Jan. moon calling reports:MN

Congrats Ron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif... Way to go guys keep the pic and storys comin..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Chris....

Nice pictures HunterOO. Tell me about the camo on the rifle and scope. Did you buy it that way or did you add the camo your self.

Thanks for the comments guy's.

Leaddog,
The camo on the gun is a neoprene cover that comes in three pieces for a rifle made by Beartooth Products. The scope cover is purchased separately from the rifle kit. Nice for protecting from scratches and no tape or any adhesive. Easily removed for the summer. I need to order a shotgun kit from them. Here is the web site. http://www.beartoothproducts.com/

-Ron

I'm gonna summarise this cause there'd be a ton of good stuff to post about tonight but I'm pretty tired. Here goes.

Made 7 sets. Called in 6 animals.

1st set. Nothing.

2nd set. Had a coyote bum rush me early. I burried a 55gr chill pill (80 steps) into it's chest and kept calling. Here comes coyote #2 on Bens side. I loose sight of it but not before I lip squeek so Ben gets a heads up. Few seconds later Ben's gun barks. I see the yote running away the same way it came in. Try my luck at a running shot and miss. Then Ben misses too. Yote lives to die another day. End the set and I get to drag one out. Little fart. I'd be supprised if it wieghs 25lbs. The black legs are cool though.

3rd set. Had been calling for awhile. I turn all the way around to glance at Chris's side and see an animal walking in plain sight maybe 200yds away in the field. I turn around with the gun and start lip squeeking. I scope the critter and see it's a domestic dog. Set was about over anyway. The 3 of us stand up and meet in the middle. Chris unslings his gun and starts barking. I look over and see a red getting the hell outa dodge. I lay down and miss 2 running shots.

4th set. Was pretty interesting but we called nothing in.

5th set. I was sitting next to Ben and hadn't been calling long when I heard him shifting positions. I look over to Bens hard left and see a red fox taking off back over the hill about 75yds from us. Ben barked but it would not stop. No shots fired. Kept calling and only maybe a minute later another Fox approaches on Bens side but in front this time. I lip squeek it into about 100yds. Ben levels off...BANG-NOTHING. Fox gets away. 1 shot. 1 miss.

6th set. Sit down and shorytly after starting to call, an old male starts warning barks about a mile away. Probly bumped him out on the way in. Continued to call. Scanning the fields I see one running broad side on Chris's side about maybe 200yds. I lip squeek. It stops and I see Chris is looking in the right dirrection but could tell he could'nt see it. She takes off after about 10 seconds and is gone behind a hill. She start warning barks when she reaches the saftey of a tree line. We leave.

7th set. Had a very lonely female howl at us from about 1.5 miles while I called. She seriousley howled for about 10mins.

Very action packed night. Best night of calling this winter! Chris will probly ad one or two things. I left alot out.

You guys were brave!!But with that excitment you should of stayed warm.I tweaked my knee yesterday no chance I 'm heading out by myself in this cold. Good luck all & keep the great stories coming!

Made 2 stands this morning although I got out a little later than I would have liked. Didn't hear or see anything but that's not a real surprise considering it was the first time I have ever actually tried to call in a predator. I actually had high hopes considering all that I have learned from you guys on this site but to no avail. Oh well, that's just hunting.

Hit four spots saw nothing.

Though I heard something in the CRP in front of me on the last set but couldn't see it. Not a lot of snow out here (Willmar Area).

Ok the question is is calling at night way better than the day. I have done it a few times and havent found it to be any better than the day time. The coyotes do howl alot more but I suspose with breeding season coming it may be better. So what does everyone think?

Quote:
Ok the question is is calling at night way better than the day. I have done it a few times and havent found it to be any better than the day time. The coyotes do howl alot more but I suspose with breeding season coming it may be better. So what does everyone think?

Coyotes adapt quick to the environment they live in to increase their chances of survival. In my area, that means moving mainly at night to avoid being harassed. There is a ton of human activity around here durring the day. This is not the case in all parts of MN and is deffinatly not the case in all parts of the U.S. A good predator caller adapts with the coyote. You just cant set up the same and hunt the same in every kind of terrain, and you need to hunt the coyotes when they are active. Not when you want them to be active or when you think they'll be active.

So I'm not gonna try to tell you how to hunt coyotes in Fargo as I hunt no where near there and the terain is completely different. What you need to do is ask some of your local coyote callers how they do it.

If you're hunting within an hours radius of the Fargo area you might try rotating drivers to get the truck out of sight,that's pretty open flat territory and the howls you hear may actually be warning barks. Likely educated critters that close to a big city with all of the hype on predator hunting building in the last 10 years too! For sure hunt at night when you can and get that vehicle hidden.

The area I go to is about two hours drive away from town. Most days I am lucky if I see another person other than the guy I hunt with. We do pretty good during the day, it is a rare event when we don't get at least one or more or at least have a chance at one. Most nights it just seems things get screwed up, they either get down wind, it clouds up or who knows what goes wrong.

Just got done with the best night of calling ever. Yup, it even beats last night.... By alot. I'll sit down and type the play by play tomorrow with pics. Made 7 sets, and we ended up getting 3 coyotes and a red fox. I'm gonna try to track down number 5 in the morning or when ever I get up. Got pretty good blood, so we'll see.

I think that would match a good day calling in Canada. What a night.

My son Mitchell and I had a pretty good night/morning of calling. We headed to the first set around 10 PM. I set him up 40 yards behind me and I put the lone howler and the caller out in front of me. I'd been calling and howling for 20 minutes when I here what I thought was a mouse squeeking behind me,turns out it was junior, I'm afraid to turn around,I keep hereing it and then I here a woof and then he shoots. I turn around and cant see anything. I walk back to him and apparently two came across the field to his left and got down wind and started to bugger he woofed to stop but missed it clean.
2ND spot nothing.
3RD spot called and howled along the south side of a busy highway. Mitchell was behind me in a corn stubble field and I was watching over a hayfield to the west. Called for 30 minutes and I here him woof again, I turn around to see a red fox heading east. I lip squeeked him back but every time I tried to get him in the scope I'd lose him.
4TH spot Mitchell was getting cold so we were going to make it a quick set. He set 60 yards south of me and I was watching a field to the west. Called and howled but nothing showed for 20 minutes. I thought I'd try female invitation one more time and thought I heard some answer behind me to the east. I waited 10 minutes and got up, grabbed the decoy and the caller and headed back toward mitch to see if he was all right. We talked for a second and I was about to turn when I see two yotes heading west about 200 yards out. We hit the deck,pull the bipod out and line one up, he's facing me so I put the 17 REM on the center of his chest and he drops and never moves. The second one heads out of dodge but mitchell woofs him to stop,I put it on him but somehow missed. We paced off the first coyote at 165 yards and went to make sure it was a miss on the second and it had to be close to 250 yards, farther than I thought. Saving the rest of our spots for a next weekend,hopefully we can get mitch his first predator. And hopefully 20 degrees warmer!
IMG_0184.jpg

Started last night around 7:30... first spot, howled a couple times, thought I heard a faint response... let out one more high pitched then hit the distress. In less than a minute I catch motion to my left and see a coyote coming in... HARD! As I'm moving my rig to the left, he picks me off, turns inside out and is in 3rd gear as I pick him up in the scope... burned powder three times and nothin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Next set... same sequence, sat for 20 minutes... no response.

3rd set, we're on top of a ridge between two brushy draws. My buddy and I are sitting in a thin corn strip covering most everything. I'm thinking all along that they could slide in behind us. Started with a couple howls and distress and after 20 min. decide to wrap it up. I hear a whisper from my buddy that there's a 'yote behind us at 50yds. I slowly turn and pick one up around 30 yds behind me. As I'm getting on the sly one my buddy shoots... the 'yote bolts and I take a quick shot. Turns out he was shooting at a different dog... we had two right behind us. I paced off the location of the one I saw at 35 steps.

4th set... nothing.

What an unreal night of calling. I can't believe that we didn't drop at least one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif, but it was great to have the chance. Temps ranged from -18 to -21 with calm winds. What a great night to be out...

I think that would match a good day calling in Canada. What a night.

It may match Canada but not N.D. My Son has Ear infection so I was hunting alone.

Last night 5 stands 1st stand 5 came in and 2 ran away. first triple at night. I had 3 coming on a string at about 200 yds out and they were all looking to the West and a Double is coming down the fence line and I'm sitting in it. The FX3 is 50 yds to the North of me. When the 2 on the fence line are about 40yds out I barked and stopped the closest one. I shot him right in the neck. I hit the Coyote pup in distress and the 2nd one on the fence line stops at about 100yds and down he goes. I looked to the North and see one standing about 200yds out and swung on Her and down she goes. Have you ever drug 3 Coyotes 1/4 mile. Man thats like a job. Takes alot out of these old legs.

2nd stand Double coming in at about the 5 min mark. They are coming in fron the North. I took the back one first at about 70 yds. It was the 1st to stop and didn't get a shot at the second Coyote.

3rd stand had a pair of Red Fox come right up to the FX3 Lightning jack sound. I watched them for over 5 mins. Never took a shot just let them mill off.

4th stand triple comes in on a string till about 100yds and then they start to break apart. Shot the first one at about 40yds hit the Pup in distress and stop the 2nd one at about 150yds down he goes.3rd one no chance for a shot.

5th Stand stop the Pickup and as I'm topping a hill I see one on the ice in the Creek. I layed down and did a little lip action and here it comes. I got it stopped at 22 yds. Down he goes and my toes were cold and I called it a night.

All in all 14 Animals called in and 7 shot. If I wanted I could have had at least one Fox. There are all but extinct here so I will not shoot them. It was cold about -12 when I left the house and about -21 with winds out of the NW at about 5mph when I got back home in 3 hrs of hunting. Most stand were a average of 20 to 30 min long and nothing but the Lightning Jack sound at first. As soon as the Rifle goes off I hit the Coyote pup in distress sound to stop any other Coyotes around.

All shot with a Ruger 220 Swift Hornady 52gr Match Boattail HP. At about 3975 fps and very little hide damage. I skinned them all when I got home and only had one exit and that was one hit in the neck at about 40 yds. I shot 3 looking right at me and never exited. The other 3 shot right in the shoulder and no exits. The 52 gr sure are the ticket for Coyotes.

I hunted the same Creek for about 15 miles and plan on hunting it tonight starting where I let off last night. I will be wearing my white Beta boots tonight. There won't be any day time calling for at least 4 or 5 days. With the full Moon day time calling is crap.

Stay warm and keep your eye in the scope.

Well I think you need to change your screen name to "7lessdogs". Wow what a night. I also want to sincerely credit you for letting those fox run off. When I first got into this sport 15 years ago it was fox that I was chasing every time I went out. Soon the coyote became my predator of choice. Every time I went out it was the coyote I was hoping for. As I sit here today it is the fox that is my favorite again. Probably because they are becoming so rare in my area. Now Buker (or Bunker, which is hilarious by the way)may have a few extra tricks up his sleeve to bagging the fox in my area but for me I see very few every year. For those of you that dont know, the fox have filed a restraining order against Randy Bunker because he is lethal with them critters.
I would give anything to have the fox numbers bounce back, but I dont really know if I have the will power to pass on one in the feild.

Later,

Yupp

Me and TKA250- (Chris) and my cuzin Greg headed out lastnight and maid 6 sets...
First set we got set up two guys covering the west side and one guys covering the down wind.. I did a little rabit distress on and off for about 5 mins and out of no were.. !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifBANG SLAP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!! Yup it came in the down wind side like they do hahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif we had a guy there bad move Red Fox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...Chris put the hurt on a realy nice looking Red
Fox he said it was about 50yards or so.. So I keep calling and nothing.. Tryed some coyote vocalls and nothing.. So I ended the set..All the rest of the 5 sets we DRY!! Did not even get the chance to hear one coyote.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Ill let Chris tell alittle more about lastnight take it away Chris add pics to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ..

And nice job and congrats on the Fox again Chris... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Chris....

Back