit wound making for a poor blood trail. We find or bay almost all of the deer we track, & often times a follow up shot is needed. We don't get them all, & I believe most of those deer make it unless infection gets em later on. I keep up with all of the deer I track & what they are shot with. I've found over the years that deer shot with mechanicals more often than not only have an entry hole & no exit (penetration problems) they are also a lot more likely to tear up than a fixed blade. Of the deer that we have not been able to recover the majority of them have been shot with mechanicals. Last year I tracked 106 deer, 49 of them were shot with bows, the rest were gun. Of the 49 bow shot deer 32 were shot with fixed blade heads, & 17 were shot with mechanicals. Of the 32 shot with fixed blades we found 27 of them, 84.4% recovery. Most of the deer recovered also had exit holes from the fixed blade heads. Of the 17 shot with mechanicals 11 were recovered, 65% recovery, & over half of the recovered deer did not have exit holes.

I personally have never tried mechanicals because of the reasons listed above. I have had extremely good luck with fixed blades. I shot Muzzy 115gr. 4 blades for years, then I switched to the shorter ferrule Muzzy mx4's. Since then I changed to the Grizz Trick 100gr. 4 blades because they are built on a similar design as the muzzy's just better in my opinion. The blades are sharper & thicker, they have a larger cutting diameter, the ferrule is short (flies great)& a one piece design. I don't see changing from them anytime in the near future, great heads! I've shot 7 bucks since switching to them & only one made it out of sight, I shot all seven with the same head & arrow, just changed the blades.

OFFICIAL DAMAGE: fixed blades do more damage because they penetrate & hold together a lot better than mechanicals.

Excellent post cook. I have pondered the idea of a tracking dog in Illinois, but would not have any idea where to start. I believe a fella could do pretty good around here tracking some of these trophies, and especially if you get a reputation for a high percentage of recovery.

Rubenator, I can't think of a better place than IL to have a tracking service. I bet you would stay busy all day & night with the quality of deer you have there.

Here's a couple from last season. Both were shot with mechanicals. Both were gut shot. Neither was a complete pass through. Little, to no blood. Both were shot with approx. 60lb bows. Both would have been impossible to track without a dog.

Top deer shot with 2 blade rage. Arrow was found just before finding the deer, it came back out of the entry hole.

taxidermy-hunting085.jpg

bottom deer also shot with mechanical (forgot what brand). Arrow broke off, broadhead end of arrow is still in the deer.

taxidermy-hunting136.jpg

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiI've been keeping an eye on this interesting post just to see what the different opinions are on broadheads. Here's mine.

I run a blood dog tracking service along with my other main business. I track well over 100 deer a year, & I charge the hunter regardless of whether we find the deer or not. Since I charge to track, almost all of the deer I put the dog on are good bucks that are hit bad (mechanicals are the exception to this rule). Many of the deer I track that have been shot with mechanicals are actually hit pretty good, but there is often times no exit wound making for a poor blood trail. We find or bay almost all of the deer we track, & often times a follow up shot is needed. We don't get them all, & I believe most of those deer make it unless infection gets em later on. I keep up with all of the deer I track & what they are shot with. I've found over the years that deer shot with mechanicals more often than not only have an entry hole & no exit (penetration problems) they are also a lot more likely to tear up than a fixed blade. Of the deer that we have not been able to recover the majority of them have been shot with mechanicals. Last year I tracked 106 deer, 49 of them were shot with bows, the rest were gun. Of the 49 bow shot deer 32 were shot with fixed blade heads, & 17 were shot with mechanicals. Of the 32 shot with fixed blades we found 27 of them, 84.4% recovery. Most of the deer recovered also had exit holes from the fixed blade heads. Of the 17 shot with mechanicals 11 were recovered, 65% recovery, & over half of the recovered deer did not have exit holes.

I personally have never tried mechanicals because of the reasons listed above. I have had extremely good luck with fixed blades. I shot Muzzy 115gr. 4 blades for years, then I switched to the shorter ferrule Muzzy mx4's. Since then I changed to the Grizz Trick 100gr. 4 blades because they are built on a similar design as the muzzy's just better in my opinion. The blades are sharper & thicker, they have a larger cutting diameter, the ferrule is short (flies great)& a one piece design. I don't see changing from them anytime in the near future, great heads! I've shot 7 bucks since switching to them & only one made it out of sight, I shot all seven with the same head & arrow, just changed the blades.

OFFICIAL DAMAGE: fixed blades do more damage because they penetrate & hold together a lot better than mechanicals.

Great post! I tend to agree with you on the mechanical issue and have noticed the lack of penetration (as compared to fixed blade) specifically on hogs. With that said I shoot a slower bow but there definitely seems to be a pattern.

Both of those deer look to be bad shots to me. If the arrow isnt put in the right spot then no broadhead will do its job very effectivly.

Zack that's true, but when a deer is hit bad is when broadhead damage is most important!! More penetration=More damage. The point I was making with the above pictures, is that both deer were shot in the gut, which should result in a pass through with most bow setups, as this is the softest area of the body. Both deer were shot broadside at close range. The reason they didn't get a pass through on either deer is because their bows don't have enough energy to push the big mechanical heads through the deer. The result is less damage due to poor penetration.

Back