Baiting

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThat's a great way to end the season Paul, congratulations on a very good year. When does it open up again?

Thanks Owen, Oct 1

Last edited:
Still seeing coyotes at the new camp and it's hard to quit. My wife and I spent a couple nights at the new camp to turkey hunt and I turned the alarm on. First night it went off but I had a new sensor and had it set with a visual light coming on with the alarm by mistake. I guess the light off the sensor module spooked him. Second night I had the alarm sensor set to "no light" and the dog food eater took his last bite. This is the 8th male in a row, not that I mind. I figure there are a lot of females out there somewhere for next years seed.

The turkey hunting was just ok, heard a few but no shots fired.

223 53 gr. Superformance VMAX did the job DRT at 100 yds.

ubWhmQh.jpg

Originally Posted By: weekenderIt sure is great to have a target once in a while.
That’s what I keep saying. My targets were far and inbetween this season.

Sorted out what I had put up(skinned,stretched and dried). 5 coyote, 1 fox, 2 beaver going to tanner. Rest headed to Canada. 5" of new snow today, lot of snow melt water in the system. No corn going in the ground for awhile.

I've had some more activity at my place. My wife shot one in the driveway at about 10am one morning last week. Shot with her .243. 75 grain V-max. Frontal shot to chest. No exit. She said it spun a couple circles and then went down within 5 feet of where she shot it.

Two nights ago the alarms rang at 2:30am. I got up and grabbed the .223 with NV, and then realized I had left it on. The batteries were dead. So I put it down and grabbed the .243 that is topped with a Coyote Cannon White spotlight. I opened the window and scanned. Lit up coyote eyes right away. As soon as the light hit him he started running from right to left across my yard. I kept the light on him waiting for him to stop. He didn't stop. I squeeked and he still didn't stop. I barked and he still didn't stop. He just kept running till he disappeared out of sight into the bushes.
I went back to bed. My 3 year old daughter, who had crawled into my bed that night, said: "why is the dog in the house?" She heard me bark at the coyote and thought we had a dog in our house. haha.

Last night was wet and windy. The alarms went off at 1:25am. I got up and checked with the .223 and NV (with fresh batteries). I quickly spotted eyes in the distance. They disappeared behind a tree for a moment. Then a coyote stepped out and quickly trotted out of my sight across my parent's horse field.

I'm going to try to get some fresh bait out tonight to give me the upper hand in the game against this coyote.

Back