Coyote Offseason???

Again, the majority of fawns are weaned by this time (just not all). Most hunters (again, not all) wait and take their does after they have "buck hunted" for a week or 2. For some reason these guys think shooting a doe will "mess up the bucks".

Normally, you like to get the deer off the range as early as possible. It does not make a lot of sense to let a deer that you are going to shoot anyway, eat the available browse for a month or longer than necessary. By harvesting you does early, you leave more forage for the deer that you are going to be leaving.

It is hard enough to get some guys to shoot a doe (which HAS to be done if you want to properly manage a deer herd), without them waiting until december and noticing the fetuses when they gut the deer. The does are usually bred no matter when they kill them during the general season, but something about seeing those fetuses turns off a guy that really didn't want to kill a doe anyway.

Thanks, YH. So it seems there is only a very small window of time when a doe is neither lactating or pregnant. At least, that's true across the southern part of the country.
Thanks for the education. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

(DocCoyote, sorry about sidetracking your thread)

Where I do believe a guy has a right to hunt coyotes for whatever reason he sees fit within the law,I also believe it is truly irresponsible for a "SPORTSMAN" and I use that term lightly, to call and kill coyotes during the denning season.If you want to hunt them in the summer fine but at least wait until the pups are old enough to survive on there own(mid to late summer).ADC is a different story.That's a job that has to be done sometimes but all the guys I know that target specific coyotes(older) will find the den and take care of the pups too,so they don't have to suffer a horrible death.Justify it as you may it's all about ethics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifPlain and simple.Good Hunting Chad

Last edited:
Quote:
it's all about ethics. Plain and simple.

Nothing plain and simple about hunting ethics.

Here are several practices that are thought "ethical" by some and not by others to illustrate my point.

1. Baiting
2. Decoys (live, motorized, or otherwise)
3. Hunting with dogs
4. Hunting behind high fences
5. Using electronic calls
6. Hunting in Summer
7. Shooting Ducks on the water (or sitting doves)
8. Hunting at night
9. Hunting from a vehicle
10. Hunting with no intent to use animal being hunted (crows, coyotes, or anything else).

The above are either legal or illegal depending on what state you are in, and whether or not they are ethical may vary greatly depending on who you talk to.

Last edited:
YH,

You are correct with the word Ethical. It means different things to different people.Maybe the better word is IRRESPONSIBLE.The things you listed above are ethical issues,but killing coyotes and leaving the pups to starve is very IRRESPONSIBLE.Like shooting a duck on the the water=could be ethical to some,unethical to others.But killing a mother duck on the water and leaving the ducklings to die=Very irresponsible.Good Hunting Chad

YH, i sure as hell dont want the season changed, that was merely a response to NASA as to why the season is the same in texas as it is in the northern states. U know way more about this than i do, so i am not saying it should be changed, just that its odd that the seasons are the same here, though the graph does explain the states reasoning. On the other managment stuff, your are 100% correct, why people dont take does early in season i have never figured out...I sure need the meat by then anyways. If people ever figured out that to get a quality buck herd you have to kill does as well, then we might be on to something good for a change.

Actually less is usually better at the time when it comes to wildlife as long as the variables that said wildlife needs are in good condition. Because at that point the environment allows the animals to raise more young and you will start to see more young being born to each individual.
If you knock the coyotes hard one year the following year you may go from 4 pups per den to 12 pups per den, which means a whole hell of a lot of uneducated coyotes when fur season comes

utahcoyote,

You are correct with regards to the fluxuation of coyote numbers from year to year.But if guys are killing the adults during the spring denning season,it really doesn't matter if there are 4 pups or 12 pups in the den odds are they're not going to survive, to hunt them in the fall.Good Hunting Chad

It's a tough world out there. I'll cut the coyote some "special status" slack when he cuts the deer, or the neighbor's pet, or some urban mother's two year old a break.

I don't believe the coyote should be given any "special status" slack.But I do believe it irresponible for "weekend ADC wannabees" to kill the adult coyotes with no regard for the day old,week old,or month old coyotes left back at the den to die a horrible death, that's all I'm saying.Nothing more,nothing less....Good Hunting Chad

I enjot the HELL out of hunting coyotes and could care less about the worthless deer population. So I dont hunt from early March till late Sept. JMHO

Utahcaller, you're so right buddy. Lot's of wannabes out there nowadays that don't have a lick of common sense. They also don't have much respect for anything, let alone a coyote.

If you really enjoy hunting coyotes, it would sure be a good idea to have some to shoot at in the fall. So why would anybody be shooting [beeep] coyotes that are feeding pups? Wannabes do. Oh yeah man....I killed 10 coyotes yesterday, 9 of them were pups...I'm cool, I'm cool.

If you have coyote problems that's another story. Most of these wannabes wouldn't know a coyote problem if it bit them in the a--.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What happens when you catch most or all the fish in the lake, bad fishing. Same holds true for hunting.

These guys can say what ever they want when it comes to coyote populations in certain areas, but were they around 30-40 years ago hunting them? If not how can they compare?

Some guys say it's a personal thing what time of year you hunt coyotes. They are right, it's very personal and I'm going to voice my opinion on it.

LOL! This topic is always worth a good laugh or two.

There is the belief with some people that it is our duty as Americans to kill every possible coyote, at any time of the year. Simply because we are saving some prize Angus bull, fawn, or child from the jaws of the vicious coyote just doesn't wash with me. Listening to some of these guys you would think coyotes were planted here by terrorists to cause Americans pain and terrible suffering. LOL

Heck, look at all the States with a deer overpopulation problem. Getting hunters to pop a doe is almost impossible, even when numerous tags are offered. I would think some of those states would welcome coyotes to help control the deer population. Than there's the guy who will gladly slap his wife's tag on an early season buck, save his for later and convince himself he had every right to do it. If Ol'Billy Bob down the road kills a couple extra deer thats not a problem either, even if he ends up feeding the meat to his dogs. But if some mangey dang coyote is seen mousing in a field or gets caught cleaning up a lost gutshot deer than we need some action!

When I first started deer hunting almost 28 years ago, we had a three week deer season with a one deer limit. That was during the days when a coyote hide was worth as much as a sheep and everybody was after a $50 coyote. Today, with hides being worth little, I can legally shoot two bucks and one doe every year and the season runs from 6 to 10 weeks. Those danged ol'coyotes have ruined my deer hunting! LOL

Lonny/onecoyote,

I know it cracks me up to.Like we're the only thing that stands in the way of Deer becoming extinct because of the big bad coyote.LOL Alot of people forget that long before we were around to Protect the deer they still managed to survive the coyotes and wolves.

But I guess it just makes some guys feel better knowing that they did there part in saving a dying breed.LOL

Hey guys, it made me feel better to vent a little. Heck, I'm getting so old it's hard to remember my name sometimes. Us older predator hunters have rights don't we?

Yep, and one of those rights is the pleasure and experience of having been there when things were better than they are now. "Better" in the sense that:
1. There were less restrictions (take, access, caliber, area)
2. There were less people (population-wise)
3. There was less competition for game (hunting not as popular)
4. There was much less real eatate development, so 100X more open space
5. There was so much more game available, because of all of the above

Older hunters have the right to brag about how good it was and never will be again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BillytheKid and NASA,
Dead on! Hate to say it, but the younger guys have no clue what the hunting and fishing was like 40-50 years ago. Just like I have no idea what it was really like 100 years ago. IMO, the good ol'days WERE just that and are gone forever (our lifetimes anyway). The same opportunties will never exist like that again. Sorry to be so negative but thats the view from this duffers eyes.

Wow!You young pups sure are dumping on us old timers.Could it be that we've learned some valuable lessons that you youngsters have not learned yet?Hmmm...I wonder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

i sure am not dumping on anyone! I long for a chance to hunt in the middle half of the 20th century. The stories my dad and grandad tell, they are so much better than what i have to experience! I will be the first one to tell you that i would be a much happier fella growing up in the fifties or sixties than i did growing up in the eighties and nineties! Greg you and Nasa nailed it on the head, Though I would have to say that not many people my age understand it as I do. But i have had the experience of being in the field with my dad and granpa hunting and fishing miles away from anyone from about 4 years old, i hope my kids in a couple of years are afforded the same, but they wont have it like i did, just as i did not have it as my dad. Sad but true!

Back