whats the best handgun 4 deer hunting.

That is better...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Handguns have a little thing going for them called bore diameter. If you take bore diameter, bullet weight, and velocity into account, you will see that many of the big-bore handguns can compete quite well in killing power with many popular centerfire "deer rifle" rounds, and some even surpass them.

There are even more irresponsible/poor bowhunters and rifleman out there than there are handgun hunters........

When I thing about HUNTING HANDGUNS I think of big bore calibers as well such as 45LC, .454 Casull, .460, .500, ect... The .44 has taken a lot of game as well.If you would tell me that you shot your deer with a 30-06 handgun I would say "Oh you are one of those guys." I guess this subject has been beat to death by now. Enough said.

2muchgun... I was't trying to pit handgun shooters vs rifles. Just stating the fact that one is inherently more accurate than the other and easier to shoot.

The big bore hand guns have some impressive numbers S&W Model 460 XVR bills itself as having the highest muzzle velocity of any production handguns of 2,300 fps with a 200 gr bullet. A 300 Rem Utra Mag with 180 gr has 4,221 fps.

Also the handgun velocities drop off much faster than rifles.

First of all, I said deer rifles. Compare say a 44mag or larger handgun to say a 30-30 Winchester, 243, 25-06, etc. Multiply bullet weight x velocity X bore diameter and see what you come up with. Myself, and many others, find this a more accurate way of portraying killing power.

I will give one example. Using the above theory:

A 45 Colt pushing a 270gr bullet @ 1250fps has about 1.5X the killing power of a 270 Win pushing a 130gr bullet @ 3000fps.

I don't think I'd have to tell you which one I'd rather have for personal protection in bear country.

The one thing that this formula(Taylor TKO) does not take into consideration is bullet construction/type. Assume the toughest bullet possible in each, and the pistol still wins easily.....

"I would say "Oh you are one of those guys."" - So, just because someone doesn't follow your line of thinking, you have to look down on them? Kinda sad, isn't it? Isn't that also the same thinking that many use against the AR as a hunting rifle? O well, it doesn't matter. I'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Good night!

Glock 20. 10mm with 6"barrel. 180 gr.HP reloads. Very accurate gun. Not "the best" gun for deer, but gets the job done.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the 4221 is ft lbs and not fps........

Anyway, my 480 Ruger 325gr @ 1500fps load vs. a 300RUM 180gr at 3200fps load reveals that the 480 Ruger has about 25% more killing power.

Never underestimate BIG bullets.......

2muchgun ..... Taylor KO Theory does no measure Killing Power -- It was developed by an African big game hunter / poacher and it measured the ability of a round to Knock Down its intended prey (elephants) if a non-vital hit were delivered. And actually the formula is as you suggested above ... BUT devided by 2.

In any case, it is Not a widely accepted theory because it only explains the behavior of rounds under limited circumstances / conditions. It favors heavy rounds with big bores (like handguns) while in close proximity but at greater distances it falls apart. For example a 44 magmum has a greater KO value than a 270 at 200 yards, yet the 270 has 1600 - 2000 fps while the 44 only about 650. I don't think even you would argue that your 44 round is more effective at 300, 350, or 400 yards than a 270 would you?

If I were to say Energy is the proper measure it would favour rifles since E=MV (V being squared). But I won't go there.

Anyone can come up with a formula to conform their beliefs, but the fact of the matter is that there really is no set agreed upon formula to measure Killing Power.

Cheers.

Not sure where you are getting our info, but it is incorrect. Why don't they call it the "Taylor Knock Down theory" then?

It was developed to compare 2 cartridges.

It IS widely accepted, do a search and you will see it has been refefenced to in nearly every hunting mag on the planet.

The reason I believe in it, is because I have seen first hand with my own 2 eyes.

Energy alone is a poor indicator of killing power. BIG holes do damage, period. Heavier bullets drive deeper.

Pistols are used in close proximity, that is what this thread is about. The rifle holding more energy farther out is a moot point right now. Your comment about a rifle being the best tool for deer hunting really holds no water, as at normal pistol hunting ranges, the big bore pistol packs more punch than the average deer rifle, and some of them, MUCH more.

Or as you put it earlier, in this case, the pistol is the nail, and the rifle the push pin.....

wow- when did this thread go down this road?

Simple answer to your question- Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag with 4 5/8ths barrel - cant be beat by anything for combination of carry weight, accuracy, terminal effects and shootability.

I prefer the Bisley models for accuracy and pointability. It also absorbs recoil better. I would also recommend something with a longer barrel for hunting, as it gives you a larger sight radius which makes aiming easier, especially for a beginner, or on longer shots.......

I would think that the "point" of handgun hunting is kinda like the "point" of calling coyotes-get closer to the game (taking shots at 400yrds on yotes is more "shooting" them than hunting them)-. If you need to hit past 75 yards or so-then carry a rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree. Even at 75yds I find the longer barrel helpful. Someone better than I may not need it. I have only taken 2 deer with 2 different handguns, so far. So I am probably not as accomplished as some are. I have a box of 500 270gr LeadHeads I have been twisting up. Hope to get in a lot of shooting over the summer........

I have hunted deer exclusively with a handgun for 12 years now. I started with .44 Blackhawk, then Super Redhawk. Then I went with a .44 Desert Eagle and eventually upgraded to the .50AE. Ended up selling that rig for a .460 S&W. Poor choice (more on this later). Last year, after talking to a lot of other handgun hunters, I purchased a Thompson Center Pro Hunter in 7mm-08. This gun works awesome for me. Compared to the handguns that I previously mentioned, this rig is a Cadillac. I have it mounted with a Leupold variable 2.5 -8X handgun scope. It has a 14 inch barrel with muzzle brake. From a sandbag, I can shoot one inch groups at 100yds pretty consistently. I killed 5 deer (4 does and one decent buck) last season with it. The closest was 30 yards and the farthest was 175yds. That being said, if you are really serious about hunting deer with a handgun, consider the T/C in a rifle cartridge. The Rem XP and Savage Striker are good guns too, but they are no longer produced and therefore hard to find. One of these setups firing a rifle cartridge will give better accuracy and flatter trajectory than your revolver cartridges. If you reload....all the better.
Now to the .460 that someone in a previous post mentioned. I had one. I did not like the gun for these reasons: 1) Barrel life on these guns is 1200 to 1400 rounds with factory loads. If you don't believe me, just call S&W and they will tell you. You can, of course, reload a much "lighter" load and increase the barrel life. If that's what you opt to do, then just go with a .454. I owned mine only 11 months and had to have the barrel replaced. 2) The gun "coppers up" very badly. I would literally put 10 rounds through the gun and it would be heavily coppered (both reloads and factory loads). Then I would spend HOURS cleaning it. 3) Compared to my 7mm-08 Thompson that I have now, that .460 was a bear to shoot. Muzzle blast was much more extreme. I once leaned it against a tree to take a shot at a deer. The result was that I got my face and eyes full of bark and splinters from the cylinder-gap blast. Forgot my safety glasses on that day. IMHO, the .460 is a "white elephant."
I know this is a long post, but I hope this helps you.

Didnt mean to come off like an a** with that last post 2much- Shot a few rounds thru these- irons seem to peter out at about the max effective range for me so...

DSCN0963.jpg

I did not feel that way at all. I know what you mean about ease of carry, also. Those are some nice guns. Love the grips. Here are my 2 big game handguns.

480 SRH:

100_0316.jpg

45 Colt Bisley BH:

100_0294.jpg

100_0317.jpg

The 480 is stock except the Hogue grip.

The 45 Colt has Wolff springs installed, trigger job, custom grips, Belt Mt. Keith stykle base pin, and a One Ragged Hole peep sight......

Back