Baiting

One of three that I have seen. My son shot this last year. A NY contest had one this year at 53, took the big dog bounty.

100_1133.jpg

My biggest coyote was 49 lbs. Ive taken many 35 lb.- 40 lbs. the 49 lbs. was impressive.Last night the alarm went off for the first time in close to two week's.It was the bobcat again.Our cats have a 2 week circuit most of the time.Somtimes they hang around a few day's then leave and come back stepping track for track 2 weeks later.Coyotes here have up to 3 week patterns,with two weeks being most common.When I use to do alot of winter trapping,you learned alot about canine patterns.I cought both cat's and coyotes, two weeks after I set thier trail,somtimes after several good snows with only slight dimples left of original trail. Fall patterns of course are totaly different than winter,with much smaller ranges.

They do seem to have patterns. Coyotes here vary when they hit the bait, but seems it's a month or so anymore. I used to get more activity at the bait site than I do now for some reason. Things have been very slow this winter.

I have only weighed two coyotes out of several, so I really don't have a comparison to go by. The male weighed 33 pounds and the female went 24 pounds. I think, judging by their size in relation to others, that those weights are pretty much the norm here.

Girl friend stayed over last night, no yotes for the past three weeks. Only bobcats and fox hitting the bait recently so I turned off the alarm. You know what happens next (AGAIN):

check out the time stamp, two minutes later...

No big deal, first time to the bait for them I think and they need a few more trips to settle down. Pretty excited that a pair showed up, was wondering whether I would seen any more before season winds down at the end of this month.

Also, was a bit surprised to see both the cat and yotes in the same area at the same time? Do you guys see this often?

Wow, that's good to have a bobcat and two coyotes show within a couple of minutes of each other.

As to your question, yes, I have had both cats and coyotes in the area around the same time, but not like you did.

As to your girlfriend, well, women God love 'em. What's a guy to do!

Stay after those coyotes. We're hoping to see some good photos of the kill.

nice video lefty, I put another hog carcus out this evening, wife and both got a boar. I put a camera on the carcus I left at the hog club just to see what eats it for future reference.

That didn't take long. Number 4 off the pile came a little after 1 am, a small red female – I didn't find out til this morning when I pulled the memory card, actually came in around the edges 3 different times earlier in the evening, camera picked it up but she didn't cross the sensors at the bait until the fourth visit. This one didn't go far...

number4_zps82d8fefb.jpg

Very nice, I haven't had any action on the cameras since I shot the 2 earlier this week. Something was able to pull deer carcass a few feet and not trigger the camera so hopefully it will be back.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: J.Markpredhunter, Is it true your coyotes will hit 70 lbs.?

I have herd of many that say they have 50lb coyotes but never seen one that tiped the scales to 50 myself.
I hear ya scalloper. We have been hound hunting for years in both ends of the State and we have killed 3 that weighed 45 pounds. I picked one up on I95 behind the Kittery Trading Post that also weighed 45 pounds. I do know of some up your way that weighed over 50 pounds but not many.

Nice going, Lefty. Glad to see someone getting some action.

Things have been really slow here for coyotes and the season is winding down quickly. I had better hopes for this winter than it turned out, but still I've enjoyed the heck out of trying.

I think checking the trail cameras almost daily has kept the excitement level up. There's been a lot of animal activity at the bait site, with an occasional coyote. Some of it was rather comical, especially the attack possum that bit a skunk and ran a red fox off. Then there was the possum and coyote that had to check out the trail camera. The coyote turned the camera sideways.

I'm still in the game if a coyote hits the bait, since we can hunt them all year, though I much prefer winter hunting.

Here's a quick summary video of some of the footage the cameras got this winter.

Mike, our Maineiac outdoors buddy josh took a 63 pounder either last season or the season before. I call him Dogzilla, things huge, he's got a picture of it up on his Facebook. Things bigger than him.

Originally Posted By: Mainah22-250Mike, our Maineiac outdoors buddy josh took a 63 pounder either last season or the season before. I call him Dogzilla, things huge, he's got a picture of it up on his Facebook. Things bigger than him.
I remember that one from a few years ago. I saw the picture on mainehunters.com. A BEAST for sure! That one wasnt living off of field mice and grasshoppers.

Originally Posted By: pmackOne of three that I have seen. My son shot this last year. A NY contest had one this year at 53, took the big dog bounty.

100_1133.jpg

I must say thats one of the largest I have seen. Great job. Many 50-70 lb coyotes are being held by 1 hand LOL. Man thats a beautie

Originally Posted By: Uncle MikeOriginally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: J.Markpredhunter, Is it true your coyotes will hit 70 lbs.?

I have herd of many that say they have 50lb coyotes but never seen one that tiped the scales to 50 myself.
I hear ya scalloper. We have been hound hunting for years in both ends of the State and we have killed 3 that weighed 45 pounds. I picked one up on I95 behind the Kittery Trading Post that also weighed 45 pounds. I do know of some up your way that weighed over 50 pounds but not many.
Man I have been working for every one this winter. They always come hard but this winter it has been tough. I have 4 so far and a TON of hrs in them. Numbers around home are very low. I have only seen the odd track all winter within 3-5 miles of my home. I did not think we could impact the numbers but I shot 27 in two years and another hunter shot 20+ that I know of in that same time within 4-6 miles of me. The deer yard I hunt in the Wesley area has a few more and one very large deer killer that so far has illuded me. Thats where I have shot the 4

Back