Baiting

Great shot, Lefty. This stuff is just too much fun. The only problem is, for me at least, the long wait in-between kills.

Weekender
Great shot and great story. You never know what they will do

xxLeftyxx
Great double. The two times that I have shot doubles I got (by luck) the female first then within a few min the male boldly comes right in to also give up his hide
lol.gif
. But two weeks ago I shot a male and the female stayed back only houling and barking. This has happened to others in this area as well.

Was your first coyote a female?

The bobcat was back again for the last two nights - three nights in all.

Here's a short video of it. I'll post a better video later once I get it uploaded to YouTube.

Click on the photo.

6mm- nice looking cat. Mine has been coming more during daylight hours. Haven't seen any trace of the other two, guess the group split up. Here's a short clip from a couple days ago.

Scalloper: first was a scrawny coated juvenile male. Second was also male, older, much nicer coat. Here's a day light clip of him the day before. Guess they figured out I work during the day...

Last edited:

Sureshot, no, my cat season ended Feb. 28. I just hope it's a female and has a nice litter of kittens this year.

Lefty, those are some great videos. I especially like the bobcat in the snow, with the snow coming down. Great stuff.

Your Bushnell takes much better quality video than mine does. I have the Trophy Cam HD, and was hoping for some great video. I am disappointed in the quality of video with mine. Seems the Wildgame Innovations X6C mounted up close to the bait site, takes the best video.

Expected a couple days off after the other day’s double. Last night, we got another snow storm so was thinking all would be quiet. Alarm went off around 10, could just make out a bobcat claiming the remaining deer carcass as his prize. I think this was the mother, definitely larger than the one that has been hanging around the past few days. My alarm went off again just past midnight, almost didn’t bother to go take a look – figuring it was the cat again. No so, turned out that another yote had found the bait. It was still snowing pretty hard with a good 10 inches of new snow, so decided to hold off as a track would be difficult.

The snow had stopped by 5 am, and I played hide ‘n seek for an hour with this one. Guessing it was the first visit - he was still very nervous. Just before daylight he made a fatal mistake. Don’t usually go for head shots, but he stood still a little too long, and our season ends next week. Another male, DRT this time.

93de0e20-60a4-4e98-b8e8-1b12126b9eab_zpse6a728f1.jpg

Does anyone use a wireless camera to transmit video back to home if under 100 yrds away and what one if do? I got 25 yrds of yard then got the woods after that. I am going to do the bait station and use the upstairs window as the sniper hole. I would like to use an alerter and also a camera hooked to tv to see what is on the bait pile when the alarm goes off.This would let me hunt while I am not hunting.

Last edited:
pmack - My camera uses black IR only for night filming. All of my yotes this year, except one, have come after dark. Using night vision, I can see the IR light come on when the camera is filming. Finally figured this out a week ago, as I increased movie length and decreased the time between them.

To be clear, the extra IR light from the camera is only visible using the NV (mine is a PVS-14). Knowing this, I can wait til the camera starts to be sure the shot is being filmed. I did this morning, unfortunately snow had built up on the camera overnight, so no video that time
frown.gif

Predyote - never tried a wireless camera, maybe someone else has experience there?

Last edited:
I only have one camera and it is pointed away from the hide because that's where my light comes from so i can't see when it's on. I am using a constant flood light to illuminate my bait pile. I guess they get use to it. It's been on everynight all night for 15 years. The light is 100 yds from the pile so it isn't bright there, just enough light to see.

Lefty, man you're on a roll. Nice going.

I too use the IR lights from the trail cameras to my advantage, both for seeing better with NV, and also to record the shot for me. Sometimes the cameras cooperate and other times they don't. But, I have those DC IR lights mounted on the post and can remotely turn them on and off as I need them or want to. Even the Gen 1 NV scope sees well with those IR lights.

The bobcat continues visiting the bait site and is becoming a regular. It was there again last night and I got quite a bit of trail camera footage. Here is a short video that I put together today. I am still working on a YouTube video and will post that later once I have it uploaded.

Click on the photo to see the video.

6-06 - Great footage of the cat. Really fun stuff to watch all the animal activity, especially at night. I had more alarm trips last night around 1am - another yote who was the most hyper of all I have seen at the bait so far. This one ran circles over and over, hardly ever stood still. Between all the movement and trying to sync a shot with filming, I never had a good shot to take. Was just about to go back to sleep, when a second one came in with it. This one was noticeably larger, maybe the alpha, and stayed on the fringes. Since I had been down just before sunset to refresh with more scraps, I figure my scent was really spooking them. Decided to give them a day or two to settle down, hoping for a better chance at the bigger one.

Lefty, you will most likely get one of those coyotes, or both. Good thing to let them settle down a bit first.

The bobcat was back last night, but was nervous and didn't touch the bait. It approached the bait slowly, then looked around as if it heard something, then quickly left. Not sure what scared it. No coyote showed up, and only a black skunk came later.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I snuck down at mid-day to swap memory cards in the camera. Figured the camera is on the house side of the bait area, so left very minimal scent of my visit. Guess I was wrong when I thought I saw two through the scope...

Hard to believe, considering I shot three this week, and 7 in the past month or so. Not that huge of a tract of land, and only a couple miles from the center of town. Guess I better be going to bed early for the next few days, heh.

Lefty, I hope it works out for you. I had a similar situation here last year. I killed 16 in my back yard last year. I thought the stream of coyotes was unending and I even turned down half dozen shots last spring while I thought they were denning. So far this year since July of 2012 to present, I've had one opportunity and made one kill on Jan. 7, 2013.

I think I may have shot them down too hard, but thought they would recover quickly. That hasn't been the case this year. I believe others have had similar experiences from feast to famine.

Last edited:
it has been quieter here this year....1 so far .. 5 last year and time is short with the snow -- tracks say otherwise .. these are coyotes we are talking about...... they will adapt and be a little more careful. i need a driveway patrol ...soon thanks for all the videos they are great to watch.

Back