Feral/Domestic Cats

Supe,

Don't waste your time or $10. If you want to hunt feral cats, I would suggest that you go hunt them on your own. Trust me , it will be more entertaining than that dvd. I know you were not promoting the video, I went to their site and thought it would be neat to see their approach to hunting feral cats, so I ordered the dvd. I just wish I hadn't. I don't want anyone else here to waste their time or money either.

Scott12

I was having a problem with rats in my garage so, I set a 110 bodygrip in a box. One evening my son was washing the dishes when he hears a cat going crazy. The next day my trap was gone. I should have stapled it to a 2x4 dang it.
Harvey7

Quote:
As an interesting side note the feral cat problem appears to have been resolved by the coyotes.

Unfortunatly, the Woodchucks have been "resolved" by the coyotes in my state too - they were thick as rats in a grain silo 10 years ago... now, hardly none /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Friends down on the south-east costal states say the same thing.

Quote:
Definition of "feral"- any cat more than 50 ft. from a house. Good shootin' everybody!

Add dog and perhaps a ... (fill in with a mammal).

Quote:what is on this page is illegal and needs to be reported. shooting even feral cats is against teh law in most States
....If you want to dig up history,,,the difference in current laws and customs is the evolution that has developed after the Colonies broke away from Merry Old England...

You have your way of approaching things and we have ours...Neither is necessarily better than the other, just what we will and will not accept...as individuals...

Shouldn't this post been under "Predator Hunting" and not "varmint Hunting"?....I know they a "pesky varmints"...but very much "PREDATOR"!...."Zap" them when you can!

Originally Posted By: RatzapperShouldn't this post been under "Predator Hunting" and not "varmint Hunting"?....I know they a "pesky varmints"...but very much "PREDATOR"!...."Zap" them when you can!

After 6 years, it makes no difference.

Posts by the antihunting trolls should just be ignored or reported as flamebaiting. You just add fuel to the fire and encourage them and their ilk to keep at it. The admins should recognize what is going on and remedy the offender.

Quote:I seriously don't think that he is from the UK! Sounds like a PITA Infiltrator...Actually, he probably is..His IP address comes back to the UK...Unless he's routed it through several servers, I think he was just expressing an opinion based on his laws...and possibly personal viewpoint..I'm just not sure he is aware of the difference between domestic and feral cats, as we know them...

This is an excerpt from an earlier post of mine, in case he didn't read the whole thread...
Quote:My wife and I owned/operated a B&B after I first retired and a neighbor had 17 cats hanging around (they denied owning more than 3). After a couple of the cats began attacking some of our customers, I started live trapping them, taking them across the river and giving them underwater swimming lessons. I must be a poor instructor as 13 of the 14 failed their underwater test.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldTurtle

"... I started live trapping them, taking them across the river and giving them underwater swimming lessons. I must be a poor instructor as 13 of the 14 failed their underwater test."

My first laugh of the day - thank you.

He made reference to 'spay, neuter, release' should control the cat population. That wa tried in a gated community in Florida(I believe) for 5 years. End result? NO reduction in cats or cat reproduction. Guess they couldn't keep up with the transients filling the void and reproducing. BEST solution is a morning,or, evening walk with your favorite small arms gun, and, or, one cat hatin' dog. That always brings the problem under control. Just think, with all that money saved? people could seek out another critter to save, say, rats, bats or skunks? Or, maybe, some of their personal friends, or, save the world - somehow.

A domestic cat is nothing more than a feral cat with the driving instinct to survive should it decide strike on its own, or, been tossed in the street. Never saw a cat that died of starvation. Many leech off human kind until a better deal presents itself. Most of my rancher/farmer buddies just chum the barn and it isn't long before they have allll of the free loading mousers they can stand. Thats when I get called.................................

I believe somebody here or on SnipersHide had a sig line that said, "Cats are God's version of ballistic gelatin". I love that phrase. Cats kill because they can. Your house cat would kill you in a heart beat if it weighed 90lbs. They kill for fun many times abandoning their kills uneaten once it ceases to provide them entertainment. Here's an interesting read on a bird study.
Bird Study

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYYour house cat would kill you in a heart beat if it weighed 90lbs.

There is a whole lotta truth in that statement.

It's best to take care of em when they are still around 4 pounds.

Funny thing when everyone starts in with the "they eat mice" thing. I'm sure they eat some. But on my farm I had I did all kinds of work on the fence rows to create buffers for the wildlife. I had 50 acres. I got up to 3 real nice coveys of quail. Loved to sit on the back deck and listen to them call each other. Well I had some cats show up. Thought heck they ain't hurting nothing. That's when I started finding quail and rabbits in my barn. Still had mice. So I bought some rat poision and hmr ammo. Both were money we'll spent!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sigprosFunny thing when everyone starts in with the "they eat mice" thing. I'm sure they eat some. But on my farm I had I did all kinds of work on the fence rows to create buffers for the wildlife. I had 50 acres. I got up to 3 real nice coveys of quail. Loved to sit on the back deck and listen to them call each other. Well I had some cats show up. Thought heck they ain't hurting nothing. That's when I started finding quail and rabbits in my barn. Still had mice. So I bought some rat poison and hmr ammo. Both were money we'll spent!

Why work hard for mice when they are such a paltry little snack, and quail and rabbits are so easy.

Back