Jan. moon calling reports:MN

I also believe they see fairly well at night. From what I understand it has to do with the way their eyes function and a trade-off for not being able to see colors. I also ran coonhounds for many years and they seemed to do OK on the darkest nights.

Wisco

Anybody go out hunting tonight? How the moon/light?

Thinking of hitting a few spots under the moon tomorrow night. Not too sure if its going to be bright enough to see. What is the best time to get the most out of that moon?

-Ron

Quote:
I am with Phil on this one. I read some where in a magazine
maybe, that coyotes do not see any better then we.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You can be with Phil on this one if you want. I'm ok with that. All I know is that when coyotes come in to me on moonless nights and I miss them, when they run out of the light I don't hear them hitting trees and fences as they run full out. If they only see slightly better that humans, I want you to try that. Just run through the woods at full speed with no light and let me know if you hit a tree or poke an eye out. I'm guessing they see slightly better than us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm wondering if the magazine article you read had anything to go on other than opinion.

I'm just basing this on what I've seen coyotes do in complete darkness and what I've seen my dogs do on moonless nights. If you have ever hunted with lights on moonless nights and seens how a coyote navigates to and from the call with NO light... you'd think differently.

I hope someone is out tonight taking care of some yotes. Here it is bright and pretty much windless, 4 below, but i know i would be out if i could, maybe i can sneak out tommorow night for a couple of hours, i don't think the bosss will mind. I did sneak out of town and let a couple howls out, but no answer.

Chris (Tka250) invited me to hunt with him tonight. I'm easily satisfied though. I'm happy if we even hear coyotes when I go hunting. We had more action than that though. Thanks again Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Made 4 sets last night with Phil and New Coyote (Chris). 1st 3 sets were dry and the 3rd was short due to my frustration with my PM4 not shutting off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif Made one more set, Phil was doing the calling and started with some coyote sounds then distress, when I spotted movement going away from the call. Looked small and thought it was a fox. It stopped broadside under 200 yrds right when I shot I knew it was a bad shot, clean miss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Phil didn't miss a beat and just kept calling. He did another series of coyote and distress sounds. I looked to my right in the middle of a plowed field and spotted what looked like a yote. I moved to get it in the scope and it was, so after adjusting it must have spotted the movement and started to move away. It stopped and looked back I fired and hit it, but could still see it moving so I tried to give it another and missed. No more bullets in the gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I reloaded and took off after it. Hit a back leg and tracked it for a looonnnngggg way but the blood stopped and it was moving pretty good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif My first run off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif So the last set we had either one that came back for a 2nd shot, or it was 2, and Chris said he cut some more tracks that never went over the hill into view, so maybe 3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Red Fox Finally!!!Made 3 sets last night, 1st set only took 5 min. Went to my secret spot on a river started w/ my JS FC-1 fox distress. Then went to the foxpro jay in distress. I notice movement to my left. Sweeet!!, I had my jack-in-the box running next to the FX3 and that pulled him in on a string! He kept looking and stopping and so on, finally he started to go down wind so I kissed and stopped about 35-40 yds and killed him about 8:45 pm w/22-250 40gr V-max, in the chest no exit for once. Pretty nice pelt! If I knew how to post pics i would. Going out for the next week every night, Good Luck!!!!!

I'm old fashioned and used a non-dig camera, but I'll be getting my wifes old one soon. I'm sure I can't send it to you without a scanner or something right? Thanks!

Guy's who run hounds will tell you that activity usually slows (harder to locate a track to drop on) around the full moon cycle for some reason and increases around the no moon period. Regardless it's a much better option than daylight around these parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Went out tonight and made a set under the moon. Got kind of a late start. My brother, LeRoy, came up from Waconia and we headed out at about 9:45pm. We could see the clouds rolling in from the west, so we knew we would not have much time with good light.

Got to the first spot and set up about 10:10pm. I have never called this spot only scouted it last winter. We got set up near a corner post in some good cover over looking a field to the west and north of our location. We sat only about 10 feet apart sitting back-to-back. We gave it 10 minutes to settle down.

I started out with 3 lonesome howls at 10:20pm. Waited a minute then went to rabbit distress #1 on the Fox Pro. I had the volume set at about half. I let it run about a minute then silence for about a minute or two. I started up for another minute of distress when I hear LeRoy start lip squeaking. I mute the caller and look over at him. He gives me the signal, one at the tree line(about 150 yards out).

He attempts to squeak it in for about two minutes. Mean while, like a dumb st*t, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I turn my head his direction and neglect to survey the area in front of me. I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye and wouldn't ya know there is one going away from me at a trot. Come to find out later, he was only 110 yards out in the wide open and there was another set of tracks with him. I find him in the scope, almost back to the safety of the trees. I let one go when he was 220 yards out. I hit him and he's spinning round and round. I wait, thinking he's going to go down. I gave him a minute and try another shot at about 240 yards, miss and he gone.

Go back to the truck and get the flash lights. We tracked him about 200 yards in this creek bottom. He is crawled into a hollowed out log and is still alive. He could have gone out the other end if he had the energy, but he was hurting bad. LeRoy put another one in him to finish the job. We spend the next 20 minutes kicking this log apart so we can reach him to pull him out. All said and done, two hour after we started our set, were back to the truck one coyote in hand.

The clouds rolled in and it was just too dark to try another set. First one called in and shot for me, ever. Felt great. Pic's to follow.

Good job Hunter00!

Not much goin tonight for Chris and I. Hit 6 of his spots tonight. Heard yotes howl from 2 different directions on the 5th set. That was the high light of our night.

The first pic is me and the second is my brother, LeRoy.
Dsc01061.jpg

Dsc01065.jpg

I forgot to mention, I hit the coyote in the upper back leg that's why he was not DRT. Not the best shot but, I'll take it and do better next time.

I hope things go this well this weekend when I leave for Canby, MN to chase Coyotes. It only took about 50+ sets for me to call one in and shoot it. I hope it doesn't take another 50 to get the next one. It was all worth it!

Good luck, -Ron

Congrats Ron, the monkey is off the back!

Me on the other hand am starting to feel my age, I really wanted to get out last night, but I was too tired from the night before, I just don't run that good on 4 hours of sleep anymore. I was sleeping before 9:00. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Made a 4 sets with T. Stein last night, first we hit a couple of my spots. Started about 9 bells, well started with 4 or 5 lonesome howls and no response, kicked on the fox pro with some rabbit distress, after a few minutes did some more lonesome howls but nothing. 20 minutes went by so i tried some ki-yis. I whistled to todd to end the set, we glassed the field for stragglers but nothing. i stood up and walked over to fox pro pick it up and i decided to hit the coyote locater for a second. Well sure enough a group started howling back so we sat back down and waited til they were done. I did a couple chall. howls, got a response. Well a few minutes went by and nothing was coming in, i tried a few ki-yis and boom here comes 2 right towards us. I just saw 1 at the time but,todd saw one farther back. it got with in 150 or so, so i squeeked the mouse squeeker a few times, about a hundred yards she stops and shoot bam, i hear the wappppp of the bullet, i heard the dog yip, so i new i hit it, well she took off running funny.(did some ki-yis), went to look for blood but didnt see anything but tracks. tracks went right to the swamp, ill have to go out today for a looksy to see if its laying around feet up.
Did 3 more sets but no response.

Back