APCalls DSG Camo Ghillie Suit Sneak Peak

Originally Posted By: 3807patriotI dont know about others, Would there be any use for a longer coat as already mentioned but perhaps with some type of apron in the front that could be dropped/lowered once on stand?

When making multiple stands in a day's time, you can leave it on, drive to the next stand, get out and quickly go hunt.
The advantage is that the long coat will offer concealment, but won't gather the twigs like the ghillie pants do.

Barry

AP,

It's good to see someone like yourself ask hunters what they like, what fits well and is useful in the field, and build one from the ground up, so to speak. I've never used a ghillie, but have been looking at them with more interest. Thanks for your continued efforts of providing hunters with quality products.

Leafy suits work well here in the east, and I'm sure a ghillie would as well. If you ever decide to consider doing leafy suits, the browns and tans work great here with fall leaves. Those colors are hard to find in the current leafy suits on the market without darker colors added in the mix. I keep hoping someone will offer those with a base of tan or lighter color, and shades of various browns here and there, no blacks or dark colors.

Keep up the good work.

David

How long is the current jacket?
Anyone have a pic of them wearing just the jacket?
I am 5'-8" and thinking about the XL and just wacking the sleeves a little shorter.
A long coat without the gun cover or pants for around $40 would be nicer.

Last edited:
100_0070small.jpg

We are working on a 5 color green suit as well. This is less ten 10 yards from the camera. Trying to get the ghillie string dull enough and of the correct color for multiple types of greenery (forest / farmland / woods) is difficult, but I bet you have problems finding the other hunter.

The ghillie jacket will be 12 inches longer then the standard jacket with 2 extra snaps in front and a hemmed slit in the back to provider for comfortable walking when the suit is all buttoned up. This will bring the length just below the knees depending on your height. This should eliminate most of the irritating burs and twigs that often get in the suit string material in the area below the knees and around the ankles and interfere with walking and also are a big pain the rear to remove. You can wear camo pants of your choosing and this will still provide excellent ghillie style concealment. I expect to be running our prototype long jackets through some field testing next week. I also expect a price reduction in the retail price.

Some have mentioned a hood versus a separate removable head cover. I prefer the separate head cover. Why do you prefer the hood style?

I keep those who are interested posted.

AP

I actually hate hoods, but something is needed.

A separate cover or possibly a detachable hood? Either way it's just something you have to deal with to hide better.

As I have nothing, those look really good and at that price has my attention.

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsbut I bet you have problems finding the other hunter.

Are you saying there are 2 hunters in the picture. Hard to tell but there may be one to the left of the one in front (our right looking at the picture). Sitting down in front of the tree.

BTW, the 5 color green would work better for me. I can use that for deer hunting as well as predators here.

Hood
I prefer to wear a baseball cap and just pull the hood up when calling, I think a seperate cover would require stoweing it when not in actual use.

100_0086small.jpg

Here's a picture of our long jacket AKA "the Predator Master Ghillie Jacket". Pictured is a Med / Large size jacket on my ghillie model Eric who is 5'11" tall. We have went back and forth on the lenght..

This design will eliminate the collection of sticks and twigs that are attracted to ankles of the ghillie pants. It still is long enough to give the full gillie suit camouflage affect.

100_0089sm.jpg

100_0090sm.jpg

Sitting behind or next to some low ground cover will mask any exposed legs if you are really concerned about it.

I'm thinking this is about right - Your Thoughts?

ps reb8600 (a few posts above) the 2nd hunter is at the base of the tree to the left

I've been watching this post, and I think you are on the right track with the long coat and color. I think the color will be great for the fence rows between fields around here. The length will be right also. I have a leafy suit and don't wear the pants anymore because of burs. And as 6mm06 said, there is too much dark and not enough light color. Please keep us updated on when these will be available.

I'd like to have one for bowhunting but I'm thinking all the strings will cause problems across the chest and bow arm. Would it hurt anything to get one and trim a bunch of the strings across the chest and bow arm real short so they wouldn't catch?

Originally Posted By: RockCrusherall the strings will cause problems across the chest and bow arm.

Yep, that's what my bow hunter friends tell me.

Originally Posted By: RockCrusherWould it hurt anything to get one and trim a bunch of the strings across the chest and bow arm real short so they wouldn't catch?

Nope, that's what they do. Then you're just left with the fabric underneath, which in this case looks like a decent camo pattern. I'd add that you'll likely trim off the face/hat too. Having another person looking at what's in the way at full draw will get you set up.

A bowhunter friend (incidently from Indiana) who uses a ghillie is what sold me on using one. He said his success went up when switching to a ghillie. I figured if it works for deer it couldn't hurt for coyotes.

This is second hand info so maybe one of the bowhunters can chime in? This guy kills nice deer every year in your state.

Is that Nistetter in the parking lot again??

Anyway AP, the problem that I have seen with some material is shedding. For example I have a ranco safari upper that I use all the time and it dosen't shed. I bought a buddy one for his birthday one year. (I thought it was the same type of material as mine.) This upper jacket shed like it had mange and really did a number to the inside of the truck. (Lots of vacuuming) So if I were to suggest anything it would be make sure that the material dosent shed. I would never purchase one like that again.

100_0108sm.jpg

Here's one of the field test subjects from this weekend. Used the High Mobility Ghillie (extra long jacket without pants) in our Woods, Forest, and Farmland Camo. I was at about 7,000 ft in the pines. I did multiple stands and was very pleased with the suits performance when walking and humping hills. The young male coyote was suprised when the bush that was lip sqeaking at him also put a bullet in him at a range of 4 paces.

100_0108smb.jpg

When using the extra long jacket your legs will be exposed somewhat. The coyote did'nt seem to mind. Next time I may be a little more color coordinated (as in green camo pants) for product photos. But, I don't think I own a matched set of camo.

100_0110sm.jpg

AP

RanUtah, Good point, ours will shed some string, not enough to effect it's camouflage properties, but it will shed. It may not be the right product for your requirements.

Back