Feral/Domestic Cats

The pail trap works great !
For bait..... a can of tuna, canned cat food, or sardines.
Too get your moneys worth from the bait. Just punch a few holes in the can with a can opener or screwdriver. This will keep the little critters ,like weasels , from eating for free!! LOL

Good luck........
Tim

Just be careful around pets and kids. Those 220's can do some damage. Also check your trapping regs. In most places, just setting a trap is considered trapping and will need a trapper's license.

Quote:
anybody ever eaten one?

Quote:
Every time we order Chinese take out from the "Peking Moon".

Next time the wife suggests Chinese food, I am going to say, "What? No way! The guys on PM are shooting feral cats and selling them to Chinese restaurants". Heh, Heh, that will be a fun one I'm looking forward to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. She thinks most of us are a little off of center anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Last edited:
It is also illegal to use the conibears on land in many places.
Also it will kill a dog or whatever gets in it.
Catching a troublesome cat in a coniber seems menial to us [outdoorsmen] but a catlover would see too it -if possible that you do -hard time.ME

everything everyone has pointed out to you about the 220 is true. They are lethal, maybe even dangerous and not legal in some places. Inside a garage should be safe enough. I just used that as that is what I had on hand when needed, but cats are not shy about going into an enclosed place, and a smaller 120 size would also probably work in a smaller size bucket or pc. of pvc pipe. There is no escape from these things for a cat. just remember the 3 s's, forget the shoot part.
Barry

Ok so it looks like nobody is going to answer the question about dining on them. Well I'll fess up and admit it. After building up a little liquid courage, a couple of buddies and myself decided that we'd take a bite of anything once, right? Well I will also admit that it will only be once too. I wasn't able to eat fried chicken for about a month afterwards. As far as any advice I have, DON'T DO IT.

Here in Florida, I believe there are far more cats than geriatrics and Canadians.

A couple of years ago, we had several around the house who liked to spray the door mats and kill the birds and such so I began the N.F.E.P. (Neighborhood Feline Eradication Program) here in my neighborhood. So far we have one member (me)and I have accounted for about ten felines.

Technique in a crowded area requires the utmost attention that even the most staunch of predator hunters would appreciate.

1. One must first evaluate when all of the neighbors are at work so that loud noises are not noticed as much.

2. One must then identify which cats belong to the neighbors (mind you, they go too but you have to be responsible and remember when you remove the neighbors cat for a cover story later).

3. One must determine the best method for removal that will result in maximum performance and the least amount of attention.

The wife found out about the first three that were eradicated through the use of .22 shorts and she was not amused. She insisted I purchase a Hav-A-Heart human catch and release trap. So I did.

But then the problem arose as to where I was going to release them. I mean, if I took them to another neighborhood and released them, it would be like dumping trash on someone's front lawn and that is not nice.

So, after much thought, I trapped the next one live and then shot it in the trap. I mean, although the wife did not find any humor in that either, she had to admit it was more humane than letting them run off and die under someone's house wounded. Women...

Anyway, to try to bring a long story to an end, I have rid the area of feral felines and nobody is the wiser. Also, for disposal purposes, I have found that if you bag them in a couple of bags and dump them in one of the neighbors garbage cans for pickup, it would help to remove your name from the a$$hole list if it is found by the garbage men.

HairyDog....Finally somebody has admitted to "eating one". I am wondering how you eradicated the animal, prepared it, and what you were marinated yourself in prior to consuming the feline. The thought comes to mind that maybe like deer and other meats they may need to be aged to perfection. What is the texture like and why would you advise not eating one? could it be any different then eating a mountain lion? I understand they are a white meat and pretty tender? Would a trapped animal be better then one that had been eaten a .22 short?

Paul

feral cats are a major problem by me...ive shot and trapped around 20 in 3 years all off 110 acres...the best method is a 160 conibear bucket set or a 22mag for those sweet field shots..good luck...they multiply so quick once u think uve made a dent theyre back in real numbers

Critter_GitteR.....To be honest with you, I think the main reason for dislike was just the thought. We were out getting some cottontails for a feast at the time we ran across it. We did shoot it in the head and cut off a rear leg to fry up with the rabbits. We used a beer batter for the rabbits so we just threw the leg in after the rabbits.
The taste was very tough and very gristlely. I am sure that there would be probably be a better way to prepare a cat if you were really interested in dining on it, but I just did it just to say that I have. Plus it [beeep] my girlfriend off when I ask her if we can eat her damn house cats.

I have also had great luck with the CCI .22 CB Long. Quiet and accurate. Made a head shot at 85yds with 'em. They are also great for dispatching live-trapped feral cats.

Seems to me the tone of this thread is the kind that gives support to the opposition. Im not normally on the topic but by chance looked in. Feral cats can be a problem to some feathered types as well as mice and voles and chipmunks - in my view a kind of mixed blessing. I wouldnt be without them but then I kind of like not having mouse traps set all over the house and finding mouse dirt in my cupboards and on my dishes. Also despite what Ive read my observations are that they are not as destructive of wildlife as some reports let on. That being said Im not against control of the population when control is indicated. I just dont think that rooting for drowning or hunting dog training and other tortuous methods of disposal is appropriate on a hunting forum or in any public venue. Humane disposal requires a quick and painless as possible method and being torn apart by a dog or slow death by drowning aint it.

I agree with uper. It's hard enough to convince people that hunting is a right we all should be able to enjoy without topics like this clouding the water. I can just see some CNN reporter right now reading on the air how hunters shoot peoples pet cats and bait them into their garages where they're decapitated by traps. Like uper said, I completely understand eradicating a few "feral" (which means wild, not just your neighbors pet that craps in your yard) cats in an ethical and humane way. I just fail to see how you can justify catching an animal in a live trap and drowning it in a creek. Maybe I'm just too soft.

When you have 14 feral cats living in the immediate area under a house going through "demolition by neglect", the owners of the house claim they don't own the cats, and they are degrading your business, you will get more hard hearted.
City ordinances prohibit shooting them, drowning is more humane and specific IMHO than putting out poison, or kicking them out in the country for others to have to deal with...or starve to death as the floods in '93 had wiped out most of their natural prey.

Perhaps some of the cRat lovers would like to come and pick up the dead rabbits, songbirds and cRat crap out of my yard and garden. I had to go out in the cold/snow and wash the siding and foundation of my house this winter, since a cRat decided to kill a cottontail in my yard. There was a bloody mess all over the place. Try explaining that you had no part in the slaughter to someone passing by. MI VHNTR

I was hoping that this part of the topic wasn't going to come up....The part were the conservative side of varminters was expressed verses that of the liberal varminter.

I believe any population that is not indiginous to its invironment should be controlled. If that population is the Cat population which is let to roam by the owners and then breeds domestic cats into the urban/rural environment then by all means control them.

If somebodies pet mouse collection got loose and was causing havoc on my infastruction, I wouldn't stop eradicating them either. Nobody seems to have a problem when a pack of feral dogs is taken out of population. Is that due to threat of human injury?

What ever the case maybe I opened this post as means for fellow varminters to help discuss the problem of being over run by cats and what an effective way to solve the problem would be. Granted, I hate cats and feel that if I am to spend $10,000 for fencing to keep my dogs on my property, the towns ppl should be able to keep there cats in kennels or keep them inside, otherwise they may meet up with some of the suggestions in here.

I love the idea of the 120/220 bodygripper with a bucket set....... By all means let the cat stories fly....

For some reason they don't land on thier feet after a good load of 00 buck....

Paul

Wanna cat story? Here goes:

Seems local stray was acting really funny out on the local courthouse lawn one morning. Really funny... as in sick or something. So, someone called animal control. Just as the animal control guy (actually a woman then) shows up, some ninny woman tries to catch the cat.

The cat goes nuts, starts hissing and scratching at the woman, then chasing her, and danged near getting her, too.

This (understandably) starts drawing a crowd REALLY fast and starts making folks very nervous (rabies is prevalent 'round here).

So, the AC lady decides to shoot the cat rather than try to catch it. She runs up to the cat, draws and "click". Miss-fire and a jam.

Well, before the cat can figure out what's going on, one of the local defense attorneys who happened to be walking by and very nonchalant at that, reaches behind his back, draws a Glock 19, and BLAM! One dead cat; right on the courthouse lawn. Said attorney just continues on his way to his office across the street, and the AC woman picks up the remains.

Couldn't do an exam for rabies though... the JHP from that nine pretty much removed any of the "testing" material in the cranial region.

Back