different feelings about hunting.

Been hunting and shooting about 65 years, a few states and Africa. Once had a hard time explaining to a guy why? He finally said "must be couse you like it" I thought a few moments and said "no, not really, it's just plain hard work" then I remembered a quote from Sitting Bull "when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, because we are hunters" that about sums it up for me, I don't get emotional about it, I just either do it or don't

When I was a kid I had a blood lust that blocked out a lot of the elements I now enjoy while out hunting… I wanted to go out and fire a bunch of rounds and kill... as I get older I have slowed down… I still have to hunt but I don't have to kill every time I go out... I have lost interest in hunting most of the stuff I used to hunt... Deer, predators and occasionally turkey are all I hunt anymore...

Our kind does have a genetic predisposition to do what our ancestors had to do to survive... I will admit I feel no remorse when i do what nature designed me to do... Mature deer and predators still get my heart racing... without the intent to kill, hunting just turns into armed nature walking…

I think Tommy P hit the nail on the head. I recently became a Hunter Ed instructor. Very rewarding, and met some great folks. There is a real need for classes in most states, and these are not all kids, these are new hunters, the last class was about 12% female. Think about it.

I actually will pass on coyote pups, non-prime animals, and badgers often. I pass on badgers, sometimes even prime because it takes too long to flesh them. I'll sit and watch for a while. There's nothing wrong with respecting nature. It's why we do what we do- an excuse to be outdoors. I've taken this week to clean out my freezer and put up my fur. I count well- put up fur as also a way of showing respect to the animals I hunt/trap.

If you find yourself drawn to the PETA website, get psychological help.
smile.gif

I've always believed a true hunter is born not made. I literally started hunting at about 3 years of age in the back yard. I hunted anything that moved from birds to bugs. I did mange to get a few bugs. By age 5 I had graduated to hunting with a paring knife snagged from the kitchen drawer. That summer I got a lesson in survival and the ways of nature when I tried to kill a Canada goose caught up in a wire fence. I was beaten. blue and bruised when it finally flew off and very fortunate I hadn't stabbed myself with that stupid paring knife.
scared.gif

I didn't fare much better when I leaped screaming out of the tall grass onto a mallard hen with her ducklings in the ditch.
Nearly stabbed a whole through my rubber boots.
scared.gif

I've hunted all my life and still hunt today albeit a lot slower.

I do not go anywhere without looking out the window of the truck at the passing scenery without thinking "I could make a stand there, or that would be a great spot to set up a blind to train my retriever."

It's in my DNA.

Until I turned 5 I was a wannabe hunter on our midwestern farm. At 5 I was given a Red Rider and I became a lean mean killin' machine. At age 7 I had saved enough to get my first of many 22 rifles and I never looked back.

Hunting is what I do. A hunter is what I am. I am not wasteful but don't doubt whether or not I'm doing the right thing either and I'm on the far side of 60 now.

Life is good and the hunter always has something to do and places to go. He/she is often alone but never lonely. He/she is often worried but never afraid. He/she is the most loved and respected of all people in primitive societies or when civilation collapses.

To hunt is to truly live and know what the meaning of life really is.

$bob$

I hope the feelings you are getting never come my way. I told a buddy who I was late season bowhunting with after we doubled on does, "I hope I never get tired of this." I live to hunt and like mentioned above, look out the window and think about hunting everywhere I go. If your heart is not in it then sell your stuff and move on and take up fishing.

That Sitting Bull quote rocks.

I started out hunting every chance I got.Back then it was small game upland birds and waterfowl.Always went with friends and a dog or two.When I started deer hunting we traveled/camped together but hunted alone.For years I was ok with that but the last few years I hunt less and less.A couple close friends have passed.For me that has a lot to do with it.Moreso than age or feelings about killing.I still look forward to the opening days but that drive soon fades.

I will turn 60 this year. I was raised in a large city. I moved to 18 acres when I was 48, and until then, had never shot a rifle. No one else in my family ever hunted or engaged in any outdoor activities. I shot the grand total of one deer. Had to learn everything on my own, made a gut shot, neighbor helped track it and finish it off. Bought a cross-bow but never got over the slow death thing. When I was 50, we bought a 466 acre farm in a neighboring state. I have put in food plots and tree stands, but have never hunted it. Killed one groundhog by my pole barn. DNR out there told me I should NEVER be afield without a gun. Part of my property is wetland and burrowing rodents can destroy the water retaining berms. I look at hunting as a big job/responsibility. Like most things in life, when you don't HAVE to do it, it's fun. When you have to do, it's a job, and you don't like it. I will kill, but only varmints, and only when they are in my space or damaging my property.

Deer hunting especially is a dying sport. The odds against it are overwhelming. The farmers want the deer dead due to crop loss. The insurance industry wants deer dead (hence the focus on CWD) to reduce payouts for deer/vehicle collisions. The anti-gunners and our government don't want us to have guns at all, and our children have been programmed to believe that their food comes from the grocery store and Mickey D's.

The situation we are all in is not uncommon. I have a friend who has killed hundreds of deer mostly with a recurve and fingers. He was also a very prolific trapper. Several years back, he and his SO had two deer they raised in their HOUSE. Even had a raccoon in their house. He is about 53 YO. Last I talked to him he was PO'd that a friend poorly arrowed a deer. He helped track it and finished it off with a knife. He said he does not believe he has another deer in him.

Apparently what we are going through is not uncommon, and is a natural point in the bell curve of life.

Perhaps get your testosterone levels checked?

I'm just kidding
smile.gif

Only gun I had as a kid was a bb gun. I was raised in a liberal household so I wasnt taught much. First firearm I shot wasn't until I was in the military. I always wanted to get into hunting but never really knew where to get started, as dumb as that sounds.
I got started a few years ago when a coworker asked if I wanted to go calling for coyotes. Although we never called anything in I was hooked. Since then I've pretty much taught myself using this site and personal experience. Now I'm the one giving him tips and advice on calling.

I'm just now looking into getting into deer hunting.

I'm not going out just to kill things. I don't hate coyotes, but I understand the damage they do. They are smart animals and to successfully call them in sometimes takes a good understanding of their thought process and behavior. Now when I'm bringing my dogs out I enjoy watching their interaction more so than killing the coyotes.

My daughters will be raised with a good understanding of hunting if I can help it. They love to go calling but are really distracted at their age.

I'm the OP and just wanted to say thanks guys. I tried talking to my best friend and hunting pal about this and got made fun of. He says ill always hunt, ill always kill stuff. funny thing is I'm the one who at 25yo got him into hunting so its not like he knew it from the start. I used to love to fish but don't do that much anymore because some of the public ponds and lakes are over fished. I don't do the lake because I drown when younger and cant swim so the lake terrifies me. there was times even when fishing I would have fun catching blue gill and that's when I was an adult. when I was younger ill admit if I seen a deer and god forbid it was running I was like Rambo spraying and praying and ended up wounding a few and never thought twice about it and as I got older I calmed down and learned to watch the deer, coyote, etc and take my time, get calmed down and take an ethical shot. when I shot my first deer I could find a few years ago I was so pumped when he came by and I shot and wounded him, I watched as he hobbled away and got farther away and I threw another round at him and missed then he got about 130yards out and I said to myself calm your ..... down! I dropped him and I was so pumped climbed down and began to celebrate and when I walked over to him eyes wide open 2 holes in him I said to my buddy I cant do this anymore. I found out the next day my scope wasn't holding zero that well and that's why I made a bad shot. the next year I started bow hunting again and would shoot every day for hours to make sure I wouldn't wound something again, my buddy began bow hunting and thought cause he shoots 30 arrows here and there he's good. this made me so mad! I told him if you go out with me and wound a deer because your lazy and wont practice we will have a problem. he says you've changed, you take this too serious, my reply was I've learned over the years that I owe that animal the right to be put down cleanly and not suffer. I still bow hunt but once I get in the tree my mind starts telling me its not right, I envision the deer or yote running with an arrow sticking out of it and laying down bleeding to death. most the time I just sit there to be away from the house. I just started yote hunting the last few years and this winter I had one respond to howls from my caller and come and sit on the edge of the field and I didn't shoot him because I thought to myself man that's pretty cool and why am I going to shoot this thing for no reason? I cant eat it, he will lay there and decay. other times I'm all for it and drop em without thought but afterwards it bothers me a few times I have given the animal away to a buddy because I couldn't bring myself to field dress it. I think this year I'm going to take a break and fish. maybe then I will get my fire back. as for pass the tradition on the a youth I don't have kids. and my brothers and sisters kids don't like hunting they are to worried about video games. I know this is kind of a weird topic for a hunting site and I appreciate all the advice and stories you guys shared.

I don't really get the hang up on a quick death. Sure, every effort should always be made for as quick and easy a death as possible, that should be the goal of every ethical hunter, but bad shots happen...do your best to quickly remedy them and all is good. Nature is merciless, she has no compassion and gives no quarter. A badly botched shot is often much kinder and humane a death than nature and her predators give. Do the best you can, and make every effort to do it the right way, and don't sweat the rest of it. Nothing goes to waste in nature.

You just need a new challenge to get you fired up about killing again. I decided a couple of years ago that the greatest motivation I could have to kill would be to eat. We stopped buying any type of meat from the grocery store. I have to kill and catch enough to provide for a family of four throughout the year and that's alot of meat. It definitely adds pressure and that keeps my fire lit about killing. Of course this won't work for you if you happen to be a vegan or vegetarian. Hope you get the killing desire back.

Ohihunter, I know that exact feeling, except in relation to my downhill skiing. I love bombing the hills in Colorado as hard as I can, but back in 2000 I realized it meant nothing to me, sitting in the car alone in the parking lot. I actually just drove back home. Since then, I go with friends or rarely at all, but I love the heck out of skiing! My suggestion to you is to acknowledge the fact that hunting has lost it luster to you at this point . . . and That's OK! Let it set for a year off. Don't sell your stuff. Just take a year off. The good news is you're at that age where you can enjoy "others", be it friends, your wife, or your kids. We are created as socially minded, heart felt beings in the image of GOD! We were made to thrive as a TEAM. Find some new outlet, socially, and give your hunting a break. I promise you'll miss it after a year or so off, and you'll likely bring others back to where you left off. All the best, in Christ, -Mike

It is very interesting to read the many different reasons that we hunt. I dont kill the number of deer that i used to. The reason is I have proven to myself that am proficient at it and I have grown to understand that my goals are how not how many. Killing a wild animal does not any negative effects on me as long as I do it by my standards and the law. Without killing we are observers and not participants. There is no wrong ethical method of hunting as long as you are satisfied with your results. But I must kill to be a hunter.

For Myself, I rarely Big Game hunt although I could. Anymore I don't even shoot Rabbits as often as before its more fun to see My dogs chase them in a fruitless race. . I do however enjoy taking the predators that would otherwise take the food off of the table of those that do like hunting edible game. That's just Me however.

The only thing that bothers me is wounding a critter. It makes me sick to my stomach but unfortunately it happens sometimes. I don't like missing either but I'd rather flat out miss than wound something. As far as killing goes it doesn't bother me. Just as long as it dies quickly that's all I'm worried about. The only thing I've really noticed change about me when it comes to hunting is I don't worry about being the one droppin the hammer on a critter. I like calling and watching other people shoot just as much. I've killed alot.....I mean ALOT of stuff in my life so I don't worry about gettin trigger time too much. I let things pass more often too. I used to kill everything that crossed my path and was legal to kill for a long time. Not so much anymore. But I'm all grown and have to buy my own ammo so that might have alot to do with it. I don't have a soft spot for certain critters but in a way I guess I grew out of killing everything that moves. Not by choice....it just happened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkiDaddyOhihunter, I know that exact feeling, except in relation to my downhill skiing. I love bombing the hills in Colorado as hard as I can, but back in 2000 I realized it meant nothing to me, sitting in the car alone in the parking lot. I actually just drove back home. Since then, I go with friends or rarely at all, but I love the heck out of skiing! My suggestion to you is to acknowledge the fact that hunting has lost it luster to you at this point . . . and That's OK! Let it set for a year off. Don't sell your stuff. Just take a year off. The good news is you're at that age where you can enjoy "others", be it friends, your wife, or your kids. We are created as socially minded, heart felt beings in the image of GOD! We were made to thrive as a TEAM. Find some new outlet, socially, and give your hunting a break. I promise you'll miss it after a year or so off, and you'll likely bring others back to where you left off. All the best, in Christ, -Mike

I found myself doing this the last few years. I drive 3hrs to deer camp for gun week and the last few years I almost feel like I have to go or have something to prove and drive all the way there and end up hunting 1 day and come home. I try and go coyote hunt or small game hunt and end up either going home or walk in a few hundred yards do 1 set and go home.

Back