Jan. moon calling reports:MN

Phil_Schmidt

Hit a spot last night before dark and noticed I could see my shadow on the snow from the moon while I was walking out. Got about 2" of fresh snow, In the last couple days, On top of what we already had. Chris and I are gonna hit some of his spots on Thursday night. Good luck guy's and lets hear some chatter.

Its gonna be cold here night time of about -15 for fri-sun nights then only 0 for the mon-wed, did score one yesterday evening, going tonight for a couple before darkers. I could see good enough through my scope the other night, but won't beable to hunt til friday night, then i got 7 nights to go. Fri-Fri. Thats what i love about my flexible work schedule. Good luck. They should be looking for love and responding good to vocals.

Going to try a new area for me. Western Minnesota. Canby, MN if anyone has heard of it. It's in Yellow Medicine County, not far from the SD border. A few guys from work and I are going to give it a try this weekend.

Anyone hunted this area? Any good?

We will have about 10-12 spots on private land and may hit some public land after that. Hope it will be worth the trip.

-Ron

I don't mind if it's going to be cold, just as long as the wind is not blowing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Good luck to all, -Ron

January full moon I will be out thursday,friday and saturday. I have made my plans picked my spots and ready to go. Maybe I should learn how to post-PICTURES- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Quote:
Western Minnesota. Canby, MN if anyone has heard of it.

I shot a goose that was banded there a few years ago. Kinda neat.
Yup,,, Yote vocals are gonna be deadly for those who understand them and know how to use'em. I think with the sub zero temps the critters will be on a feeding binge too so dont forget the prey distress at home. Got a couple more virgin spots to hunt today and know other spots I have, haven't seen a human foot print since deer season or longer. I'm ready to bring the noise. You ready Justin?

I'm new to this whole thing so could someone please explain the excitement surrounding the full moon? I know with snow on the ground it's easier to see without light but can you see through the scope to make a shot? Are coyotes much more active or vocal during a full moon? Thanks for the help.

I know Canby very well. Back in the days of the foxes, this area was one of the best in the state. Then the coyotes moved in and it was good for them. Then the mange came through and the coyotes went away.

The last report I got was there are some coyotes down there but not in very great numbers. My buds hunt pheasants down there and they didn't jump any this year. That's unusual.

Hey Hunter00, Im originally from Tyler MN and thats about 30 mins south of canby, and My advice for the canby area is not to go south into the Hendricks area because there are a big group of farmers down there tht shoot about 70 to 100 coyotes a year and the yotes just wont come to the call. Trust me. Ive tried!!!

Well the Moon is at about 40% right now so I took a drive out west to check the moon light.. The moon is bright and you can see pritty well but not enuff to make me happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.. But by tomomrow if the sky is clear im thinking you will be able to hunt at night I think im not a 100% on that but 75% chance it will be game on for hunting nights .. This new snow we got helped out alot in th feilds makes things alittle brighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif... I am pumped up and ready to kill some more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif....

Quote:
could someone please explain the excitement surrounding the full moon?

I get excited about it cause the coyote activity goes way up in my area at night. There's alot of human activity around here in the day time and it's hard to get a yote to come accrossed an open field in day light hours. A good friend of mine has great luck calling yotes in durring daylight hours in his area. But the terrain he hunts and the terrain I hunt are VERY different. Coyotes adapt to their surroundings to survive. A good hunter adapts with the coyote. You hunt the terrain the coyotes are in, Not the terrain you wanna be in. You hunt the coyotes on their schedule.... Not your schedule.

Quote:
I know with snow on the ground it's easier to see without light but can you see through the scope to make a shot?

Absolutley. Not sure if it's true with everyones scope, But I can actually see better through my scope at night than I can see with my naked eye.

Quote:
Are coyotes much more active or vocal during a full moon?

Good question... Coyotes dont have eye's any better than we do. So it makes sense, To me at least, That they would be a bit more active at night under the moon when human activity is at a minimum and they can also see their prey. I cant prove this theory it's just my beliefe.

Phil, thanks for answering my questions. I'm finally set up to go for the first time and it sounds like this weekend will be a good time to try it. There's a lot of great information on this site for a rookie like me and I really appreciate your (and everyone else's) willingness to help a new guy out. Thanks again.

I am getting pretty excited. I am heading home friday and will be hunting with a high school buddy Friday night. We have a dozen spots lined up. And my mom called me to tell me that two crossed the road in front of her this morning not 2 miles from my parents house.

Saturday night Phil and I are going out.

Let's gettum boys and lets see lots of good pictures!!!!!!!

Suppose I'll get the ball rollin here. Made three sets tonight on a few of the local lakes. 1st set had a coyote come in on Chris's side down wind. When the yote scented us it took off like a rocket and there's just no stoppin'em after they smell ya. We tried anyway. No luck. Second and third sets were dry.

Quote:
Coyotes dont have eye's any better than we do. So it makes sense, To me at least, That they would be a bit more active at night under the moon when human activity is at a minimum and they can also see their prey. I cant prove this theory it's just my beliefe.

Coyotes/canines actually see way better than we do at night.

I almost cryed when he winded me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif or us I sould say just if would have seen him a min sooner just one min DANG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif! It would have been on like donky kong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifDAM THEM DAM THEM ALL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif!!!! It did not reck my hole night but pritty close... He was leaving on a jet plane to get the hell away from us that is for dam sure and there was no stoping him..I thought about the hole time from then even up till now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif..I got to get this out of my head make it go away PLEASE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

" AND THE BAND PLAYS ON"

Quote:
Coyotes/canines actually see way better than we do at night.

K so I dug into this and the answer I got from DR.Wolf (supposed world renound mammologist) was that, yes, canines can see better than we can at night. But not much better. Those were his words.

Budy of mine studies mamals in St.Cloud and had a chat with him about it today.

Then they must have different eyes than my pet dogs. I can go out at night and throw a training dummy as far as I can and the dog will run right to it and retrieve it. I know I can't see it at all and she run to it without any searching by nose.

Back