different feelings about hunting.

Ohio Hunter,

Please send a list of all your gear to me via PM.

Thank you!

All joking aside, i have hunted for a few years now and when hunting alone it does not give me the same fire or passion as it does when hunting with a partner that is on the same page as me.

I am a hunter and whether it be alone or with a partner, it is still enjoyable and i look forward to every hunt.

Best of luck with your newest adventures.

Originally Posted By: RockinUI don't really get the hang up on a quick death. Sure, every effort should always be made for as quick and easy a death as possible, that should be the goal of every ethical hunter, but bad shots happen...do your best to quickly remedy them and all is good. Nature is merciless, she has no compassion and gives no quarter. A badly botched shot is often much kinder and humane a death than nature and her predators give. Do the best you can, and make every effort to do it the right way, and don't sweat the rest of it. Nothing goes to waste in nature.

Ya' know ..... when you think about it, Nature's way is either a lingering death, a violent death, or both. Death by hunter no matter how good or bad the shot is is about the best an animal can hope for as far as possible demises go.

Since I was old enough to barely hold my Grandfather's double barrel shotgun, I have been addicted to guns. No one pushed them on me or tried to get me to like them. The desire was innate, it was within me. At a very early age I also began to crave hunting. Again, it was just in me. I never saw my Grandfather hunt. My dad did some squirrel and rabbit hunting back then but I never got to go when I was very young, but the desire was there. Huntng was just in my blood and something I had to do. Over the years I have had the good fortune to hunt in many places.

As I have gotten older, my attitude with regards to hunting, ie what I consider important, has changed somewhat. I no longer crave the actual killing as much as I do the experience of being there. Seems I am just about as satisfied to video someone else doing the actual hunting and shooting. When in Wyoming on an antelope hunt three or four years back, one of the guys said something like, "Dave, you need to shoot some, you haven't shot any at all." We were on the last day of our week-long hunt and I hadn't squeezed a trigger, but had been quite content just videoing everyone else all week. Another example, whereas in years past I might shoot every fox I could, now I manly give them a pass, taking only one or two here and there, mainly in testing various bullets, searching for that fur-friendly load.

I think as a guy gets older, he begins to see the whole scheme of life in a different way. Maybe in my younger years I was more on a quest of "collecting" a variety of animals, of experiencing the actual hunt as well as the kill. But now, that desire is not as strong.

I still love to hunt and hope to do so as long as I am physically able. It will always be in my blood. But the need to continually be killing is no longer in me.

Time has a way of changing things.

Very interesting guys! I guess the way I look at it is I hunt but I love nature more. I was taught only take what you will eat. I pheasant hunted yrs ago shot 1 cooked it, hated. I've never hunted them again. I stopped for a couple yrs. Now I hunt and feel excited again! I find myself scouting,planting, and trying to almost study them! I am 38 and find it is different when we "grow up" lol.

Interesting topic. I think when we are young, hunting is just about the kill and the excitement that is there when you get That kill. As you get older and more experienced with hunting your chosen game you will then learn to appreciate all the things that lead up to get that particular animal in front of you for that shot. To me that is what hunting is all about now. That is what Im trying to teach my kids and anyone else I take "hunting" that does not have much expirence. Hunting is not just killing animals for me at all. I'm 43 years old now but hunting is a big part of me and my families lives. We live on a small farm In Ohio also and I have as much fun or more farming for wildlife as I do the actual hunt. We plant food plots for deer and turkeys and put out fruit trees and hard woods for future wildlife to thrive. We use trail cameras almost year round and for me checking these cameras are just as fun as actually setting for these animals hopeing for THE SHOT. I look at harvesting animals(NOT KILLING)on our farm as part of the farming for wildlife. We as hunters have to keep the population of wild animals in check to keep them healthy and to help each of them thrive in their environment. There are plenty of ways you can keep going out to enjoy the outdoors without KILLING anything. I have just in the last few years started hunting coyotes because I was seeing more of them than deer on stand. After I started trying to harvest the coyotes I gained a lot of respect for them. They are very hard to figure out. I have done my best to try and learn more about them and more about how to get them to come to the call. The excitement of something new and the respect for the animal is what drives me. Don't give up on hunting because you don't want to kill anything anymore. The kill is just a very small part of the whole thing we call hunting. Respect for the animals and their environment and all the adventure that comes with trying to put those animals in the crosshairs is what you have to put in prospective.

Originally Posted By: icope2000Very interesting guys! I guess the way I look at it is I hunt but I love nature more. I was taught only take what you will eat. I pheasant hunted yrs ago shot 1 cooked it, hated. I've never hunted them again. I stopped for a couple yrs. Now I hunt and feel excited again! I find myself scouting,planting, and trying to almost study them! I am 38 and find it is different when we "grow up" lol.

Let me know how that coyote tastes.

I sometimes get that feeling that my hunting days are coming to an end. Then, I see a deer, hog, coyote, reach for my rifle and that feeling goes away. I will say, nothing beats being outside an hour before daylight to watch the sun chase the stars from the sky and the world come to life. I would never know that if not for being a hunter. That makes it all worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: TommyPI sometimes get that feeling that my hunting days are coming to an end. Then, I see a deer, hog, coyote, reach for my rifle and that feeling goes away. I will say, nothing beats being outside an hour before daylight to watch the sun chase the stars from the sky and the world come to life. I would never know that if not for being a hunter. That makes it all worthwhile.

some times I'm so discouraged I don't get up that early, lol. I've been reading all the posts and it seems I'm not alone. I got to talking hunting with a guy at work yesterday that's on the same level of hunting I am and it kind of got me fired back up again sharing stories. I've got 2 buddies I hunt with but they aren't hardcore hunters like I once was. its always oh this guy on outdoor channel said this or this commercial said that. turkey seasons coming up so maybe ill do that alone and see if that helps me.

I absolutely love being out and seeing the day wake up or the day end. But I like it best when I am attempting to kill something or helping someone kill something. Not often do I set up decoys or stands just to watch. I respect others views,just curious if some set up a stand just to observe?

Quote: I look at harvesting animals(NOT KILLING)on our farm as part of the farming for wildlife.

This is something else I don't get. Do people call it harvesting to make themselves feel better about it? Trying to be PC, or make it seem different than it is? Call it farming for wildlife if you want, but you can't "harvest" that animal without killing it...it's what we do, and who we are. Embrace it, be proud of it, no need to wring your hands in concern for what others might think, be secure in the knowledge that you are in the right...

This is something else I don't get. Do people call it harvesting to make themselves feel better about it? Trying to be PC, or make it seem different than it is? Call it farming for wildlife if you want, but you can't "harvest" that animal without killing it...it's what we do, and who we are. Embrace it, be proud of it, no need to wring your hands in concern for what others might think, be secure in the knowledge that you are in the right... [/quote]
I am sorry , but I don't agree with you on this. Hunters are not the majority and being loud and proud will not keep you out there doing what we love to do , but being polite and none abrasive will do lots more. It is better to tip toe around problems and keep your hunting rights instead of stirring up those that , especially , are on the fence about these things. Yes , this is a hunting site but your words can be copied and pasted in seconds and be up on other sites so being used to using language that shows respect to the animals and others feelings is how we are going to exist just like how a fox learns to live inside city limits without becoming public enemy number one . Not saying not to stand up for your beliefs and feelings , just don't bring any grief on yourself and your hunting brothers. Apologies to the OP. Jim

Being timid, and quiet are danged sure not going to preserve the heritage that we love. Fearfully sitting in the shadows wringing our hands worrying about what others think isn't a solution. Be open, honest, and informed. Tell them what you do, why you do it, and explain the benefits of it. Tip toeing around gives the impression that you think what you are doing is something to be ashamed of, and if you are ashamed of it, how can you defend it? Anyone may feel free to take my words anywhere they would like, as I speak only the truth, and I'm comfortable in my knowledge and ability to defend what I say. You really think its more palatable to say you harvested an animal, than to just admit you killed it? How exactly does that show more respect? I remember the first time I heard it, and it conjured up images of running over a deer with a combine... As far as respect, my respect for the animals I choose to hunt far outstrips that of any of the antis, not only do I spend far more of my time educating myself about theses animals, their habits, needs, preferences, and behaviors, I also contribute far more financially to their conservation.

I hate to break it to you bud, but the antis are already out there, and they already want to take away your rights. They are active, and loudly vocal, and meekly skulking along in the shadows is no way to counter that.

Originally Posted By: spiderman

This is something else I don't get. Do people call it harvesting to make themselves feel better about it? Trying to be PC, or make it seem different than it is? Call it farming for wildlife if you want, but you can't "harvest" that animal without killing it...it's what we do, and who we are. Embrace it, be proud of it, no need to wring your hands in concern for what others might think, be secure in the knowledge that you are in the right...
I am sorry , but I don't agree with you on this. Hunters are not the majority and being loud and proud will not keep you out there doing what we love to do , but being polite and none abrasive will do lots more. It is better to tip toe around problems and keep your hunting rights instead of stirring up those that , especially , are on the fence about these things. Yes , this is a hunting site but your words can be copied and pasted in seconds and be up on other sites so being used to using language that shows respect to the animals and others feelings is how we are going to exist just like how a fox learns to live inside city limits without becoming public enemy number one . Not saying not to stand up for your beliefs and feelings , just don't bring any grief on yourself and your hunting brothers. Apologies to the OP. Jim [/quote]

I agree 110% with you jim! no apologies needed. I have had people call me a hillbilly, killer, etc and I say I'm sorry but your mistaken I'm an outdoorsman! in todays age when you walk into a Wal-Mart wearing camo head to toe you get looks of disgust. I seldom do this but there's always the time when your heading out or coming home and its easier to stop on the way. I've got a buddy that will talk to non hunters about hunting, try and change their mind etc and yes we should be proud of it but don't push the issue. I was taught at a young age hunting is a privilege not a right. do I agree with this statement somewhat. your right we are not the majority and we must lurk in the shadows to keep the sport alive! went to McDonalds by our hunting land and I take my bibs and camo coat off and my buddy decides he's going to walk in wearing camo head to toe, orange vest, and a knife hanging on his hip. out of 10 people in the restaurant 8 of them kept looking at us so I grabbed my food and went to the truck. I don't plaster my truck with deer stickers etc cause it draws unwanted attention. the internet is forever as jim stated anything can be copied and posted and used against us. if someone calls me a killer I say we are all killers I know that deer I HARVESTED had a decent life and not pinned in a corral and beaten and poked etc until it was killed. in the hunting world down low is the way to go cause there are more non hunters than hunters. go up to a co worker and say I killed a deer and see what kind of look you get. people ask me when I come back from vacation and they know where I go and what I do and I say yeah we got a few or yeah I got one. I hear other guys oh man I Killed this buck and he was walking through and I was 30ft up my tree stand and I dropped the hammer on him and he ran 100yards and I had to track him for 2 hours. not something non hunters understand. here's a scenario at work a co worker was described as the old guy by someone and the "old guy" thought It would be funny to joke with the person about it and it caused some issues, you really gotta watch whats said because even though the old guy didn't take offense the other guy did. upon talking to him about it he says well I didn't mean it that way and sent out emails cause you gotta cover your butt and watch what you say and do in todays society.

Last edited:
I respect y'all's opinion, and right to keep it on the "down low" if that's what you feel is appropriate for you. I just hope that you appreciate that there are others who are willing to stand in the light, and answer questions, and defend your rights (or privileges) from those who wish to take them from you, because I promise, no matter how in the shadows you think you are, they know you are there, and they are coming for you.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014wearing camo head to toe, orange vest, and a knife hanging on his hip. out of 10 people in the restaurant 8 of them kept looking at us so I grabbed my food and went to the truck.

you left because some people were looking at you? be a cold day in he11 before i let some gawking people cause me to leave a place like freaking mcdonalds. mcdonalds where people wear pajamas, clothes 3 sizes to small, tattoed, pierced, spiked hair, green hair, REAL freaks.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014wearing camo head to toe, orange vest, and a knife hanging on his hip. out of 10 people in the restaurant 8 of them kept looking at us so I grabbed my food and went to the truck.

you left because some people were looking at you? be a cold day in he11 before i let some gawking people cause me to leave a place like freaking mcdonalds. mcdonalds where people wear pajamas, clothes 3 sizes to small, tattoed, pierced, spiked hair, green hair, REAL freaks.

yep, just didn't want to deal with the b s. this is a small town in amish country so there aren't pierced, green hair goofballs running around.

Originally Posted By: RockinUBeing timid, and quiet are danged sure not going to preserve the heritage that we love. Fearfully sitting in the shadows wringing our hands worrying about what others think isn't a solution. Be open, honest, and informed. Tell them what you do, why you do it, and explain the benefits of it. Tip toeing around gives the impression that you think what you are doing is something to be ashamed of, and if you are ashamed of it, how can you defend it? Anyone may feel free to take my words anywhere they would like, as I speak only the truth, and I'm comfortable in my knowledge and ability to defend what I say...
...As far as respect, my respect for the animals I choose to hunt far outstrips that of any of the antis...

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand the antis and never let them influence my actions. The ones that I have had unfortunate opportunity to interact with on the internet can all go to [beeep], they're despicable people.

Camouflage is more respectable than a lot of crap people wear. I've never had anyone react negatively to me wearing camo, but I couldn't care less if they have. In fact it started a conversation or two with fellow hunters. One nice older lady even said that the sage print was really pretty (in fact that was in a McDonald's as well) lol

Don't fear the antis, they thrive on being the loudest, not the smartest.

Last edited:
You all have made some excellent comments about hunting and being hunters. As all of us being hunters we agree on this. You also made comments that do not help our cause . I have had Media training through the National Trappers Association on how to deal with hard core Antis at national conventions as well as general public . One main thing you have to show is respect for others that are not in our fraternity because we have to show our best side at all times to the most important group of all....the ones on the fence not sure if what we do is ok or not as they have nothing to form an opinion on til they talk to or see one or more of our "members". These are the ones easily swayed to vote one way or another on issues about our many sports. They have the power to keep you hunting or stop you . They are the majority, not us or the antis . A hunter that goes into a convenience store with blood on his camo and offends the people that sees him being "loud and proud" give all of us a black eye. .... Same guy goes in with nice clean camo ( I do it often) and holds the door for some lady all dressed up , gives us (sportsmen) the opposite of the black eye and maybe gave them a good opinion of us or even better yet , changed the bad opinion they had to a good one. This , my friends , is the message I am trying to convey to you. Jim

And to the original poster , I too have mellowed with time . I hate that first shot I take in the woods knowing that after the sound of the shot , I will see fewer of the most timid or wary animals doing their natural things. Going to the woods without a gun takes away the decision to take game or not and I love doing this but always wish I had a gun along , just because , so I carry my old .22 Stevens model 35 single shot pistol to make me feel "complete" . Young hunters like to get game so this is needed to bring them into the "user" sports , where game is taken but the enjoyment of just being out there and seeing first hand what is going on with any one or many different species of game animals is fulfilling and shows "new" hunters what it is to be a true sportsman and that we take caring for wild animals seriously and their condition and environment they inhabit. I like to do daytime coon calling with my son and don't feel bad to take them as I am in the woods all year long and see all of the dead coons near their den trees and streams from disease from their high populations so better add them to my fur check than add them to the ground as rotted carcasses . Jim

Back