Eastern Coyote/ Western Coyote

Originally Posted By: lon0121Originally Posted By: LKVLYou can have that in any group of coyotes reguardless of where you're at.

I dont care what anybody says, from what i have read and have been told, there are more coyotes out west, they are more vocal.

in the east they take advantage of the thickness being sneaky. sometimes the coyote wont even come to the call until after dark if its an evening stand here. I have also called to them in a field and they were very nervous walking the tree line the whole time. A coyote out west is used to being called into the open and a critter in the east takes advantage of his concealment!

Are you saying that the western states are all open?
I've seen some real think stuff to hunt in the states that I've been through.
I've called coyotes in the west,south west, southern states,midwest and alaska. Seen high population and low populations. I've also seen low populations in areas where you would think there would be alot coyotes. I've seen how they come into the calls.

Still doesn't make the different.

no no man,

im not saying they are all open, but alot of the areas are. i know in some parts of the west its very thick! almost and sometimes IS just as hard to hunt them as it is in the south and southeast. I have in fact heard on a few occasion that for some reason they are more vocal. i also believe they adapt to thier enviroments. example would be the open areas, they may adapt to hunt and take shelter in the open areas, if thats all they had. as to the east and yes even in the west, they would adapt to the parts that have major foilage. making the more sneaky.
so in a way the western coyote is no different than its eastern brother, in a nutshell it will adapt to ANY enviroment and learn to hunt, and live in the terrain provided. thats my opinion.

Originally Posted By: LKVLYou got it.......

lol
I never been one to say, "if i were out west i could get the coyotes to come in"

i just try to learn from what im allowed to hunt. that is the thick hills of ky. I do believe there are an abundance of more coyote towards west though.
I can speak for my area and say with great certainty that the coyote here are very timid. I have a few places to hunt but we have had some realy wet weather with melting snow and my little car would get stuck in the mud along the entrance to the farm. So we will see with the new lease i just got.

It would be nice to see some of these well named video makers to come to the east and make some coyote videos and explain to us. Some things on what they would do in some of our terrain.

i think the fact that we have good hunters here in the east that kill 1 or 2 in a year, then goes west and kills 2 or 3 in a few days says a lot about our coyotes. Our yotes have plenty of food, and do not need to come to distress sounds so much, also calling pressure we have farms here and there and cities and towns, when you think your hitting a good spot , someone may have called it the day before. And many areas are so small its hard to get the wind to cooperate.

there was a good article in a past predator extreme magazine on eastern coyotes that summed it up well....

baiting will produce more consistent kills than calling is somewhat what it said...

Last edited:
So what did our NY deer breed with to make them bigger than TX deer? Just a rhetorical question there to get your wheels turnin'...

There's LOTS of factors that dictate a caller's success here in the northeast, prolly the LEAST of which is the animal itself.
Sure, our locals are bigger and act somewhat differently, but eastern coyotes are just as callable & killable as any 'out west'. Sorry to break it to ya, guys...

eastern coyotes are just as callable & killable as any 'out west'. Sorry to break it to ya, guys...

how many eastern coyote movies you should make .....you would be rich...how many times have you seen 5 eastern coyotes come into a stand?

I don't buy into the thought? Coyotes behave differently in different geographical regions.

Say for example a 50 square mile area has a low coyote pop. Say there are 4 adult pairs in that 50 square miles. Each having a territory of 10 square miles[play along here :)]. This same general area also has a good prey base.

Due to the fact of the lower pop in that general area & a good prey base. A caller's[noise] would have to be within earshot of a local coyote at that given time frame. In order to even get its attention.

Even if a local coyote hears your call. Does not mean they will respond. Anyone who claims every coyote within ear shot will respond. Has never seen one that wouldn't.

Next, on any given day or night. A hunter tries their hand trying to call one in. But comes up empty. Why do you suppose that is? Well, it would have to do with what I just remarked above.

Ask yourself, when was the last or 1st time for that matter. You killed a starving coyote.

Since I joined this site. I have no doubt in my mind. Some callers are seen & or heard. Before they ever even get to their stand. Hey guess what? Game over.

I have no doubt in my mind. Some callers are seen & or heard. Before they ever even get to their stand. Hey guess what? Game over.

your right....

but we have far less or you would see plenty of eastern coyote hunt movies...

my friend hunts kansas for deer he sees them all the time, he has not seen a PA. coyote in 30 years of being in a treestand....and has killed record book bucks....

its the numbers we just dont have as many...

nowhere near...and the fact that hunters who never kill them here kill numerous ones in a few days out there...and come home and say its a lot easier, and many more...

im certain theres hunters here who have hunted PA. then went out west....

We have a PA. guy who placed in the predator masters calling event or worlds i think...maybe 2 guys...that placed and theve probably not killed 3 coyotes in PA. ...where they live i think there is even less...where there from...they kill fox though...also like i said many calling properties in the east are small...and are the only huntable properties because of urbanization...so other hunters called it im certain..

i turn my inside lights out in the vehicle...i dont shut any doors if you turn a foxpro to 15 or 18 one of the farmers dogs bark...and your right busted....

also we have a lot of disease in our coyotes ...they just took samples at the hunt over the weekend waiting to see the
results...past hunts and local studies found bad cases of worms...lyme disease and a lot more in our coyotes...

but again its the numbers...and pressure i have seen 5 riding in a vehicle and im 49.....most people from PA. have never seen a coyote in this state...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: happyyoterhow many eastern coyote movies you should make .....you would be rich...how many times have you seen 5 eastern coyotes come into a stand?

To be perfectly honest with you, twice in the last 5 years. And those were daytime stands. I surely do wish I had a camera man!
Heck, the last coyote I killed here at night was one of three that showed up. If'n I wasn't packing a .22mag (during open deer season), might coulda popped a 2nd one there at about 175yds. The 1st one died at 80...

May I ask you a question now, sir?
How many westerns states have you predator hunted in to base your musings & draw your comparisons, from one to the other?

Seems like there's ALOT of assumptions always throw around in the 'east vs. west' debates, but not a heckuva lot of hunters who've actually SEEN it for themselves, firsthand.
For instance, the notion that our eastern coyotes aren't as vocal as western coyotes. I can tell that, from my limited experience hunting coyotes out west (9 different states), our NY coyotes are prolly THE most obnoxiously loud & 'howly' coyotes I've ever heard (specifically, after the Sun goes down)...

The more I hunt out west, the more I can see how 'callable' our coyotes are. I'll state again that the reason(s) callers aren't racking in the #s here in the east is NOT because the animal is soooo different, rather other mitigating circumstances that were briefly touched upon prior. Not the least of which are land access, coyote densities, urban sprawl, negative human interactions, etc.
I can assure you that our coyotes here in the east can be called without magic sounds, potions, setups, or otherwise. And regardless of longitude, sometimes they just ain't gonna come to ANY call, no matter what! When someone figures out WHY that is, then I'll be all ears...

i killed 2 in one day 5 hours apart near NY. on the McKean county line....

off the same stump with a wood rabbit distress call...

my nephew I seen coyotes there every year...he has seen one pup down here in the far southwest coroner of PA. his whole life. Deer hunting....i have killed 9 coyotes here in 14 years...and called in a few more....

one of the first coyotes ever killed in my area was about 25 years ago...

does that help, not being smart,you got totally different terrain...far more open ground for coyotes to survive.

my buddy moved to Virginia he isn't seeing anymore than this part of PA.

Many here have never seen a dead one along the road....theres harly any that ever get hit by cars

Last edited:
It comes down to population density and pressure. If the dogs are educated then they are hard to call in...just a lot more coyotes in the Western Part of the country than in NY...simple as that

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: knockemdown
Seems like there's ALOT of assumptions always throw around in the 'east vs. west' debates, but not a heckuva lot of hunters who've actually SEEN it for themselves, firsthand.
For instance, the notion that our eastern coyotes aren't as vocal as western coyotes. I can tell that, from my limited experience hunting coyotes out west (9 different states), our NY coyotes are prolly THE most obnoxiously loud & 'howly' coyotes I've ever heard (specifically, after the Sun goes down)...

No assumptions here kid. I've hunted them out west and most of Pennsylvania and have seen it first hand. There is no comparison, like comparing bluegill fishing with worms to tuna fishing in Iowa. I've never hunted NY, so maybe you got the short bus variety. The coyotes in PA are nowhere near as vocal as in the west where I've hunted.

Quote:I can assure you that our coyotes here in the east can be called without magic sounds, potions, setups, or otherwise. And regardless of longitude, sometimes they just ain't gonna come to ANY call, no matter what!

I haven't tried magic yet...

Quote: When someone figures out WHY that is, then I'll be all ears...

I doubt that, you've got it all figured out!

rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

I've watched hundred & hundreds of Iowa coyotes & Red Fox on the hunt. Here on central Iowa's open foothills. Other than when traveling from one down-wind area to the next. If/when they do [hear] or scent something. That peaks their interest to their "up-wind".

They will [most often] casually walk to the nearest ridgeline. To peer over. As they peer over the ridgeline. They expose very little of themselves. Just enough to see is all.

Say your in a hilly timbered area. Et even if a coyote does come to check out your call noise. [Most] will only expose their eyes above the ridgeline. As they scan their up-wind area over the ridgeline.

Majority of the ones I've watched. Spend very little time there. Most often just a few seconds. Before dropping back down over the ridge[from where they came from] & moved on.

That is one explanation, why some hunters rarely see one. Even if they did call one. Keep your eyes on the ridgelines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kirbyI've watched hundred & hundreds of Iowa coyotes & Red Fox on the hunt. Here on central Iowa's open foothills. Other than when traveling from one down-wind area to the next. If/when they do here or scent something. That peaks their interest to their "up-wind".

They will [most often] casually walk to the nearest ridgeline. To peer over. As they peer over the ridgeline. They expose very little of themselves. Just enough to see is all.

Say your in a hilly timbered area. Et even if a coyote does come to check out your call noise. [Most] will only expose their eyes above the ridgeline. As they scan their up-wind area over the ridgeline.

Majority of the ones I've watched. Spend very little time there. Most often just a few seconds. Before dropping back down over the ridge[from where they came from] & moved on.

That is one explanation, why some hunters rarely see one. Even if they did call one. Keep your eyes on the ridgelines.

well said kirby!

Originally Posted By: smilinIBNo assumptions here kid. I've hunted them out west and most of Pennsylvania and have seen it first hand.
I'm sorry sir, but 'out west' doesn't tell me much. Specifically, which states have you coyote hunted 'out west' in?
And how often do you coyote hunt 'out west'?
And I'm not speaking about a big game hunt where you made a couple stands at mid day, I'm asking about dedicated coyote hunting trips.

These specific question allow you the opportunity to qualify your statements with fact, not generalities. Otherwise, it's obvious that you are just regurgitating 2nd hand interweb mis-information.

Same questions again to you, happy?
Same questions to you, NY Yote 28?

As for NY vs. PA coyotes, smilin': are you now offering that even PA coyotes are somehow different than NY coyotes?

REALLY???

seriously???

This is complete & utter nonsense.

How can an invisible, geographical boundary line between states dictate how hard a coyote is to call/kill?

Why is it that everytime this 'east vs. west' topic pops up does the idea that one hunter's coyotes are so hard to call, but another hunter who is successful is somehow killing coyotes that are easy to call?

Terrain is terrain. Big woods, small woodlots, farm land, state land, creek bottoms, lakeside ridges...a savvy hunter will adapt & deal with terrain & conditions accordingly. A really smart hunter will only hunt in those areas deemed to offer a higher percentage of success. Make sense?

I'll ask another question:
What makes a coyote living in the big woods of NY act any differently than one living in the big woods of PA? Or SE Missouri, for that matter?

I say again: It's still basically the SAME ANIMAL we are hunting!
Sure, ya need to modify your tactics somewhat, but a coyote is a coyote is a coyote, is a coyote. Don't get so wrapped around the axle about nonsense stating otherwise...

The basic principle of coyote calling is to make it EASY for the coyote to want to approach your stand.
Being able to recognize an EASY spot to set up is paramount to successful calling ANYWHERE in the country.

Those who constantly complain about how hard their coyotes are to kill are using that as an excuse to rationalize their lack of success to others.

NO more, no less.

Just because one hunter can't identify those EASY areas & execute a plan to get a coyote killed doesn't mean that someone, somewhere close by can't do exactly that...

Does this make ANY sense at all to ANYONE here?

Back