whats the best handgun 4 deer hunting.

Alot of guys around here use 44 mag. I have a stainless Smith & Wesson Single action revolver with a leupold on it, but I dont use it hunting cause it makes my ears ring.

Quote:
Alot of guys around here use 44 mag. I have a stainless Smith & Wesson Single action revolver with a leupold on it, but I dont use it hunting cause it makes my ears ring.

I am curious as to what kind of Smith that you have. I was not aware that S&W even made single action revolvers. And in stainless? Please include a picture as I feel sure that there are many of us on this site that would like to see it as well.

If I was to buy one JUST for hunting, I would go with a Super Redhawk and scope it. My own gun is a Super Blackhawk with open sights but thats cause the cowboy dream was brewing deep in my soul..lol

what model of gun is what im after. i didnt know what type of revolvers will except scope mounts. i am looking at the black hawk hunter 44mag. didnt know if there were any cheaper options out there. what about taurus? lee

Quote:
what model of gun is what im after. i didnt know what type of revolvers will except scope mounts. i am looking at the black hawk hunter 44mag. didnt know if there were any cheaper options out there. what about taurus? lee

If im not mistaken the super blackhawk accepts scope mounts.

Quote:
Guess my old mans S&W in .500 is pretty big in my eyes and most others but sure gets the job done. KA - POW!

Why Handicap yourself like that???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you can use any handgun its hard to beat a TC either the Encore or Contender chambered in a rifle cartridge unless its a Savage or Rem XP100. In Ohio we can only use straight wall cartridges 357 or larger, I have used my TC in 357max ,445 supermag, 45/70 and 44mag all good deer killers my favorite is my 14" 44mag, also they are very easy to mount a scope on. In revolvers one of my favorites is a 7 1/2 Ruger Redhawk 44mag also very easy to mount a scope on plus it has a longer cylinder than the Super Blackhawk ( you can load longer bullets LBT 325WFN ) either of the Redhawks are excellant hunting handguns and both come from the factory with rings ready to mount a scope like the Super Blackhawk hunter. I don't think the taurus Raging bull is drilled and tapped for a scope mount but I am not very familiar with them.

Ruger Super Redhawk 454 is the ticket!If recoil is too stiff you can shoot 45 long colt.I killed and 8 point buck last year with my little Taurus tracker 45 LC.-1 shot took him down.I shot the 44 mag. for long time till my son shot a deer with his 454.The Magtec 260 gr. bullet broke both sholders and exit on far side with a 60 yd. shot.He bought a 500 S&W.and shot 3 bucks,all ran off with a long tracking.The 500 seemed to shoot thru before expending the energy inside.He went back to shooting a 454 this year.Good luck with your choice.

I've got a S/S Ruger Blackhawk Hunter (Bisley Grip) with Burris RedDot. Works great, but for longer range, I would put a scope on it. They come with the rings.

I know I will stir some emotions here by saying this, but there is no handgun good for deer IMO. I bought a 44 a couple years back to take deer hunting. Honestly, I could have got more deer with a club. No range, and I think to much movement to prepare for the shot. Every deer I drew on seen me. That was in the hills of Wisconsin. Maybe others have had better results. I just thought it was a P.I.T.A. My $0.02.

While now they have larger chmberings for SA and DA revolvers the old 44 Mag is IMHO the besat round for deer sized animals. The problem many people have is they think/ want a handgun to do the work of a rifle. When thinking handgun hunting think BOWHUNTING. fifty to seventy five yardsis about Max range yea i know Elmer took a deer at six hundred or somke such but that was ELMER KEITH too. If you want to scope your handgun Rugers are nice the SBH Hunter comes with rings that mount right to the rib. Or the Super redhawk is great if you want a DA revolver I think Taurus is makeing one very simaler to the SRH as well. And if you really want to spend the big bucks you could go with the Desert Eagle semi auto. Like I said while there are otjher larger calibers the 44 Mag is the best compromise between stopping power and controlability. They really do not recoil as bad as some think, been shooting them over forty years now and have shot Deer Hog Bear and even an Elk But you have to remember the hand gun is NOT a rifle.

Back