New Remingtons are junk!

I don't mean to be complaining because my toy broke and I don't wanna pay to fix it but after these recent issue
1. the minute of barn door swift
2. the .223 with the scored rifling on the muzzle end
3. the .243 bdl with the tool marked crown
4. the 11-87 that shoots low
5. the versa max that shoots low
6. The 11-87 breaking in half
7. as of today the 11-87 that won't cycle
I guess I have had my fill lol! I even ordered a new Savage!
I am not so sure that I would call it crying or whining so much as maybe screaming in frustration!
Oh and the first swift barrel had a ding in the crown too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I don't mean to be complaining because my toy broke and I don't wanna pay to fix it but after these recent issue
1. the minute of barn door swift
2. the .223 with the scored rifling on the muzzle end
3. the .243 bdl with the tool marked crown
4. the 11-87 that shoots low
5. the versa max that shoots low
6. The 11-87 breaking in half
7. as of today the 11-87 that won't cycle
I guess I have had my fill lol! I even ordered a new Savage!
I am not so sure that I would call it crying or whining so much as maybe screaming in frustration!
Oh and the first swift barrel had a ding in the crown too!

Very bad string of luck. To say the least.

I'll help you out by giving you $100 each for your problem firearms and will even pay the shipping. You have had a run of bad luck and if I can help you get into a new firearm it would be my pleasure.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI will examine crowns this weekend at the gun show.

Sounds like you are soon to become a Tikka man on rifles, and a SBE II man on shotguns. Life is too short, move on.

I noticed the Tikka magazines are made just like the Savage Walking Varminter mags. An insult to human intelligence and firearms. At least the barrels are good on both.

Several years ago I was told the 870 Express was born because WalMart bought a large interest in Remington so they could force cheaper guns be made for cheaper sale in their stores.
I never knew if this was true.
Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Originally Posted By: varminter .223You look at how Rem advertises their rifle accuracy and tell me how it isn't false advertisement.

Don't know why you think that. I've got a safe full of new Remingtons, and every one of them is pretty darn accurate. At least, they are accurate enough for me.....and a bunch of coyotes and deer would probably agree, if they could talk and weren't dead.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistSeveral years ago I was told the 870 Express was born because WalMart bought a large interest in Remington so they could force cheaper guns be made for cheaper sale in their stores.

I'm not sure. I have a 870 express I bought over 20 years ago and that thing has been a great shotgun.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: tnshootistSeveral years ago I was told the 870 Express was born because WalMart bought a large interest in Remington so they could force cheaper guns be made for cheaper sale in their stores.

I'm not sure. I have a 870 express I bought over 20 years ago and that thing has been a great shotgun.
Key phrase, "you bought it 20 years ago". I know they went to plastic trigger guards on the new ones.

The American consumer can be to blame as well. They want to keep paying bottom dollar for top quality. They are not synonymous to each other.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: tnshootistSeveral years ago I was told the 870 Express was born because WalMart bought a large interest in Remington so they could force cheaper guns be made for cheaper sale in their stores.

Key phrase, "you bought it 20 years ago". I know they went to plastic trigger guards on the new ones.

I agree quality is not there today with the ones made back in the day.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistSeveral years ago I was told the 870 Express was born because WalMart bought a large interest in Remington so they could force cheaper guns be made for cheaper sale in their stores.

I had never heard that so I did some snooping on the Net last PM. No connections that I can find. I think it was just cost cutting to pump up the bottom line. Even my 870 Police, circa 1978, is smooth as butter just like my 1959 issue 20 gauge Wingmaster. I'd have to think long and hard about the new ones.

The rifles I've bough in the past 10 years on the other hand have all been tack drivers. They are 204's and 223's. The two others I have obtained were all old and they are 243 and 30-06. Both good shooters.

Greg

Regarding the Express... I've owned three of them over the years. All early enough to have the metal trigger guard units. Had trouble with ALL three of them. And no, I don't believe Walmart ever bought any part of Remington. The Express isn't a Walmart exclusive. That cheapening up of a classic design is all on Remington. They have to meet a price point to compete with all the inexpensive guns flooding the market. The Express does that, but as an old Wingmaster shooter I can't abide the things. The Express would have to stand on its mothers shoulders just to kiss a Wingmaster's azz.

I've been posting the QC issues with Big Green for years especially with the 700's and everytime I do on this site people tell me I'm full of crap.

Ya'll are learning.....Lol

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The American consumer can be to blame as well. They want to keep paying bottom dollar for top quality. They are not synonymous to each other.

And there it is although nobody's willing to admit it....

In the last two years:

700 VLS in 308 with plastic stock*-variety of hand loads
308 Sps ss sporter*-178g Hornady Tac ammo
308 sps blued sporter*-178g Hornady Tac ammo

223 sps ss sporter-Benchmark with 55g Nolsers, unreal accuracy

Tack drivers with no alterations, guns with the *
These belonged to friends

The 223 Sps ss I bought, I put it in an old Walnut stock, bedded, freefoated, tuned trigger, and it shoots 3/8"-1/2" with a variety of loads.

There is no perfect world, spend according to your patience level.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: pahntr760The American consumer can be to blame as well. They want to keep paying bottom dollar for top quality. They are not synonymous to each other.

I see it a lot, Charlie. People come in, wanting a $300 rifle...I hand them a $300 rifle and they complain. Actions rough, mould lines in the stock, imperfect finish, etc...I hand them a better rifle, they love it!! But then don't buy because of the $6-800+ price tag.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: pahntr760The American consumer can be to blame as well. They want to keep paying bottom dollar for top quality. They are not synonymous to each other.

Or at least very, very few.

Back