NYS Coyote Hunters

Hey Fred,

Sounds like you had a good weekend. The nerve of that coyote!! LOL Next time you'll have to set up right on the road. Sounds like you travel with plenty of firepower. I'm in the market for a shotgun that carries 89% of it's energy and patterns 92% in a 30 inch circle at 140 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Know where I can get one?

Bunnies, one of my favorite things in the wild to eat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif When I was a kid ,my mom used to make them in a smoking white milk sauce. Oh was that good...... I haven't seen hardly a rabbit or hare track in this area. Maybe they're on the down side of their population cycle. Does anyone know if they are?

Well tonight I'm without anything to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Guess I'll just have to put in a couple of hours on the stand. The weather should be perfect for putting the hurt on something.

Thanks everyone!!

Sorry to hear about your yote Perri.

Mark, I was using my Cronk call as an open reed.

Good story Fred and at least you know there are plenty of yotes in the area.

With the coldest weather of the season coming in now, hopefully they will be hungry for the weekend.

Wilky

Well guys I was feeling like I needed to redeem myself. Ran home after work threw on the gear and went to a place only 3 miles from here. I hadn't been there in about a month.

As I started up the tractor path I saw the usual deer tracks, but after about 300 yards up the hill I saw what looked like large dog prints. As we had a little snow last night it was hard to tell. They had a rounder shape than the deer though.

I went a little further and could see that were two distinct sets. One was very large. With my hopes high I cut across a field and found a nice stand site. As I walked across the field to the side that borders the woods and brush I saw fresh coyote tracks going across the field and heading into the upper right hand corner. The wind was blowing perfect from the upper left to lower right. As the area behind me was open I didn't think they'd come from there.

I got settled in and cut loose with one of my homemade mixes on the FoxPro.It wasn't 5 minutes when this little fellow came out of some brush in the upper right corner. I could see he was small so watched as he headed along the edge of the field towards the caller. Nothing was right behind it so I sent a little lead his way. At the shot he buckled but didn't fall. As he lurched into the brush I let one go at his tail end. He buckled again. I was up and going across the field in a flash. This one had only made it a couple yards in. I was about to dispence the coupe de grace but he wasn't going anyplace. He did let out a death cry. It didn't sound at all like the Ki-yi's or wounded pups we hear on the tapes or videos. It was two high pitched short howls like. Sort of sounded like the last air being let out of a balloon.

She was small. Maybe 30 pounds and ugly to boot.

I call HER my Redemption Dog!
CoyoteJan23073.jpg

Finally!!!

Redemptiondog.jpg

She does look funny. Her rear left leg is about 3 inches long than her right leg. The first shot hit about 2 inches further back than I wanted. The second shot ...well like I said , I was shooting at the tail end.

Good Hunting

Quote:
Yes, any coyote called in and taken is a trophy. Nice work!

that is so true! congrats and keep em comin'!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

goose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks Guys,

Fred, I'll hold the light!!!! You can shoot. The kick would send you half way across the county. LOL Also, I'm more like 1-3. That's why I'm bringing in a "hired" gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Here's something for those guys that get frustrated easily. DON'T GIVE UP. My stats go like this: approximately 35 (that's right) stands this season. 4 coyotes called in. 4 fox called in. Shot at 3 coyotes, missed 1, killed one, wounded one.
No fox killed. For some of us, the learning curve is just a little steeper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I took a look at her back leg this AM in better light. It appears that the joints from the "knee" down on the left hind leg are locked! It's like a straight stick.
Her fur was pretty nice but she's really kinda thin. Now PETA's going to be on me for using unfair hunting practices for shooting a coyote with special needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Freebm:

Yes, how dare you take the life of a handicapped coyote!
I'll bet he had his Handicap Sticker on his bumper too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good hunting! I'd take her too, in a heartbeat.

-JohnE

Hi. I am not new to hunting but I am new to this site and Coyote hunting. I've got all I need. Just bought a new A-Bolt 22-250, Foxpro FX3 with the jack-in-the box decoy, full camo, great dairy farm to hunt on. But if someone could offer tips on calling that would be great. I have 32 sounds on it mostly Coyote and varmint distress calls. I got the standard when I bought it but then added 16 more from Foxpro. I have two spot lights with red. My girl is buying me night vision for valentines day. But I will be hunting during the day as well. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:
Bgun,

Welcome. Sounds like you have all the necessary toys... um I mean tools to kill a coyote that's for sure.

About the only thing I can really offer is to be patient. In my area there are coyotes. How many? I really have not a clue. They do cross through every farm I hunt. On at least a weekly basis I'd guess.

I think there are three real simple truths to calling and having some degree of success. One is the coyotes have to be there, 2 is they have to hear you and 3 is they have to be interested in the call. I'd start with those basics then work on the details. The real sharpies here can give you pointers that will help to make you more successful. Things like which sounds work best depending on certain variables, working the wind, scent control, shooting, scouting,set-up, stealth....etc.

Read all you can on this and other forums. And ask lots of specifc questions. These guys love to share with others trying to learn.

Good Hunting.

YEAAAAAAA PERRI............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Man....good goin'......
With that gimpie leg, she must've been walkin' funny right ?

Nice job....and puttin' 2 shots into her during the action isn't easy.
That's something you don't see everyday, even if you had coyotes coming to your doorstep. A deformation like that is really an oddity....wow !

Welcome to the forum bgunit........Yep, sounds like your well equipped for the sport.
Be cautious on shots at close range with that 250, especially on fox.....and if possible, stay away from the shoulder....

Dennis and I had a banner day yesterday. Calling and comer's to the call were great (thanks to Kerry Carver's calls)....responses were great/results were so-so, but it was a ball.
Rather than repost it all here (including photos), I'll leave a link to the post if you want to check it out; CoyoteMaster.com

Good goin' gang....heading out Friday afternoon to the same location. Hell, they're running all over......

Take care,
Bob

On Wednesday I took off early. Got to the farm. Set the FX3 up plugged in the Jack in Box. Tested it. Went up on a perfect ridge about 70 yards away. Perfect cover. Set up. Perfect day perfect spot. Started calling. Nothing. Tried several times. The caller and decoy aren't working. I get up walk down get abot 7 yards away it starts working. Changed batteries. Still only works about 7 yards. I had this unit shipped from Gander mountian about 100 miles away. So today I went to the closer one only about 80 miles away. Got home early but it was in the 11% with high winds. Guess there's always tomorrow.

Perri, nice yote! Redemption it was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif The mity max is top notch but I had to modify it for the NYS winter temps. Great havin the hands free to shoot though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Bob, great hunt. Wish I was as adept in my writing skills as you. You should publish your hunts. Top notch outdoors reading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Bgunit, Welcome! A lot of knowlegde here. Good place to be.

Regards to all, Mark.

Mark....

Thanks for the kind words my friend......

I don't mind sharing my "lengthy" hunt experiences with you guys, but publishing something like that would be, well, "embarassing" for me I think. I consider it to be no different than the same hunts and experiences that you all have. Love to read your experiences even more....just like being there.

I just tell it like it happened, and even though, for what ever reason, some folks might embellish their experiences maybe, I just try to convey the excitement I had when hunting, or convey that personal feeling.
If I screwed up the shot, or setup, I'll say so, as it happens to everyone at one time or another. Freely admitting failure, or screwing up at times, lets those who are new to it all, know that it's okay, and that it'll happen. You just learn & move on.

Like many guys have stated on this board, bench shooting & field shooting are two totally seperate things. Doing bench shooting to develop your skills is a good place to start, but also spending time out in the field hunting chucks, fox, coyotes, squirrel's, etc., all helps develop "real world" skills.

I've missed shots because I got too excited or hastey, maybe forgetting past teachings, or learned lessons....yep, been there, done that. Sometimes I get too pickey as well, in trying to make that "perfect shot", and miss out altoghether.....
I moap, or gripe a little, then move on.

One of these days, since I'm retired and could use another purpose in life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, I'd love to do stuff like those hunting and shooting video's that I love to watch.
I know behind the scenes they're probably a ton of work, which I don't mind, but they look like a ball.....just the type of fun I love to have when hunting with the buddies.

Experiences you'll never, ever forget....and isn't that what it's all about anyway ?........building memories ?

PS-Bgunit.....sorry to hear of your troubles with the FoxPro. One of the few problems I've heard with them, honestly. But, you gotta hate it when you get to your setup and then find out you've got technical troubles.
One incident comes to mind when Andy mentioned his light dying on him. Puts a sour note on an otherwise promising evening....for sure.

Gotta head out....take care & stay warm,

Bob

Bob:

I thought your details on the hunt (can be found here> CoyoteMaster ) where very well written. Just as you said, you detailed the hunt the way it was played out through your eyes and it was good, realistic reading. It's not whether you did good or did bad, it's the excitement of going through the motions. It's the kind of writing that keeps you interested and wanting to read more. You may be a bit embarrassed, but you do write very well. And I'm not just blowing smoke, you know where.

Bgunit,

Try this with your FoxPro. Tie some type of lanyard on it. When you set it out, hang it from a tree or bush. Maybe two feet or higher off the ground. You can run the jack cord to the decoy. I have found that when I set mine up like this, I have excellent control with the remote from further than I need. Also, deliberate with the remote. Don't press the bottons real quickly.

Good luck.

Perri

Oh, I am just adding it to my list of stories. I really do like the call. Got a new one last night. I think the people in the Gander Mountain parking lot thought me a little odd. I brought batteries with me. Loaded them in and put it on the roof of my car and walked about 80 yards away. I did a few calls. It worked fine. I drove an hour to get there. My luck I would have gotten home and found the replacement didn't work. When I got home I loaded it with the 16 additional sounds I bought from FoxPro and printed up the labels with the template from the site. I'm good to go. Just need a sub-artic camo coat and pants for tonight. One buddy asked to borrow it next Monday. I can't go out that night. On sound 23 I downloaded Rage's pocket full of shells and changed the name to cottontail distress. I told him only to use sounds 23 and 24 when one is close. They were designed for just that. Wish I could see the look on his face when he calls one in and Bah dah, dun dun dah dah comes blaring out of the speaker. LOL Thank all you guys for the welcome. Everyone here is very helpful and friendly.

Back