Eastern Coyote/ Western Coyote

edit:
glad you liked the video, happy!

here's some 'out west' coyotes for ya, a good day from three weeks ago...

OPHA2011067.jpg

Last edited:
like i said your great if your killing more than 5 every year your doing better than 90% of pa hunters...

guess we are all just terrible hunters....lol...

any decent caller can kill coyotes where their is a abundance
of them...like i said i called 2 in near the NY. boarder 5 hours apart...

nice video

Last edited:
even though your in NY.

trust me there's guys out west that kill in a day what you kill all year...your only fooling yourself...

Enjoying the silence until you come up with some more nonsense

nope done with this post for certain so i wont see if you post save your trigger finger...seems you need it up there...

lol..this board needs a ignore user setting...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LKVLWhat about the coyotes themselves.What makes them different?

As was already stated, there are coy-wolf hybrids, esp in the northeast. Also I THINK there may be more color phases in the east, black, reds, and blonds.

Originally Posted By: LKVLDo you think the coyotes with wolf blood in them act differently than the ones without?

they need a silver bullet!
thumbup1.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: LKVLDo you think the coyotes with wolf blood in them act differently than the ones without?

I don't believe so, but have heard some interesting theory's though.

Originally Posted By: happyyoterlike i said your great if your killing more than 5 every year your doing better than 90% of pa hunters...

Wiley E has so many hiding spots in Penns Woods - it is no comparison to the open plains country of the west.

I'm not saying the Western Yote Hunters are not accomplished at what they do,

but I'm not impressed with shooting dogs from the comforts of a truck-mounted luxury sky box, the practive reminds me of the baited-bear hunts in Canada. If it floats your boat - all the power to you.

I recall shooting Pronghorns from the back of a pickup in Roy,NM.
Fun?? - Heck Ya!!
Sporting?
I really wasn't into hunting back then, my boss entered me in a lottery and my name was drawn - so I got a free trip to NE NM with him. Great party at the Ranch that weekend.. I impressed the heck out of a few cowgirls with my hero shot from that F150...
thumbup1.gif

An article about Pennsylvania coyote hunting..

Coyote hunters booming in Pennsylvania

Course you could say you can't always believe what you read in the newspaper.

While doing the google search I came across another link that showed the results of a PA coyote hunt. 193 hunters got 19 coyotes. Also, a PGC representative said that there were far more than the 25,000 - 30,000 coyotes once thought to be in PA.

talk about bad numbers in 2007 they have estimate 30k coyotes in PA. for the last 5 years, if hunters and trappers took 28,974 in 2007 that didnt leave much...

i know what hunter and trapper numbers are trappers...10 to 15..
in my area....and from watching predator hunting boards across PA. the last 10 years callers average about 2 a year...

if there so elusive....we should have as many as the west...

also the pgc hasnt a clue...there main animal is the deer...and they dont know how many of them they have...they had to shut doe hunting down in a few units because they mismanaged the herd and sold far to many doe tags in areas...and hunters did not cut a track for 3 or 4 days...

Four pages later, coyotes are still coyotes.

That means they can be called in & killed, regardless of what state they live in.

To keep wading through arbitrary numbers comparing one state to the next, is to quibble over semantics.

Forget states & look at it this way:

All ya need to do is find where ONE coyote lives.
(this is the biggest challenge to coyote hunting, EAST OR WEST)
Set up 'right' and make the 'right' sounds, and odds are he's gonna come to the call.

IF...that coyote doesn't come in to your setup:

ONE: you can blame that ONE coyote because he didn't feel like it.

OR...

B: you can blame yourself because that coyote WOULD HAVE COME, but you screwed up the stand somehow.

But passing the buck on a lack of one's success because of how many coyotes don't reside in that state is absurd...

Same target different environment...The east has alot of BS involved in killing coyotes. Get past all that and you'll find a coyote is a coyote.

an eastern hunter needs Lots of land..hunting the same piece of land over and over again is the #1 mistake in the east... They heard you the first time! if you did your part you will kill a coyote the first or second time in. after that move on find more land/fresh ears.

Evan low density states have areas that have a high coyote density..find the Hotspots and make good sets.

Last edited:
Coming onto this thread late....

I have gone several SEASONS here in NJ without seeing a coyote.

This is compared to my one hunt out west, near Gainesville, Texas. Within the first 30 minutes of the hunt I had two called and one killed. If I would have had more experience, I would have kept calling, and maybe my partner could have killed the mate which was still hanging around unbeknownst to us at first.

My point? I do believe there are valid reasons why we see/kill fewer coyotes here than are killed out west. What those reasons are is anyone's guess. I have my own opinions on this issue. I don't think even biologists can tell us for sure. But I think some of the reasons mentioned above...coyote density, food availability, human interaction, cover, and maybe even Darwinism all have an effect on coyote hunting.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerSame target different environment...The east has alot of BS involved in killing coyotes. Get past all that and you'll find a coyote is a coyote.

an eastern hunter needs Lots of land..hunting the same piece of land over and over again is the #1 mistake in the east...They heard you the first time! if you did your part you will kill a coyote the first or second time in. after that move on find more land/fresh ears Evan low density states have areas that have a high coyote density..find the Hotspots and make good sets.

spoken like a man with a plan!

swamp whats your yearly average, and your in one of the best areas of the East...northern PA. is great also..
most WV. boys on here will tell you 5 is a good year also..you did hit the nail on the head its the land here...most posted...cant get into setups right etc...and very small lots that are huntable...but there hunters in PA.
that eat ..sleep..and think nothin but coyote and are eluded 95% of the time....we used a siren last night custom made runs off a 12v amp i dont know how spots we hit...but nothing
also we can kill 6 month old pups in small game season pretty easy...
by the time fur season comes in...our fur has been spotted by families lookin for deer and burn fox till there in the woods 50 yards...coyotes you cant keep them in the spotlight there zig zagging everywhere...

then comes deer season...we have a good estimate due to license sales are accountable...of 650k gun hunters in the woods the first day...many get coyotes..not a lot but many..it keeps the population low...and with 650k hunters after deer season a coyote knows what a human is...

650k hunters puts a hunter every 250 yards or so...that first day..lol..its called the orange army...

i didnt hunt real hard last year only got 1 yote called in 4..1 friend got one and 2 no shooters...called 5 bobcats in took 1 nice one...fox numbers are low also...got everyone i called in...

this year already i got 1.5 coyote...shot 1...and it was a double shot the second with a 223..placed the shot well but we were in a small public hunting area and it went 40 yards in a swell and buddy dropped it with a 308...

going to start day hunting again i did do better in the daytime..

but no matter what PA. numbers are about 5 coyotes a year of good hunting...

And like i said i know guys who get 1 a year here and kill 3 to 5 in a few days in western state..there has to be way more coyotes...to kill 3 or 5 in territory that is far more vastly open ..less urbanization...would be harder to locate them there...but there finding them easy...so i would assume they have many more...

here you can pinpoint them..in deer season they move near the houses..once the orange army leaves the woods they head back out to the little farmland we have...

im 35 miles from a shotgun..rimfire only area..which it will soon be that way here...due to houses going up...

no doubt there the same animal...numbers mean a lot...the more there is the better chance 1 will slip up for that 3 seconds to feed it the lead pill...

Originally Posted By: happyyoterswamp whats your yearly average, and your in one of the best areas of the East...northern PA. is great also..
most WV. boys on here will tell you 5 is a good year also..you did hit the nail on the head its the land here...most posted...cant get into setups right etc...and very small lots that are huntable...but there hunters in PA.
that eat ..sleep..and think nothin but coyote and are eluded 95% of the time....we used a siren last night custom made runs off a 12v amp i dont know how spots we hit...but nothing
also we can kill 6 month old pups in small game season pretty easy...
by the time fur season comes in...our fur has been spotted by families lookin for deer and burn fox till there in the woods 50 yards...coyotes you cant keep them in the spotlight there zig zagging everywhere...

then comes deer season...we have a good estimate due to license sales are accountable...of 650k gun hunters in the woods the first day...many get coyotes..not a lot but many..it keeps the population low...and with 650k hunters after deer season a coyote knows what a human is...

650k hunters puts a hunter every 250 yards or so...that first day..lol..its called the orange army...

i didnt hunt real hard last year only got 1 yote called in 4..1 friend got one and 2 no shooters...called 5 bobcats in took 1 nice one...fox numbers are low also...got everyone i called in...

this year already i got 1.5 coyote...shot 1...and it was a double shot the second with a 223..placed the shot well but we were in a small public hunting area and it went 40 yards in a swell and buddy dropped it with a 308...

going to start day hunting again i did do better in the daytime..

but no matter what PA. numbers are about 5 coyotes a year of good hunting...

And like i said i know guys who get 1 a year here and kill 3 to 5 in a few days in western state..there has to be way more coyotes...to kill 3 or 5 in territory that is far more vastly open ..less urbanization...would be harder to locate them there...but there finding them easy...so i would assume they have many more...

here you can pinpoint them..in deer season they move near the houses..once the orange army leaves the woods they head back out to the little farmland we have...

im 35 miles from a shotgun..rimfire only area..which it will soon be that way here...due to houses going up...

no doubt there the same animal...numbers mean a lot...the more there is the better chance 1 will slip up for that 3 seconds to feed it the lead pill...

Happyyoter, I hear you on the numbers..it does make it more difficult. But believe me, the county I live in has a human population density of 440 per square miles. Thats pretty dense anywhere...also Orange county gets POUNDED by NYC hunters. I use to hate the amount of people but actually like it now. people make great habitat for coyotes and feed them with roadkill, gutpiles and pets throughout the year.

If you want to kill coyotes in the east you have to have lots of good land that draws and holds coyotes. If they hear the call and you're set-up properly they're going to come in. If they bust you, they probably wont come in the rest of the season. This has been my experience with them.. hit a spot move to the next then the next.. If things get botched its not a big deal because the next time out will have fresh ears.. numbers and set to call ratios will sky rocket beyond belief if you find them, hunt only fresh spots and make bulletproof setups. my calling partner and I have a %75 set to call in ratio.. 5 yrs ago I would of thought that to be totally impossible.

Originally Posted By: drscottNothing, Coyote is a coyote. I have lived in the east, mid west, and the south, as well as Texas and NM. I think what makes it more difficult for people back east is lower population densities and heavy cover. They respond to the same things in all areas, just in heavy cover you are getting busted and not even knowing it. Out west in many of the places I call even if they circle to get the wind I can see them coming and usually get them killed. Calling in the thick brush and wooded areas here in NM is every bit as tough as calling back east. That said when I want to just go call and kill dogs I go were my success is much better and that is down on the desert lots more dogs and better visibility. When I spend a day on the desert I may cover over 100 miles of dirt road. That is a lot of country to call in. In Alabama when I called there I had a few deer leases to call that probably totaled 4000 acres, the same in Iowa. It doesn't take but a few calls to cover these smaller areas. So I think the biggest contributor to calling success is having access to lots of country.

drscott

Wrong,Eastern coyotes are a different species than Western coyotes because they carry wolf DNA.It's a fact do some research and you'll see.....or not.
wink.gif

http://www.projectcoyote.org/newsreleases/news_eastern.html

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/

Back