NYS Coyote Hunters

great job coyotesmoker,freebm and knockem'down!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif great stories and nice pics from you guys! glad to see you guys connected! all nice size yotes too! congrats and keep em comin'!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

goose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fred,

Congrats on a nice dog. Man he's got some big "teef". Great pics and story too.
And the shot. Wow!! Those rifles really do shoot. I guess you're one heck of a shot also.

At first I thought that call in your mouth was a Cohiba. LOL

Goose, good luck. You'll be back at it in no time.

Later fellas.

Hey Thanks everybody /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats - freebm and knock'emdown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

freebm - this one came from Chenango Co. in the Tn of North Norwich.

Sureshot - I've been to the States web site and it don't look like mange (no pink belly or anything). The first week in December my brother shot a female during deer season and her coat looked pretty thin and it was about a mile to the southeast apart. I don't think I would like to spend a night out with the fur coat he had on.

Thanks again

knock'emdown Wow!!! What a awesome coyote!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif He would eat Utah coyotes for a snack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great story.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Kim -Carvercalls-

Last edited:
Fred - Last year my brother got permission to hunt on Pigeon Hill which is off Gibson Road to the east of the State Land. We did not have any luck but down to Mayhoods in Norwich there's a lot of talk of good hunting up there.

Lynn

Just east of North Pharsalia on NYS 23. I think maybe Gibson Hill Road is now call Pigeon Hill Road. You can come in from Beaver Meadow too.

Weather seems to be cooperating a little more. Unfortunately I wasn't able to hunt like I wanted. Did have a chance to scout one day. Went to a place full of ledges. Thought maybe I'd find a cat track or two. No such luck. Saw plenty of dog tracks though. Deer herd is looking good. Mild winter should make for a good season this coming fall.

Hope you guys are having some luck.

Later

Fred,

This weekend was a bust here to. Not even fox were havin' any.
They're calling for heavy snows down here from later this afternoon, on until Weds. night. Suppose to get up towards 2 feet here......we got enough without it coming in to keep coyotes and fox confined to the woods.

I spent most of Sunday walking deer trails through the woods checking for sign. Mainly in hopes of making some sort of prediction of a change in their habits due to the weather. I saw no coyote sign whatsoever, and very little fox track. Most of it was old.
Regarding the trailcam, catching them mating is akin to being abducted by alien's. Trail cam's are great for getting proof of those ghosts. I've thought about getting one myself, but my neighbor had his stolen from the woods out back where I was going to put one.
Don't have a clue who took it either. We're pretty close knit around here, and we know each other well. Anything that turns up in the woods as far as hunting equipment, etc., we usually grab it and then check around to get it back to the owner.

Hey Goose....hope things are mending well.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Perri........Keep pluggin' away....you guys are miles beyond us around here..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

CoyoteSmoker...

Looks to me that Otsego Co. is staying clear of all this mess for the most part. Man I'm glad I don't still live in Oswego anymore. Most of family still lives up north of Syracuse and over into the east part of Oswego Co. They got blasted, and hunting over there isn't even a consideration.

I lived in the City of Oswego through the blizzard of 77', and in comparison to anywhere else in NY, it was unbelieveable....the cops had to patrol the streets to keep the kids off of the snowbanks because they were afraid they might touch the transformers on the telephone poles......go figure.
As bad as it is in the winter though, it's equally as beautiful in the summer on the shores of Ontario. The sunsets are considered some of the most beautiful in the world. Lots of college girls too.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well all....take care, stay warm...and if you do go out, good luck.

Bob

Quote:
you guys are miles beyond us around here..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Bob:

We may not agree on everything---------but I surely agree with you on that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif See ya on the "flip side" of the state pard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Regards, Mark.

Mark,

I figured you would have connected by now.....

We haven't seen anything at all, and very little sign. We're going to pull out the stops and snowshoe if we have to, but there's a favorite spot up north of me that we can't get into by regular means.
It's a hell of a walk through deep snow just to get back there, but we've seen them there in the past. If they're around, they'll more than likely be holding in the woods.

Season is starting to get to the time when our luck changes, so we still have some optimism left.

We're suppose to get blasted with snow tonight and tomorrow, and I'm sicker than a dog with my usual crud the kids bring home from school, so it looks dim for the next couple of days.

I just "drug up" and watch the Outdoor Channel a lot.

If you go out, good luck......

Take care,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Miles beyond in what?????? LOL

Things have been very slow around here. Just finished watching the Coyote Dr's Prescription for Success video. I think it was very good. Lot's of useful information and the guys were down to earth. But once again, I was a little let down. I need a video called "Coyote Hunting for Real Slow Dummies", "Who hunt in the northeast" (subtitle)!!!! It was a quality video and I would recommend it. Those guys out west (south Dakota) have some nice territory to hunt. Seems to be a lot of coytoes too. I guess when you have that much ground to hunt, it's easier to go from stand to stand. I'm not saying that the coyotes are dumber by any means, it's just that it APPEARS your can make more and better set ups than here. For instance, some pieces of woods around here are unhuntable 80% of the time because of the prevailing wind. Out there, it LOOKS like you could drive around to another section and come in from a different side. I can't do that because of houses, farms, roads , etc. (sometimes).

However, there is nothing prettier that being on a high pasture overlooking the mountains around you.

Enough rambling. I sincerely hope that you guys who wanted all this snow have gotten enough. LOL You just couldn't be satisfied with 4 to 6 inches!! The Gods have listened to you and now they're going to answer your prayers.

Good Hunting

PS: I really do hope those of you that got hit by the storms are doing well. Too much snow or rain is never a good thing.

hey guys, just relaxing here waiting another week or so and i'll be back at it. i'll tell ya, this weather is crazy and we are getting another blast of it tonight. i can deal with cold temps. but that wind has been nasty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif i think yesterday was the first day in about two weeks it wasn't so windy!

freebm, i hear ya about the videos. i watched "calling all coyotes" the other day and i was saying to myself, man i wish it was like that around here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

good hunting guys!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Handgunr
Up in cold Gouverneur right now. This morning out in Edwards it was -23 below. At 330pm in Herman it got up to -4, it a heat wave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif There calling for 8-12" up here to night.
We've done a lot of work in Redfield NY. We stay at the Cross Roads. I heard on the Syracuse TV that they had 111" up there. And they can keep it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Be careful out there and good hunting every one.

I have only 3 words of ya all.....

I hate snow.....!

---------------------------------------------------

I thought about that for a minute and decided I have 6 words for ya all...

I hate snow and extreme cold! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Remember, the groundhog says spring is coming early this year, so it will be good weather and good hunting for all in March! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Gents:

I feel as a matter of honor and conscience one at times has to make a choice. I have made mine. This will be my last post on the NYS site HERE. I wish you all the best and may your hunts be outstanding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Mark.

Back