whats the best handgun 4 deer hunting.

I have shot a lot of handguns over years. I have hunted with three different revolvers. Currently I use a Super Redhawk in.454 with a 4X Leupold scope. I have had a trigger job on it which makes it a sweet shooter. Before that I always used Smith and Wessons. Smiths are better looking and better out of the box, but Rugers are made for heavy loads and hunting. I used to use red dots but for the past 8 or 9 years I have shot scopes. I like the scope better if I decide to take a long shot off a rest.

Depending upon your states handgun hunting laws I recommend a scoped TC Encore in the calibers of 6.5 to 30. These milder calibers out of a 15” Encore have been proven to be outstanding for deer hunting. I’ve been using one in one form or another since 1996 with excellent results.

B..

Quote:
I know I will stir some emotions here by saying this, but there is no handgun good for deer IMO. I bought a 44 a couple years back to take deer hunting. Honestly, I could have got more deer with a club. No range, and I think to much movement to prepare for the shot. Every deer I drew on seen me. That was in the hills of Wisconsin. Maybe others have had better results. I just thought it was a P.I.T.A. My $0.02.

If you're hunting, the bow, rifle, shotgun, or handgun ought to be in your hands IMHO. 44 mag works well to at least 100 yards if you practice enough to hit. I've taken deer out to 150 yds with a scoped .30 Herrett T/C Contender. No more movement required than with a rifle. I'm sure others have used Contenders and Encores at even longer range.

All that said, I've gone mostly to a Contender carbine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...but I could go back to a handgun under some circumstances.

Sounds like you made a decision that works for you.

I have hunted with handguns for 40 plus years.
I also bow hunt and use a muzzle loader.
I have been successful with all of them. As to the hand gun as one poster put it, think bow hunting and add about 30 yards to your limitations.
I hunted with a SW 29 44 Mag (Dirty Harry years) A couple of Contenders 308 and 30-06, the 06 was an absolute bear to shoot.
For the most part though for deer I have used a Dan Wesson 357 Mag. I have killed more than 25 deer with it. Only 2 took more than 1 shot.
So it is more your hunting style and shot placement than the caliber. What ever you use, use it well and have fun!

I have owned and shot a few handguns in my life, and my current hunting rig is a scoped Raging Bull 454. But, if I had to replace this one, I would definately go with a 460. They have more bullet options available. It can shoot 460, 454 and 45 long colt ammo. For big heavy game like elk I would use the 460, deer and medium animals 454 and 45 lc for plinkin and just having fun.

Here's mine,

1. Red Hawk .45LC - I'm a huge fan of the .45 LC

2. Contender 30-30 - I have taken more deer with this then
any other handgun.

3. S&W 657 Classic Hunter .41 mag - My favorite all around
deer hunting rig.

4. M.O.A Maxmum .260 - This is the finest handgun I have
ever owned. Have take antelope out to 200 yards with it.

While the M.O.A in the finest I have, the S&W 657 is my favorite (out of what I have) and the one that gets used the most anymore. Just something about harvesting game with a revolver! If I had to pick the one that I think is the best though, I would go with one from Freedom arms.

While I have the 44Mag audience I have a ?. I currently shoot 240 gr JHP's. Would 240 gr SP be better because last yr at 50yds I hit one low on the shoulder hitting bone and although the deer dropped I had only 50% penetration.

Thanks and + 1 for the Super Redhawk.

You didn't say if your state allows bottleneck cartridges or just straight walled.
I would choose atleast a 44 magnum. I have a F/A 454 that works for a hip gun, otherwise I have a scoped Encore in 454 that is better for longer ranges. The 454 is nice since you can shoot the 45 Colt, although Freedom Arms does not reccomend it. You would be better off down loading the 454 case for milder loads.
On the bottle neck side, I have a 7mm08 and a 30/06 JDJ that are more than adequate in the Encore platform.

good luck

Quote:
While I have the 44Mag audience I have a ?. I currently shoot 240 gr JHP's. Would 240 gr SP be better because last yr at 50yds I hit one low on the shoulder hitting bone and although the deer dropped I had only 50% penetration.

Thanks and + 1 for the Super Redhawk.

Personally, I would not use a JHP or a soft point (SP I presume)

I'd use a cast bullet with a big meplat.

such as this one.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN6478.jpg

or this one

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN6457.jpg

The big meplat will put a serious hole all the way through your game. Bone won't stop it, it'll just add to the destructive force. Nothing like two holes for leaking out the blood and killing quickly.

I agree with "think bowhunting". I use a S&W performance 629 with a full rib b-square mount and a bushnell 2-7 scope. I likes the hornady 240gr xtp factory ammo. Shot a few deer with it. Last year shot a doe at about 80-90yds. It was quartering away and I hit her just behind the near shoulder and punch right through the off shoulder. She took 2-3 steps and dropped. I really like the gun. But I would also suggest using shooting sticks,ear plugs and eye protection. I've shot a 41mag and 357mag but didn't like the results on deer. T

I agree with "think bowhunting". I use a S&W performance 629 with a full rib b-square mount and a bushnell 2-7 scope. I likes the hornady 240gr xtp factory ammo. Shot a few deer with it. Last year shot a doe at about 80-90yds. It was quartering away and I hit her just behind the near shoulder and punch right through the off shoulder. She took 2-3 steps and dropped. I really like the gun. But I would also suggest using shooting sticks,ear plugs and eye protection. I've shot a 41mag and 357mag but didn't like the results on deer. The trigger on the smith is one of the best that I've pulled right out of the box. I've shot some 4in groups with it off shooting sticks and 2in groups off the bench at 100yds. Pretty good for me. My vote is for the smith.

I have a Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull 8 3/8" stainless, and a scope mount for it. I used to have a scope on it, but for my style I chose iron sights. The pistol itself doesnt have ring mounts, however they do make a mount that bolts on through the vented rib. Its a quite sturdy setup. I had no troubles with it whatsoever, and was very accurate. The gun, scope, and mounts was more accurate than I can deliver.

The .454 is a incredible round too. I handload so the cost isnt as important. I load a 300 grain laser cast bullet, with H4227. Chrono'd at 2002 fps. It drops deer and bear like a bad habit, that I can attest to. I wouldnt be afraid in the least bit to persue brown bear, or elk with this wonderfull firearm.

Wisconsin has no restriction on cartridge shape in pistols,
so my Savage Striker, in 308 Win, if my favorite whitetail
pistol. 200 yards isn't even a challenge, with a good
rest. It isn't a traditionalist's pistol, but it does
dispatches deer well.

Squeeze

If that is what you normally use, try the Speer 270gr Gold Dot. You'll thank me later...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back