whats the best handgun 4 deer hunting.

Thanks for the cast bullet info. Once my stock of ammo from years ago is gone I may have to reload. My choice was a Super Redhawk in 44mag. 7.5 bbl. It came with scope rings. It was more balanced to me than the 9" version. The S&W 629 is great but the rings made the Ruger a better choice for me. The best trigger I ever felt on a 44 was on a Ruger S/A with trigger work done.

What about a Ruger GP 100 in a 357 mag? I have the 4" model and i love the way that gun feels in my hand. I think i could pick up a used 6" blued gun for not much cash. I would have to have some kind of mount though and i am not sure what that will cost. Maybe i just need the Ruger Blackhawk Hunter 44mag? Thanks Lee

Lee,

the ruger GP100 is a great revolver, very durable and very accurate. The 4" barrel is just fine, the amount of velocity you will gain is not enough to make a difference at the ranges you will be taking game at. Barrel length is pretty much a matter of sight radius and balance when it comes to handguns IMO. If it feels good, and you are comfortable and proficient with it, use it. And stay away from the hollow points, they stink out of a .357 for hunting, except the fusion, out of my carbine it had a fist sized exit hole on a small doe at about 60ish yards (ill stick to 60ish atm, after a few beers and a couple more years itll be 110ish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) didnt get a chance to use it in the pistol though so ymmv, that and the fusion isnt really a "hollow point" per se kind of in between.

For mine I used the Bsquare full length mount and loved it, then again im not really sure that there are any others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Not sure if they make them for the 4" and you would be limited to maybe a red dot anyway due to the length of the barrel, I would get a really nice set of High vis adjustable sights and Practice practice practice, and youll be just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good luck and have fun.

Dave

I don't know if it's the best for deer or not but I recently picked this up. Haven't even shot it yet. A .44 mag is the prefered centerfire where I live. In Indiana we are pretty limited on the cartridges we can use. Super Redhawk with 9 1/2" barrel and a Leupold 4X28. The rings come with a new gun. That Kimber just wants attention and jumped in the pic.

RugerKimber.jpg

Last edited:
2. Contender 30-30 - I have taken more deer with this then
any other handgun.

I have to agree with Sandhill, in my very humble opinion, you just can't beat the TC's. I have several barrels, but a 14 inch .30-30 contender w/TC 2.5X7 LER scope is hard to beat when you shoot the Hornady LeverEvolution 160's out of it. Another advantage is you can get .30-30 ammo almost anywhere on earth. If you are looking for something to put them down at 150 yards or less take a close look at this setup. Look at the energy and trajectory for this rig compared to the big bore revolvers like the 44 mag. I used to shoot a .44 mag contender pistol, and switched to the .30-30 and have never been sorry. But that is the real advantage in my mind to having the Contender or Encore pistol. Want a different caliber? Just get another barrel and you're ready to go.

My gun is a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" .44 mag. Killed close to 30 deer with it using Hornady 240 gr XTP over 26 gr. WW 296.
Got a 2X Leupold that I use sometimes. Mostly carry the 'scope in my pocket cause the 'HAMMER' is in a bandolier holster.
Don't use it much any more account have to where tri-focals. NO! Its not for sale.

No offense, but if we are talking about handguns,I don't really consider rifle calibers handguns. Handguns to me are revolvers and not single shot long range rigs. Here again I am not trying to offend anyone.

I totally agree.

Guys get mad when I say that 44mags aren't big bores also. Big bore handguns start 45 cal in my book......

Lee- If deer is what you are after, I would stay away form the .357. Not that it can't get it done, but you are just limiting yourself to much. You'd have to keep shots to around 25-30 yards, use 180 gr or bigger bullets, and only attempt broadside shots. I personally think you'd be better off getting something else, but that for you to decide.

Coyotehunter - I do agree in some ways, but isn't a revolver just a form of handgun, just like a semi auto, or single shot is? The original poster ask for handguns, that's probably why different types of handguns are being recommended. I do understand where you are coming from, as my favorite hunting handgun is a S&W 41 mag revolver.
But the thing is, I hunt some places that a 100-125 yard revolver just isn't going to cut it. Isn't it better to adapt to the needs of the hunt, then pushing the limits of a .41 or .44 mag? I do respect your opinion, but there's more then one way to skin a cat.

Jon

Thats what rifles are for.

Handgunning to me represents a certain challenge, like bowhunting. Knowing that you must get so close to be successful is a big part of it. Handguns in rifle calibers are a whole different ball game.

I've no problems with what one hunts with, they are just not handguns in the purest sense of the word.......

In many places the game laws say handguns only. If they allow rifle calibers in handguns, go for it. No point in shooting a 44 from a 6" barrel when you can shoot a 308 from a 14" barrel.
I agree it's all a bit silly but that's the law many places.

Jack

I personally don't know of any places that are "handguns only" that allow handguns chambered in rifle cartridges. Not saying there aren't any..........

I agree with nocturnalnasty When I lived in Illinois you couldn't hunt with a rifle, but you could hunt with a pistol shooting a rifle cartridge. and the 30-30 was great handled well and good distance if needed.

Here in Michigan, if it shoots a rifle cartridge, it is classified as a rifle. Which makes sense to me, considering bullet travel is the objective.

Indiana deer rifle.........

gun.jpg

The best handgun for deer hunting is a Rifle!!!

The members of this site are no doubt responsible hunters that know the limitations of their weapons and practice regularily at the range to keep their skills up .... but can the same be said of the general hunting public?

How many deer are lost or injured every year due to poor shot placement by inexperienced handgun users? Respect your prey .... choose the right tool for the job (and not some piddily little .223 either). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A push pin is no substitute for a nail ... nor is a handgun a substitute for a rifle... Just my $.02.

Back