best rimfire for coyotes

I'd say a 7 mag is plenty for anything on the North American continent, though I myself don't have one. I simply don't care for belted magnums.

I will say shot placement is key most of the time, but the bullet used is also a large factor in how the scene unfolds. I know a guy who has killed countless deer, who now shoots a .30-06. He had a 7mm Rem. Mag., and lost several deer with it. He would hit them, trail them and lose them. After going to the '-06, he claimed his ratio improved. He thought the 7 mag was shooting so fast it didn't do the job. I think he was using the wrong bullet for the job.

I had a brother-in-law (now deceased) who was a deer slayer. He shot a Remington 700 in .270 Win. One year, the local hardware store didn't have the 130 grain CoreLokts he normally shot, so he bought 150's. He lost several deer that year, due to pass-throughs, where the bullet just didn't expand. He found this out by recovering some of the deer, and the exit wound was visibly less than that of the 130's. My thinking was (and still is) that using the correct weight bullet for the game you're pursuing will give you an edge with those shots that don't go exactly where you plan for them to go.

Will the .22 mag drop EVERY coyote in its tracks? Absolutely not. Is it reasonable to expect it to kill them regularly out to 100 - 125 yards with correct bullet placement? Definitely. Would the .22 mag be my choice of weapon for coyote calling in general? No, I'd prefer my .223 or .243. Will I shoot at coyotes again with the .22 mag? You betcha!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: pahntr760Exactly! That little energy X 43 pellets is certainly more energy than 1 hummer pill.

Well duh. I'm surprised you hadn't read that on the internet somewhere.

Can you put 43 pellets into a coyote's head at 200 yards?

Have you put any pellets into a coyote, ever?

Please tell me you're not one of these guys who have thousands of posts on this board and have never even killed a coyote....

Put the link up where you've posted up a dead coyote or go away kid. The adults are talking.

Oh, adults are talking. I'm sorry. I guess my experiance means nothing. And you can hit a coyote in the head at 200 yds with a rimfire, um, ok.

Yes I have killed plenty of coyotes, fox, raccoons, etc. I don't have pics because I don't care to take them. I will continue to post as I see fit along as I do not violate TOS. I did not realize that YOU were the one and only authority on who can post what.

No bobcats yet, but someday.

I am not engaging in s Pi55ing match here, just saying... I have hit a coyote in the melon at 200 with my WMR off my skidder... to get a 2" group out of a .22 mag or .17 Hmr at 200 yds isnt out of the question... and I do disagree with alot of the guys on here that say "pic or it didn't happen"... I walk MILES upon MILES calling predators, and I carry the least amount of gear possible, so a camera just doesn't make the cut on important things to take with me.

Originally Posted By: snowwhite204 I have hit a coyote in the melon at 200 with my WMR off my skidder... to get a 2" group out of a .22 mag or .17 Hmr at 200 yds isnt out of the question...

rolleyes.gif

You should compete with that .22MAG. If your doing this every time you pull the trigger, you'd win a ton of money in the professional shooting community. Not to mention enough awards to fill a warehouse.

Money in the bank.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike21Originally Posted By: snowwhite204 I have hit a coyote in the melon at 200 with my WMR off my skidder... to get a 2" group out of a .22 mag or .17 Hmr at 200 yds isnt out of the question...

rolleyes.gif

You should compete with that .22MAG. If your doing this every time you pull the trigger, you'd win a ton of money in the professional shooting community. Not to mention enough awards to fill a warehouse.

Money in the bank.
laugh.gif

Well, as it appears that you like to make things up, I will clarify for you. I NEVER said I could hit a coyote in the head at 200 yds EVERY TIME I pull the trigger, I merely stated that I did it one time. And if you are disputing that fact that a WMR or HMR can't group 2" or so at 200 yds, you are sadly mistaken... I have shot several groups between 1 and 2 inches out of my factory Savage 93 .22 Mag at my home range on calm days and I would venture to guess that there are hundreds of rimfire owners that could do the same. And while I am a competitive shooter for Pentax Optics, I must say it wouldn't pay any bills. If reading that I can shoot a decent group now and again made you feel inferior in any way, I sincerely apologize.

Last edited:
Whether you meant to or not, you pretty much defended it as a 200 yard coyote gun on a daily basis. Go ahead right now, and throw that 2" 200 yard group out of the window in any hunting condition.

I can only hope I was inferior enough to live up to your signature.
smile.gif

In what way would you or could you ever read that post and gather that I indicated that my .22 mag would be a 200 yd coyote gun? I said that I hit a coyote in the head off my skidder... would that indicate that its a primary hunting arm, since I stopped a large piece of logging equipment, un-cased it and popped a quick shot off and connected? How many guys do you know that regularly hunt off a skidder!? I defended nothing in that post, I stated that it was possible to do and that was all. You troll these pages picking at peoples words and looking to argue over nothing... enjoy yourself, as I am leaving this thread now as well.

Last edited:
You killed a yote at 200 yards with a 22 mag.....and it's not out of the question for a 2" 200 yd group.

I think that implies it would regularly be good enough for head shots on coyotes out to 200 yds. But then again, I've never been the smartest of men, and it's only one mans opinion.

I get that's not what you meant, no need for the unpleasantries.
thumbup1.gif

I did not even go thru this post. I cant believe its 9 pages! this topic comes up about once a week.

The answer is 22 mag inside 100 yards and 50 is better. See the huge dog in my avatar? 22 mag at 25 yards, Bang Flop.

I got a .223 shortly after I killed my first dog. With that said It became illegal to use a rimfire on yotes this year in my state so my mag likely will never be fired again as the .223 is superior in every way and can be reloaded down to 22mag specs.

12 ga with a carlsons dead coyote choke and wingmaster BB HD ammo should knockem dead for you to ATLEAST 50 yards. It penetrates better then #4 buck with way more pellets to fill the pattern. In my gun it'll go 60 yards and still put enough pellets in the 8" kill zone.

Good Luck

Leave the HMR at home.

Last edited:
Reading your sig... have you ever killed a yote with your Glock? I have shot one with my .40, but I have missed a half dozen or so with it since, not an easy feat apparently!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: snowwhite204Reading your sig... have you ever killed a yote with your Glock? I have shot one with my .40, but I have missed a half dozen or so with it since, not an easy feat apparently!

Its certainly enough gun! I have a G20 at the top of my "BUY" list!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760
Its certainly enough gun! I have a G20 at the top of my "BUY" list!

See, you don't need that 5mm then. I guess you better send it my way so someone can love it!
lol.gif

Well, I figure one of these days you'll throw up the surrender flag.
laugh.gif

I reckon I'll lay off.........for now.
tongue.gif

Last edited:
I would never consider the .22 mag to be the equivalent of a .223, .22-250,etc. The reason it's my go-to gun is that I keep one hanging above the front door for armadillos, coons, possoms, groundhogs, crows, fox, etc. I have shot countless of these critters from the front porch, and the mag is much friendlier to the ears under the overhang of the porch than a .223, as well as for all the above listed, the .22 mag is more than sufficient.

If I were heading out to call coyotes, I would take my .223, no question. But for shots from the porch, I'll keep grabbing the .22 magnum.

On a side note, I missed a shot at a coyote the other day, because he was 250 yards from the porch, and I had to run grab the .223. By the time I got back, he had moved to a point where I had no shot. Had the .223 been above the door, I might have gotten him.....

Oh, and the title of this thread is......"best rimfire for coyotes". There aren't a whole lot of them to choose from.

Last edited:
I live in an area where only can use centerfire at night, which is what I have to start doing with work and have a .17 hmr & a win 22 mag.. pretty sure shotguns are illegal and planning on 22 mag but my question is shot placement with a 50 grain bullet? With .223 I've always used I shoot high in shoulder & they've always laid down like asked but should I shoot there with the 22 mag, try for head or will behind shoulder kill em? Or would you recommend .17 as is a nail driver at 100-150 yards? Thanx guys!!

Quote:I live in an area where only can use centerfire at night,,,,Did you really mean this???....Quote: pretty sure shotguns are illegal ...You really need to check your local regulations, rather than being "pretty sure"...On a three year old thread that was already nine pages in length, your question has probably already been answered...I realize you are a new member and we always encourage relevant questions, (especially from new members) but ask that you do some degree of reading/research on your own...

Lol rimfire only!!! It was 3 o'clock in morning darn near & have never remember seeing where we could use shotguns at night but regs changed this year & is first first time night hunting with new regs so yea I did say pretty sure uh until can go over regs tonight!!!

Back