NYS Coyote Hunters

Getting off subject for a minute. I can't get into my PM box to see my messages or send them. Anybody else here having this problem?? Thanks, Mark.

outdoorsjoe222:

You guys look a bit cold in that picture! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Congratulations on a good hunt and being the winners of the hunt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Mark...pms are working, try again. Sometimes it's just a hiccup in the system.

outdoorsjoe+John---------after 2 days asking what the heck to the administration here-----my hiccups are gone--------thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Mark.

What's up fella's? Kind of quiet out there????

I've been out a few times but I'm back into my old routine of chasing smoke in the wind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Man these coyotes are something else..... they have my number that's for sure. I guess that mathematically sooner or later I have to cross paths with a dumb one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is one terrible terrible addiction.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif At least I'm getting some exercise.

Good Hunting

Perri...

They're all mad at you......the last one you shot with the bad leg must've been their local hooker..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Adios'
Bob

Hey Bob,

That's too funny. But given the way she looked I'd think they'd be thankin me! Heck I didn't check her teeth but I bet half of them are missing./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Going to try and get out this afternoon for a short hunt. I don't know about this cold. I'd prefer it in the upper 20's. I have to put so many layers on I look like a kielbasa about to burst. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Perri

Quote:

Heck I didn't check her teeth but I bet half of them are missing./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

.....Okay Perri.......a West Virginia Hooker then...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like the old joke...."What do you have when you've got 32 W. Virginia women in a single room at one time ?"............"a full set of teeth " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck out there today...too cold over here, and blowing like hell.

Hangin' out with the kids.....& of course "The Outdoor Channel" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care,
Bob

well guys i won't be out for awhile due to an appendectemy! hopefully i will get out in a few weeks for the remainder of the yote season. good hunting!

Well here's my first coyote I've got by calling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Got him Saturday afternoon about 430 pm. Quick setup, about 3 minutes by my brother watch.

FirstCoyote.jpg

Not a very healthy looking dog. Very little fur on him and he's missing about 8 to 10" of hair on his tail. But that's OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
But he tipped the scales at 44 lbs.

Congrats Smoker. Looks like he's related to some over in this neck of the woods.

Posted this on the NY site but this site is like home.
It's a pretty long read.

Well after having to cancel last nights hunt due to domestic harmony negotiations, I had to get out for a couple of hours today. Even that concession required that I be back in time to prepare tonight’s dinner.

So around 11:30am I went to a place I haven’t hunted before but had the coyotes howl there from afar. After visiting with the property owner, he told me the “easiest” way to get to the top of the ridge. The guy must be part billy goat because for my money the only easy way is up there is via helicopter.

As I worked up the side of the hill, I cut several sets of deer and coyote tracks. Some looked to be fresh but it was hard to tell because they were so wind blown. Oh, the wind was gusting!!! It made the 15 degree temp feel like 0.

Once on top of the ridge I saw that the cover was pretty thick. The wind was blowing right to left so that sort of determined my stand location and call set-up. I chose the most open area (given the wind) to watch. Set the call about 30 yards cross wind and settled in.

The sound I chose was one of my “mixes”. The ones I like the best include series of howls then distress sounds. This time the distress was a fall bawl. I started the caller and about 6 minutes in (after the first few bawls) I caught movement as far out in front of me as I could see. It was moving left to right. Then it was gone. I was pretty certain it was a coyote but wasn’t 100% sure. I turned the volume way down on the caller. After a minute or so I muted it completed and waited. Nothing happened for maybe 5 minutes. Then I saw her exiting stage left. I quickly changed the sound to the Lil jack. That got her attention and she recommitted herself. On the way in, she used every d*mn piece of cover between the caller and her. I had no shot UNTIL …. she wanted to get down wind. To do that, she’d have to go into the more open woods. When she cleared the last bit of undergrowth and started to quarter down wind and toward me I was ready. She made a momentary stop to look for the poor bunny and I let the lead fly. She went down and never moved. I hit the Bryon pup for about 3 minutes then waited another 5. Nothing showed so I called it a stand.

She came in from the left to the tiny spot of snow in the center of the picture. You can barely see it.
February4072.jpg

Nothing much to look at.

February4076.jpg

I'm still happy as a sh** , oops forgot about the kids. You know what I mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
February4078.jpg

Good Hunting

Coyotesmoker, Top notch hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif You said he was not very healthy looking and that loss of tail hair. If he by chance has mange ya might want to burn him. Mange can spread by the parasites that cause it. Just a suggestion. If you would like to know more about mange in our state you can go to that NY site. Regards, Mark.

I don't know 'smoker. He looked pretty good in the back of your truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Better than "my" fox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

We'll just have to keep the pressure on as long as this balmy weather keeps up.

Congrats Freebm, your on a streak. Calling them in during the daylight to boot, Im jealous. I'm going to try a little daylight hunting this week. Hopefully its cold enough that they will come to my calls while the sun is still up.

goose,

Sorry to hear of the layup.....gotta "get er' done" though. That stuff ain't nothin' to play with, for sure. If you take it easy for a week or two afterwards, you'll catch the end of coyote easily. Fox, maybe not.

Take the time & heal up good.

Coyotesmoker,

Welcome here with a score to show for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif......good goin'.
My first coyote I got several years ago looked pretty much like yours. I was hunting (as luck would have it) on a veterinarian's property up just oustide of Batavia, N.Y.

I only dragged it from where I shot it to the railroad tracks (about 250yds.) that crossed his property where he was waiting with my other partner. He told me to toss it.....shocked, I asked "why".....and he said it had an advanced case of sarcoptic mange.
He also told me to toss my gloves, but I plastic bagged them and soaked them out when I got home.
This time of year (and then too) they should be good and fluffy, with heavy underhair growth. Beginning stages of mange, I've been told, start around the hind end & leg areas, and usually leave the tail a long skin & bone strip.

John (rcpilotjae) has a very good piece on mange posted over on his site at; CoyoteMaster.com

Nice take regardless my friend.......

Also.....good score KnockEm'........

That's good shootin' with the old black rifle.....

Sounds like you had him fooled and comin' in, then he got a little suspicious and headed for brush to try and circle you. As luck would have it, he broke into the open first....

We haven't had any coyote luck yet this year (should start picking up with mating season here soon), but I've been watching the fox respond. Even though they come in much quicker, they've been doing the same thing. They'll start heading in, straight for you, then, all of a sudden and without warning, they'll cut off almost 90 degrees to head downwind from your spot.
I had three out of four fox do that last week. Never really paid much attention before, but it seems to be a trait of most wild canine types.

Anyway, I did the same thing you did, shot them before they got out of sight. Once they hit the brush, you never know where they're going to appear, if they even do.

Nice hunt/read, good shootin' and that photo looks like a pretty ornery male maybe ?

Goin' going all....
Bob

Coyotesmoker:

A coyote is a coyote, even if he/she has a bit of mange, it's still a good hunt and take. Congrats!

knock'emdown:

Great story and pix! Another congrats!

Back