Nikon Coyote Scope

Byron, my main go-to coyote rifle wears a Leupold 2.5-8X as well. I like it for the same reasons you listed, but if it went to 1X that is where it would stay most of the time.
coyoteoct11smallertroy.jpg

1x? I shoot most of my coyotes from 50-100 yards, and I keep my scope set on 6x the whole time. Every once in a while I'll crank it up to 10x-12x if I have a predator that hangs up or offers me a long shot.

But then again, I also take careful effort to DRT everything I shoot at, and I find it easier to aim at the vitals with medium magnification rather than low power.

Everybody has their own preference, but I suspect 3-9x will fit most people's bill, which is why it's such a big seller.

Quote:
1x? I shoot most of my coyotes from 50-100 yards, and I keep my scope set on 6x the whole time. Every once in a while I'll crank it up to 10x-12x if I have a predator that hangs up or offers me a long shot.

But then again, I also take careful effort to DRT everything I shoot at, and I find it easier to aim at the vitals with medium magnification rather than low power.

Everybody has their own preference, but I suspect 3-9x will fit most people's bill, which is why it's such a big seller.

1x by 8x or 10x.

Don't get me wrong, I already stated I would have purchased one of these scopes in 3-9x if I were to need one today on a bolt gun.

But I agree that being able to adjust from 6, 8, or 10x to 1x would be a good feature. The last coyote I killed came in to about ten feet from behind my left shoulder before it saw me (and I saw it).

For me the Weaver Classic Extreme 2.5x10x50 with the illuminated dot reticle is as close to perfect as I can find so far. It's not perfect but it comes darn close.
weaver_illumdualx_popup.jpg

Just another example of some gimmicky features to develop more sales.. works most of the time... me included!Sometimes we spend more time chasing equipment than chasing the critter.Over the years ,I find I can get the job done with whatever I have happent to be using at the time.

I've insisted on nothing but a small dot with fine crosshairs for shooting steel critters for over 20 years. Now that I've recently taken up shooting at the furry critters, it's very hard to change anything but the variable power on the scopes I buy. I would buy one of these Nikon scopes if it were built to the Monarch X specs with one of those purdy reticles like Ursus21 posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Kevin

Byron
It was good to see you at Shot. I appreciate all of the kind words. It is amazing the differences in opinions when it comes to hunting equipment, politics, trucks, whatever. At Shot, was visiting with Kevin Howard who does a lot of shooting and hunting. He also does the promos for Bushnell. Kevin said that he thought the 3" circle was to large for accuracy. I left Kevin and ran into Mic McPherson, outdoor writer and one heck of a shot on a coyote, running or otherwise. I know because I have hunted with him. Mic said the primary circle was too small...should be at least 6" in diameter.
After playing with the scope a little, I would come closer to agreeing with Mic. Remember, what we are trying to do is reduce target acquisition time...cut down on the time to recognize the shot and take it. I beleive that if we are not looking for crosshairs or dots we can reduce this time.
Of course, I have made a mistake before.
Thanks again,
Gary

Quote:
After playing with the scope a little, I would come closer to agreeing with Mic.

Did either of them look at the 1MOA dot in 10 MOA donut reticle like Millett is using?
Is Nikon even considering adding a reticle illumination system? That opens up a whole bunch of potential problems for them, as you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Well I heard back from Nikon. They were very gracious and will be updating their website with the reticle soon. I think they were asking for some feedback. Anyway, this is what they sent me. Sorry, the pic of the reticle did not come through:

Thank you for your recent email. I appreciate you bringing to our attention the fact that we neglected to show the BDC Predator reticle.

I will see to it that the website is updated as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I thought I would include the image below for your reference

The reticle is designed for a 100 yard sight in with the 223 and 55 grain bullets or a 200 yard sight in with a 22-250 and 55 grain bullets

The circles would subtend as follows:

Center of circle would be 100 yard zero

Bottom of circle would be 200 yard drop

1st circle would be 300

2nd circle would be 400

22-250

Center of circle would be 200 yard zero

Bottom of circle would be 250 yard drop

1st circle would be 350

2nd circle would be 450

Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments

EDIT: When I get home tonight I will try to post a picture of the reticle.

Last edited:
Okay here is the predator BDC reticle:

NikonReticle.jpg

I suggested an aiming "dot" in the center of the large loop for precise zeroing at 100 yards. Byron already mentioned a fine reticle in the circle. As you can see it looks like it needs something there for more precise aiming. I also suggested an illuminated dot option for those hunters who may favor this.

I must admit, I like the concept. With a little tweaking I think it could be a good setup for our purposes. If Nikon seems open to feedback we can suggest some lower magnifications.

4949shooter,

Thanks for posting the pic. I have to agree that there needs to be either a crosshair in the center of the big circle or a dot for more accurate sighting in and accuracy testing. I definately think the scope has potential with a few minor tweeks. I personally would like to see a 3-12X magnification, but that's just one man's opinion.

Did you forward a link to this thread to Nikon?

I just heard back from Jon LaCorte, Product Marketing Manager for Nikon. He said that Nikon had considered an aiming dot in the center of the large circle, but this would have required etched glass and would have driven the cost up higher than they wanted.

He also said they are considering illumination for future models.

Mr. LaCorte did say that he is able to shoot tight groups with the open circle and no crosshair. Personally speaking, I have no experience with shooting circles and I don't know if I would be ready to drop any amount of $$ on a shooting system I was unsure of.

I don't like the looks of the reticle myself. I'm not saying it wouldn't work good, or that I wouldn't like it if I tried it. I just can't see myself dropping $200-300 out of curiosity. Maybe a lot of raving reviews would change my mind but I really doubt it. I do like the glare killer, might get one for my current scope, I never really gave them much thought before. The most encouraging thing about the scope is that they are at least trying to cater to predator hunters. That fact alone bumps the whole brand up a notch on my list.

peace.
unloaded

was that just a quick drawing or is that really the reticle? Those arn't even circles..... I don't see how it could be accurate to shoot with but I too have never shot anything like that.

Looks like it would make a good shotgun reticule.No center aiming point?? . Very similar to what shepard has had in their scopes for years except shepards contain a center aiming point.I killed alot of coyotes with the shepard and it does work for ranging purposes, so I assume the Nikon would work also. Would be interesting to see how you would zero the scope without the center being defined.,so I see nothing new about this idea.

Quote:
was that just a quick drawing or is that really the reticle?

I don't know for sure, it's what was furnished to me. I copied the pic to my computer and then used photobucket to post it here.

Again, I think the concept shows promise but I would like to see a center dot for zero purposes.

Back