New Remingtons are junk!

varminter .223

I have other complaints with Remingtons turning to crap but today my brother got word that they won't stand behind his 7 years old 11-87 supermag that fell into two pieces while hunting. This gun was never abused but just used for what it is advertised to do. Pathetic! The whole stock and tube that is welded to the receiver fell off. They want 65 to silver solder it on which will burn the camo finish or 300 for a new receiver. I would call everyday until it was warrantied. Remington you build junk and you are a disgrace to the other American manufacturers!
This particular gun always shot abot 6 inches low at 20 yards with any tube or load and his new Versa Max is the same way. My experience with all new Remingtons had been lousy. If I sound rash it is for good reason!

Last edited:
Why would someone buy a versamax if their 1187 is a lemon? I hope the v3 works out. It is such a shame that an iconic american company has gone to crap. If america can't even produce decent firearms, what the [beeep] can we make?

I am form fit function kinda guy, my new 700's shoot great, and every new 700 that I have shot, shot great. Remington barrels made today are whole lot better than the ones made in the 70's!

varminter .223, you are talking about gun fit, not a design problem. I shoot low with almost every brand of shotgun made.

On the shooting low issue, I put on a Burris speed beade, really increased my ability to pick up targets real quick.

I am wondering if 3 1/2" magnums put a lot of metal fatigue on that part of the gun which is why they did not warranty the broken weld due to it being normal wear and tear which would be the same with broken extractors, wore out O rings, etc. Metal fatigue is a huge issue in guns, and yours is the very first that I have heard of, but it may be very common.

Would you say the gun had 1000-1500 magnums through it?

I was dove hunting in Az with a 1964 Browning A5 and the entire forearm and barrel came off when I shot and flew off into an irrigation canal, which I had to dive in and get. I had to get that silver soldered back on. This did not make this Belgium Browning a lemon, I think that they consider it normal wear and tear. Come to find out, this issue was normal with A5's with 50,000 rounds through them.

I went and bought a new Benelli Super Black Eagle I, and it would jam starting at around 5 boxes of shells through the gun, how upset would you be having a NEW $1200 shotgun turn into a single shot on a red hot dove field. Day after day it would jam somewhere between 5-6 boxes of shells though the gun. This supposedly low recoil gun turned both of my shoulders green from recoil.

So, I went and bought a Mossburg 500 in 410...holy cow, now I had a ball shooting doves with that 410, great life lesson!

So, I kept the SBE I, traded it in on a Super Black Eagle II when they came out, no worries now.

Having one gun fail on you does not make a bad company. Every company has warranty issues, you never know what parts failures they will cover till guns fail on you.

What would you think about an $8000 over and under shotgun that wears the firing pin holes elliptical? The company considered it Normal wear and tear...IN this case, the receiver has to be drilled and the firing pin holes bushed...Now that HURT!!!!

In another case, a very reputable brand of over and under, $1000, breaks firing pin springs on a regular basis! Then one of the barrels came loose on a sporting clays tournament.

Starting to get the picture? Don't let the bastards get you down!

The gun had nowhere near 1000 rounds through it and I have identical guns that don't shoot low. Is a gun supposed to break in half after less than 1000 rounds. If they do then it is a problem that needs taken care of and it dang sure isn't normal wear and tear. That's 2 bad ones in a row for him and I currently have a vsf 220 swift that I bought new that will not shoot anything moa or under for 5 shots. I sent it back and they put a new barrel and action on it and it shoots the same. I have factory hornady ammo to try this weekend. If it doesn't shoot I am going to ask for my money back and they can have the pos. Have you seen the crowns on the new remington rifles sitting in the racks at stores? They are tool marked up and lousy. I have seen a bunch of crap come from remington lately and I won't tolerate crap for my money.

I will examine crowns this weekend at the gun show.

Sounds like you are soon to become a Tikka man on rifles, and a SBE II man on shotguns. Life is too short, move on.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: 1badsheeAlso that wart of a bar code they put on everything now.

Man I hate that thing.

That's for sure.

Remington has been junk for a while now. The way they treat problem issues is even worse. Too many good firearms companies around to deal with one that won't stand behind their product. They will coast along for a while thanks to the loyal fanboys. To bad the board of directors doesn't share that same loyalty.

I'll not argue that Big Green's QC and CS has been on a down hill slide for years but I don't understand why you feel they should fix a seven year old shotgun that came with a two year warranty......cars....computers....power tools.....almost everything comes with a limited warranty....sucks but that's life and ranting to total strangers on the WWW won't change it......

http://www.remington.com/support/firearm-warranty-information/remington-2-year-limited-warranty

And while it doesn't have anything to do with anything that Ackleyman is 100% correct about their current barrels being superior to the older ones.....the problem is at the ends where poorly programmed/set up CNC machines and/or worn tool bits come into play.....I have a SPS 223 barrel that I had re-chambered and re-crowned that shoots right with my Pac-Nor's.....

PS......I bet you can find a smith to solder that tube back on for pretty close to what it would cost to ship it back and forth to Remington......probably even have enough left over for a beer to ease the pain......
smile.gif

Last edited:
Actually the gun is 6 years old. Anyway, I called Remington and raised a stink for my brother... they now want the gun back to repair it. I guess that is good but on top of all this my buddy brought his brand new never fired 11-87 with us coyote hunting this morning to see if we could call in a crow after the coyotes wouldn't cooperate. Well, we called one crow in and guess what the gun didn't even extract the spent round...we shot again...nothing. I told him to clean it and see what happens but I am seeing a pattern here. As someone who has always been a true blue Remington guy I am having a hard sticking with them. It is more upsetting to me to see an American icon going down the tubes than anything. I expect well used items to wear and I have no issue replacing normal wear items on my own dime, but to fall into 2 pieces...come on man. If it does at least stand behind it the first. My brother said the guy at the Remington repair center didn't sound to pleased with Remington either.
This is a bit more than a rant but to info others that if they are on the edge about what to buy then maybe they ought to consider other manufactures at this time.

Last edited:
Brand new 11/87 that did not fire. Ok, new guns often go through a screw up on assy. Ok, was it a light dove load that he was trying to shoot, some of the guns that are 3"-3 1/2" mags do have a problem with 7/8 oz loads or 1 oz loads, and they advise of this in the owner's manual.

Next, see if they left off the gas seal on the magazine tube, this would make it a single shot for sure.

If the round could be manually ejected with no broken extractor, that means that there was NOT enough gas getting generated or captured to cycle the bolt.

I would bet that it is a light load. Proof of this would be to fire a buckshot round and see if it cycled. If the buckshot round did not cycle, and the gas ring is intact, then the gas rings are probably put on the magazine tube backwards during assembly.

Your quote, " I expect well used items to wear and I have no issue replacing normal wear items on my own dime, but to fall into 2 pieces...come on man."

This is normal wear and tear on some shotguns, and I listed three things that happened to me on very expensive shotguns, you did not listen. Live happens. I don't know what you are going to be able to buy that does not have imperfections in parts, assembly, and/or design issues, and quality of the steel used.

You saw what I ran into with those expensive shotguns. Now, lets say you get even more pissed off and go out and buy a brand new $1350 European varmint rifle with great reviews from everyone. Then you find out that you can't touch the lands with the bullet it is throated so long(European CIP spec)? How pissed are you going to be then, the darn barrel is just about shot out when it is brand new!!!

Now you are upset with Remington on your 220 Swift, and I bet that it has the plastic stock,?

this gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538562329

or this one with the HS type of stock from Brown Precision with the bedding block:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=539594243

If you have plastic stock, and you don't reload, be very very thankful that you are shooting 1" groups. Replacing the stock with a Boyd's laminate Varmint free floated and bedded will cut the groups size way down. Now, if you don't reload, you are stuck with trying to find a load that the gun likes from various factory loads.

If you have the stock with a HS stock, then you should bed it, free float the magazine box, and you will have a tack driver.

Ok, I spend $8000 on a European over and under, ended up with a $600 repair bill and a year's wait to get fixed, then another $1000 over and under that had firing pin springs break THEN had a Barrel come out of the action during a Sporting clays tournament, then a very popular Inertia operated shotgun that was a POS, this is life...get over it. Life is an attitude.

A. It is a 3" gun and they were not light loads at all and it did extract manually.
B. I told him to check those things to see if it was all there or gummy.
C. My brothers gun has not been used all that much and I would expect a quality piece to last longer.
D. As far as my pos swift I have had it on 2 Hogues stocks and one HS Precision off of a VSSF II. All these stocks shot well under moa on other "older" Remingtons.
E. I sent it back and they put a new barrel and action on it, that tells me it had issues.
F. It coppers fouls so bad the bullet may be under 20 caliber by the time it leaves the barrel.
G. I could drive a team of mules sideways through the firing pin hole which make for nice craters
H. As far as being able to reach the lands......... I don't think my 30 ft. tape measure would reach.

If no one ever pizzes and moans to Remington or about Remington in regard to the crap they put out I doubt they will ever try to improve.....I guess you never have complained to your congressman either......maybe you need to learn to speak up!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Actually the gun is 6 years old.

Sorry......just repeating what you said......but even at six the warranty did expire four years ago....but hey....it's your crusade.....carry on.....

Back