Nikon Coyote Scope

Well, in my opinion (and that's all it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif), if the center circle was illuminated, and a 1 MOA illuminated center dot was added, and it was offered in a 2-6 or 2-8X range, I'd be very tempted to have one. Or more than one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Well, in my opinion (and that's all it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif), if the center circle was illuminated, and a 1 MOA illuminated center dot was added, and it was offered in a 2-6 or 2-8X range, I'd be very tempted to have one. Or more than one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

+1. I would even take one without the illumination. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In time Nilon will proably offer an illuminated model. If I have my way, there will not be a center dot. Remember what I said earlier, our primary goal in the development of this scope was to reduce target acquisiton time. If you have a dot or crosshairs, you will be looking for them. We want to go to the loop system that speed competition shooters use or the old peep sights that are also know for speed.
I carried my prototype to the range on Sat. morning braving a 20 mph crosswind. At 100 yards, I was able to shoot a .6" group using the 36 grain Varmint Grenades. Since I am testing them for Barnes, I wanted to sight my rifle in with them before leaving this weekend.
If I wanted to shoot a coyote in the eye at 100 yards, this reticle would not be my choice, I would prefer a fine crosshair. When calling coyotes, I generally take shoulder shots or frontal chest...nothing fancy, just want the coyote down.
Another advantage of this reticle is I am able to see bullet impact with my .223. If I see the bullet part the fur where I am aiming, I can totally forget that dog. Being able to leave that dog quicker will mean that I am looking for another coyote/coyotes a little quicker.
I appreciate all of your input but Nikon can afford to make just so many different models at a time.
Good luck and happy hunting!
Gary

Thanks for all your hard work, Gary.

It wasn't my intent to be critical of you or Nikon here. I think the reticle is a good idea, but may be a tough sell to some hunters (myself included) who are not familiar with zero procedures without utilizing a dot or crosshair.

Please let us know how the reticle performs during your hunt.

I don't doubt that an open circle can be very accurate. The human eye has a very good ability to find the center of a small circle, that's been proven.
As far as the illuminated dot "cluttering up" what you've got now, that's the beauty of being able to turn it off.
Night, twilight, etc. you have still have a very quick and accurate sighting system, even if the reticle isn't visible.
But press on, what they have now is quite nice, and at least Nikon is interested in the market and making an effort. Don't take any of my input as negative opinions/bashing on Nikon, I'm a big fan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

A .6 inch group at 100 yards, in a 20 mph crosswind, with a recticle that has no center crosshair or aiming dot, AND with a light 36 gr 223 bullet that has a seemingly poor ot at best spotty reputation for accuracy?

Man! Sounds almost too good to be true! A report like that could only come from a sponsor! Come on now... You must be trying to sell us Barnes Grenade bullets and Nikon Coyote scopes. A .6 inch group? I do believe in luck, but I don't believe your results are very repeatable. What were the rest of the groups like? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I guess that most of the conditions I am hunting in (usually low-light and very thick timber, with some clear-cuts, farm canals, etc) are the exception when it comes to coyote hunting?

The fixed 4X32mm I have now is WAY to much scope for setting-up in the thick timber. I need something where the magnification starts with a "1" or "1.5", for maximum field-of-view, light gathering, and the fastest target acquisition.

The Monarch Gold 1.5-6X with the #4 post looks like the ideal scope for my area, and has got it over just about everything I can compare it to overall regardless of manufacturer.

After all, a 6X scope makes a 300 yard target appear to be 50 yards away.

For 1 inch scopes I wouldn't mind the Monarch 2-8, which is more in my price range. Still want 1.5 or less power for starters.

I spoke to soon. Nikon has a new thick-woods version as well. They just gave it a more exotic name is all.

Just checked out Nikon's updated site, and found what I was looking for in their new Monarch "African" scopes. Those are the ticket for timber! Looks like the old Turkey scope with a #4 reticle (finally!).

I AM overdue for a scope upgrade....this might be it. They even have a 1 inch 1-4X20mm version for my BKL Rings, but the potential 108foot FOV of the 30mm 1.1-4X24 version is awful tempting....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-monarch-african.html

Last edited:
Sounds like Nikon produced something different here. Don't know if I would personally like it as I have never tried something like it. I think we should be happy that Nikon is atleast willing to try something new. I'm sure if it works the rest will follow with a copy. If you look through Nikon's full line they have a scope that fits most of the wants listed above, maybe not all in one package but probably close. Bottom line sometimes perfect just isn't possible or what one person thinks is perfect just won't sell to the masses. As far as the .6 group it is possible even in a 20 mph wind as long as the wind is consistent and shooter is reading the wind. Go to a benchrest match on a windy day, its amazing what they can do.

I know what benchrest shooters can do, but they don't use 36gr Grenades in 223, or low powered scopes without a center crosshair or dot.

Like I said previously, besides the one amazing group in a 20 mph cross wind, what did the rest of the groups look like. And don't blame the wind if the other groups were poor, because you already posted how well you were able to shoot despite the wind. And you can't blame poor ammo because you are "testing them for Barnes" so there's no way you'd publicly say anything negative about them. And you're in kahoots with Nikon too, so you can't blame poor groups on the lack of crosshairs.

But really, who tests ANYTHING in a 20 mph cross wind? Why would you do that?

Stiff neck,
I think he said he was getting his gear sighted in before he left on his trip to test the products. He just may not have had a better day for it with time constraints.

That having been said there are some additional reasons I think a dot or crosshair might be in order. There are many predator hunters who will shoot at smaller animals in addition to coyote, such as fox or badger. The coyote circles wll most likely be too large for these smaller animals. Also, some hunters just will not use the lower circles. Not having a fine dot or crosshair to aim with would impede these guys.

Just my 2 cents worth (again).

I saw that as well.

I went to Cabelas today, hoping to get a glimpse of one of those reticles in person.

But no dice....they didn't have the scopes in yet.

i was all ready to get one due to the fact it will match the camo on my R-15 but i'm not digging the new reticle AT ALL...but in person it may be better...

I'm thinking it's feedback like this that Nikon & others look for in incorporating what you want into a new product...

While constructive critisism is wanted by them, if done in a nice way, it can benefit us all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks

Barry

Quote:
A .6 inch group at 100 yards, in a 20 mph crosswind, with a recticle that has no center crosshair or aiming dot, AND with a light 36 gr 223 bullet that has a seemingly poor ot at best spotty reputation for accuracy?

Man! Sounds almost too good to be true! A report like that could only come from a sponsor! Come on now... You must be trying to sell us Barnes Grenade bullets and Nikon Coyote scopes. A .6 inch group? I do believe in luck, but I don't believe your results are very repeatable. What were the rest of the groups like? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I love reading posts by the internet skill judges...

Gary is 100% class and if he said he did it, he did...

Ever think that the man is busy and the one range day he had the wind happened to be blowing?

You take care now and keep practicing that shooting...grin..

I too know & trust Gary & what he says. He's an excellent rifle shot & even helped in the design & introduction of the Savage Predator Rifle...

If the military can shoot great groups with peep sights, I know a scope has the capability. Not just everyone can do it all the time.

I saw the Nikon at the shotshow & don't see that I would have trouble shooting tight groups with the existing reticle.

There may be better, or more prefered reticles availible, but as I said, the input here is where you get your voice heard by the people that count.

I wish that Savage would put a better scope line on that Predator Rifle that is offered in the package series....perhaps if we had more input on that, the subject would come up when it matters most....I'm sure it's a good scope for the $$, but being a bit picky, I would take the scope off & replace it with something better before i even shot the rifle.

Barry

Barry (Rockinbbar) I normally enjoy your posts and for the most part agree with you. Heck, I wish Savage would upgrade the scope selection too, and was just thinking about it earlier this week. I also believe in standing up for friends, but even friends say and do stupid things now and then, and rather than defend it, I will either point it out or let it slide. However, I won't defend rediculous or exaggerated statements or behavior. I shoot a lot and have shot with some exceptionally good marksmen both for fun and competition. I can usually hold my own. Shooting half inch groups or better is what I expect from most of my rifles or they get sent down the road. I also live in one of the most windy places in the entire nation. In other words I shoot a lot in the wind. With that said, Gary might be one heckuva a nice guy and good shot, but methinks his statement of a .6" group in a 20mph crosswind, with Barnes fly-weight gernade bullets, using that reticle might just be a tad exaggerated. Perhaps his decimal point was a typo and should have been one to the right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifEven if he did shoot it, I guarantee it's not something he or anyone else could consistantly repeat with those parameters. I would also bet it was a 3 shot group or less. Sorry but with all due respect, I find his claim extremely hard to believe.

Back