Feral/Domestic Cats

Yeah, and that would have been the last, well... no... the next to last local attorney that I would have ever have expected to have been carrying and esp. to have popped that nutso feline.

There's one other that, well... we won't go there.

Me? I'd have done the same thing... only with a .45... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paul, Before they moved the houses in front there, I used to shoot them cats with a bow. Now your back drop is all housed up dont know what to shoot them with guess your gonna have to trap them.
we have a buddy who might have some traps for you to try or could set them up for you. He just gave me a fox trap to send to TN for a youngman. Trapping is legal on your property and as long as your not selling fur your ok. And on the subject of bait, I hear duck works well in your neighborhood.

Mike

Well young Jedi I guess a crossbow and three dozen duck decoys should be able to attrack them then....silly me, I should have remembered that. do you think a duck decoy and a bodygripper would work. LOL I was wondering if maybe Mike had a 120/220 handy. And, yes, duck seems to work all too well when fresh.

Paul

I'll give him a call and see what we he can come up with. I think I have a breast in the frezer and maybe some wings for ya. I dont want to use up any of that good tastn koot though so we got to use up the other stuff, haha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mike

Quote:
I'm sure some folks have eaten them... We had a bunch of orientals open a new restaurant in the city where I used to work and the health department, following up on a complaint, found several cat remains in the dumpster.. It was never determined if a competitor put them there or if they were actually part of the menu.
My wife and I owned/operated a B&B after I first retired and a neighbor had 17 cats hanging around (they denied owning more than 3). After a couple of the cats began attacking some of our customers, I started live trapping them, taking them across the river and giving them underwater swimming lessons. I must be a poor instructor as 13 of the 14 failed their underwater test.

I must be a better teacher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Mine kept bobbing back up after I introduced them to dock diving.
Seeing as how they seemed such fine swimmers already I moved them up to the high dive. Unforunatlty I may have overestemated the depth of the water and underestemated the minumum depth necessary for a cat to stop after a 25-30 ft jump from an overpass on the river. {Note: All cats participating jumped and were not thrown(due to likley hood of being bitten) making their resluting deaths sucidial in nature preventing legal repremands to said instructor}

I can vouch for the coniber being a kitty killer. Got a quite a few courious cats in my coon sets over the years. One caution on the bucket sets, keep them off the ground. Cats climb well but dogs don't. The trap don't know the difference.

SOR

We were out fox hunting one night, and all of the sudden ,a fox pops up about 150 yards out, on a dirt road running through the field. So i get on the call, and this fox is acting real wierd. Its just sitting there, watching. So i called for about 25 minutes, and finally it disappears. I keep calling and all the sudden, i can see eyes come up from a dip, now mind you alls i can see is ears and eyes. I whispered, is that a fox? his response- Nope. BLAM. #4 buck to the top of the cats head is not pretty.

at this same place, the cats are really overrun, so the guy that lives there got an idea. he learned that if he found some younger cats, they would follow him around. So where a car would start coming, hed stand in the middle of the road, and run across at the last second. you get the idea. Kitties should NEVER play tag with pickups.

one more.

ill make it short and sweet. sometimes people mistake cats for groundhogs at 300 yards. Sometimes .22-250 55 gr v maxs do remarkable damage to groundhogs. Sometimes people make mistakes.

Years ago when I still lived at home, my dad got tired of cats polluting the windowbox outside his bedroom window and started trapping them and turning them over to AC.

After awhile, he quit borrowing the AC trap and got his own. He kept track for awhile, but finally lost count around 30 or so.

Not only are they bad for birds and small rodents, they are also hard on the small reptile population (geckos, anoles) and will kill virtually any small critters that move. And unlike a predator that is sustained by the prey population (and is therefore dependent on the prey population) they can hunt their prey into extinction.

Normally a predator population wanes when their prey concentration falls. That keeps things in balance. Since cats are often (usually) fed by well-meaning but misguided people, their numbers do not wane and they stay strong and healthy even when the prey population is very small.

Furthermore, they often carry diseases which, although are rarely contagious to humans, can be deadly to pet cats.

I own a cat, but since it's a pet, it lives inside.

If it were purely up to me I'd permanently dispose of every cat I could find on my property.

Strangely enough I was out calling the other day and happened to call in this feral cat. The cat ran to with in 51 paces and picked his head up to sniff the air..(and make me a great target on his head) I caught this cat right between the lookers with a .17HMR. I was about 3 miles from the nearest house and began blowing the Ki-Yi. The first series of sounds had not even finished when this feline charged in.

DSC01531copy.jpg

Last edited:
From the local news....

Feral Cat Rabies Incident

On Sunday, April 9, 2006, a calico cat (black, cream, and yellowish markings) located in the Burt Dam area of Fisherman’s Park in Newfane, NY was confirmed positive for Rabies. This cat, a member of a maintained colony of unvaccinated feral cats, was submitted to the New York State Department of Health Wadsworth Laboratory after over a week of exhibiting abnormal behavior. If anyone believes he or she has had contact with this cat any time from March 17 through April 5, notify the Niagara County Department of Health Nursing Division Communicable Disease Control Program at 716-439-7456 (business hours) or 716-439-7430, to determine whether an exposure has occurred.

Rabies is a virus that affects the central nervous system and is fatal if allowed to incubate. Timely treatment with post-exposure prophylaxis, however, is 100% effective. This incident serves as a reminder that rabies (raccoon and bat) is found in Western New York and illustrates the importance of mandatory dog, cat, and ferret Rabies vaccinations. Residents should avoid feeding and any other contact with wild animals and feral cats. If anyone is bitten or scratched by any animal, or if a bat is found in close proximity to a child or a person who is sleeping or intoxicated, they should contact their health care provider and the Niagara County Department of Health. For information on animal rabies and animal rabies vaccination, contact the Niagara County Department of Health Environmental Division Rabies Control Program at 716-439-7511 (business hours) or 716-439-7430. (4/12/06)

Hey that was my cat I know cause his eye was like that my kids call him Pop-eye.
lachen.gif

be careful he like to pee in cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Has anyone seen that video feral cat hunt?, I ordered it from the link above. Don't waste your time or money. It is only 24 minutes long and they shoot at only one cat. 3 or 4 shots with a Ruger 10/22. They hunt in South Dakota. Nice attempt at a video production.

Scott

I have not seen the video. I was hoping that someone had. Thanks for letting me know that its not worth the time or the money. I think from reading the site that it's more a publicity stunt then a good how-to video. Paul

Critter Gitter,

Good Call on that one, don't waste your money guys. If someone wants the copy I have on DVD, They are welcome to it. The video is far from a how-to on varmint hunting, it is more of a what to bring with you and safety guide when you go hunting. My copy is up for grabs: Feral Cat Hunt:
Free to good home.

Scott12

Quote:
Has anyone seen that video feral cat hunt?, I ordered it from the link above. Don't waste your time or money. It is only 24 minutes long and they shoot at only one cat. 3 or 4 shots with a Ruger 10/22. They hunt in South Dakota. Nice attempt at a video production.

Scott

Whoops - too late, it came a few days ago.
I haven't had a chance to look at yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cat Shooter,

Sorry, didn't mean to spoil it for anyone. Just not worth anybody's hard earned $$. When you do get a chance to view it, only takes 24 min, you will see what I mean. It is unlike any video I have seen before. JUNK !!

Scott12

Hey guys I didn't mean to endorse the cat video. I hadn't seen it, I just thought the idea of a guided kitty cat hunt pretty entertaining.

Back