different feelings about hunting.

Quote:if someone calls me a killer I say we are all killers I know that deer I HARVESTED had a decent life and not pinned in a corral and beaten and poked etc until it was killed.

What does this even mean? What animals, much less what deer, are penned in a corral, beaten, poked, etc., before its killed? I'm not sure how you think life for a wild deer is, but I don't think it's as Disney as you seem to be thinking it is.

Let's keep this original post going it was very interesting till it took the turn to another. I had the same thoughts 10 years ago or so and I like reading the posts about how people change and evolve as there hunting careers go from the start to the present time in there lives.

Sorry for the hijack, defending my hunting heritage is something I'm very passionate about, I will bow out of the thread...

Originally Posted By: RockinUQuote:if someone calls me a killer I say we are all killers I know that deer I HARVESTED had a decent life and not pinned in a corral and beaten and poked etc until it was killed.

What does this even mean? What animals, much less what deer, are penned in a corral, beaten, poked, etc., before its killed? I'm not sure how you think life for a wild deer is, but I don't think it's as Disney as you seem to be thinking it is.

it means that deer had a [beeep] of a better life than the cow or pig antis eat being beaten and pinned up. I know wild animals don't have a Disney life but it sure is better than being pinned up where they cant move all day and poked and beaten. as far as all of us being killers if you are anti hunting and eat meat your just as bad as me. I eat everything I kill except varmints that damage property or take something else's life. id rather eat that than store bought stuff. my food had a better life so don't judge me kinda statement.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: RockinUQuote:if someone calls me a killer I say we are all killers I know that deer I HARVESTED had a decent life and not pinned in a corral and beaten and poked etc until it was killed.

it means that deer had a [beeep] of a better life than the cow or pig antis eat being beaten and pinned up. I know wild animals don't have a Disney life but it sure is better than being pinned up where they cant move all day and poked and beaten. as far as all of us being killers if you are anti hunting and eat meat your just as bad as me. I eat everything I kill except varmints that damage property or take something else's life. id rather eat that than store bought stuff. my food had a better life so don't judge me kinda statement.

Since this was addresses directly to me, I will take the time to answer. I also have some direct experience since I raise beef cattle, and have been in the cow business most of my life, and all I can say is that you have watched some really messed up PETA propaganda films if that is how you think cattle are raised...but knowing that is what you believe, the statement that I questioned makes a lot more sense.

Originally Posted By: RockinUOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: RockinUQuote:if someone calls me a killer I say we are all killers I know that deer I HARVESTED had a decent life and not pinned in a corral and beaten and poked etc until it was killed.

Since this was addresses directly to me, I will take the time to answer. I also have some direct experience since I raise beef cattle, and have been in the cow business most of my life, and all I can say is that you have watched some really messed up PETA propaganda films if that is how you think cattle are raised...but knowing that is what you believe, the statement that I questioned makes a lot more sense.

not everyone cares about their live stock such as you. I have hunted a few beef and dairy farms and live by a lot of them and I see them always pinned up with maybe 10ftx10ft to move. some of them let them roam around but there is no grass for them its nothing but a muddy swamp.

That's sad. Texas has between 11 million and 12 million head of cattle, that's close to 14% of the U.S.'s herd, and nearly twice as much as the next closest state, and I don't see that at all. Even in the feedlots where they are finished I don't see cattle in 10x10 pens, and can't imagine what the motive would be for doing that, profit is hard to come by without grass. Guess things are different in Ohio. Dairies are a whole different deal, their management is pretty intensive, but I don't think beating and poking are a big component.

Anyway, thread drift is getting out of control, so I will say I hope you re-find your joy, or find something else that gives you the feelings you've lost. Good luck.

I wasn't going to say anything about this but looked in my pocket and found a couple pennies in there -so here goes.I have been hunting since I was 14,I'm now 64.like you I started hunting everything-small game -big game-waterfowl etc.I eat what I shoot except predators and woodchuck.over the years I've weeded out some of the things I shoot for one reason or another.hunting is a management tool-it helps keep things in checks and balances.if we didn't hunt things would get way out of wack and mother nature will step in,and when she does-well its not pretty.over population usually brings starvation-disease etc.I could go on and on but that's why I hunt.to enjoy the harvest of what I shoot and to help keep things in balance.Now about the feelings part of your post.I don't enjoy seeing an animal that I shot suffer either,but that's on me.with todays equipment we have at our disposal,if I shoot at something and don't kill it humanly-my bad-I didn't do my Job and as hard as I try sometimes [beeep] happens and I don't kill the animal with one good shot.when this happens l quickly follow up with another shot so the animal doesn't suffer.this is why I hunt,to do my part and to enjoy some of mother natures bounty.if I didn't look at it that way I would feel like you do.hope your feelings change and you can enjoy hunting once again.good luck

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014pinned up where they cant move all day and poked and beaten.

cattle? in feedlots? they pay people to do that all day? why would they do that? never seen that in the feedlots around here.

Originally Posted By: RockinUBeing timid, and quiet are danged sure not going to preserve the heritage that we love. Fearfully sitting in the shadows wringing our hands worrying about what others think isn't a solution. Be open, honest, and informed. Tell them what you do, why you do it, and explain the benefits of it. Tip toeing around gives the impression that you think what you are doing is something to be ashamed of, and if you are ashamed of it, how can you defend it? Anyone may feel free to take my words anywhere they would like, as I speak only the truth, and I'm comfortable in my knowledge and ability to defend what I say. You really think its more palatable to say you harvested an animal, than to just admit you killed it? How exactly does that show more respect? I remember the first time I heard it, and it conjured up images of running over a deer with a combine... As far as respect, my respect for the animals I choose to hunt far outstrips that of any of the antis, not only do I spend far more of my time educating myself about theses animals, their habits, needs, preferences, and behaviors, I also contribute far more financially to their conservation.

I hate to break it to you bud, but the antis are already out there, and they already want to take away your rights. They are active, and loudly vocal, and meekly skulking along in the shadows is no way to counter that.

thumbup1.gif
I'm not even a little bit bashful about it either, and I'll stand toe to toe with the mouthiest of the antis there might be. Fact is, they sure as [beeep] aren't the majority either. The majority consists of those that don't really care one way or the other, and sitting back letting the antis have their way, is only going to allow the antis to sway the majority's opinion to their cause. If you don't speak up and educate the general public, they will; and what they teach them will serve only their purpose, and support only their cause.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I agree 110% with you jim! no apologies needed. I have had people call me a hillbilly, killer, etc and I say I'm sorry but your mistaken I'm an outdoorsman! in todays age when you walk into a Wal-Mart wearing camo head to toe you get looks of disgust. I seldom do this but there's always the time when your heading out or coming home and its easier to stop on the way.

Apparently the folks in Walmart have higher standards in Ohio than they have elsewhere. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/category/location/oh/ --- Not!!!

Here in North Florida 75% of the people wandering around Walmart are wearing something camo, if they don't have it on, it's in their vehicle, or on their vehicle. Half the employees are wearing something Camo. And, that's all year, not during hunting season. During hunting season, even the little old ladies wear camo.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I've got a buddy that will talk to non hunters about hunting, try and change their mind etc and yes we should be proud of it but don't push the issue. I was taught at a young age hunting is a privilege not a right. do I agree with this statement somewhat. your right we are not the majority and we must lurk in the shadows to keep the sport alive! went to McDonalds by our hunting land and I take my bibs and camo coat off and my buddy decides he's going to walk in wearing camo head to toe, orange vest, and a knife hanging on his hip. out of 10 people in the restaurant 8 of them kept looking at us so I grabbed my food and went to the truck. I don't plaster my truck with deer stickers etc cause it draws unwanted attention.

You know, the more you talk about all this the more it sounds like your problem would appear to be that you're a closet PETA member looking to bust out and tell all of us how terrible we are for hunting. While I and many of us would agree with maturing as hunters and growing away from blood lust, no one else is here worrying about what any [beeep] body in Walmart or McDonalds thinks of their attire. If you are that ashamed of your hunting heritage; are that fearful that someone might mistake you for a hunter; are so scared that you might be identified as someone that kills little animals, that you have to remove your camo clothing every time you go in a store, lurk in the shadows, hide your feelings, and apologize for speaking of killing anything in pursuit of the sport, maybe you should give up the sport altogether.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014the internet is forever as jim stated anything can be copied and posted and used against us. if someone calls me a killer I say we are all killers I know that deer I HARVESTED had a decent life and not pinned in a corral and beaten and poked etc until it was killed. in the hunting world down low is the way to go cause there are more non hunters than hunters. go up to a co worker and say I killed a deer and see what kind of look you get.

Boy you do live in a f....ed up world, don't you!! All of my co-workers have pictures of them with their deer kills posted all over the internet! If I go up to one of them and tell them, "I killed a deer.", they're all gonna smile, and ask how many points he had first, where'd you kill him second, what gun you use and how far away was he third, then ask how much sausage I'm having made, and who I'm having make it. Then I'm going to have to listen half a dozen people talk about the one they shot last weekend, and look at all the pictures on their cell phones.

Your opinion of livestock sounds very PETAish as well. While I have seen a few penned animals in my 57 years existence on this earth, there was typically a reason they were penned, and no one pokes and prods at a penned animal on the farm all day, they have better things to do. The fact that you may have seen them penned and being poked or prodded, does not mean it goes on all day, it means it goes on at the instance you saw it. NO ONE, and I will repeat, NO ONE is so bored in life that they go out and wade around in knee deep mud and cow [beeep] poking critters all day for amusement.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014people ask me when I come back from vacation and they know where I go and what I do and I say yeah we got a few or yeah I got one. I hear other guys oh man I Killed this buck and he was walking through and I was 30ft up my tree stand and I dropped the hammer on him and he ran 100yards and I had to track him for 2 hours. not something non hunters understand.

So you would rather lurk, letting the antis describe that scenario as cruel, heartless, and inhumane to the unknowing, rather than point out, in nature kills are often chased for miles, ran until they can go no more, then torn apart mercilessly, screaming and kicking until they bleed to death, are strangled, or disemboweled.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014 here's a scenario at work a co worker was described as the old guy by someone and the "old guy" thought It would be funny to joke with the person about it and it caused some issues, you really gotta watch whats said because even though the old guy didn't take offense the other guy did. upon talking to him about it he says well I didn't mean it that way and sent out emails cause you gotta cover your butt and watch what you say and do in todays society.

Yep... that's exactly the way the liberals want you to feel. Apologize for your existence on the planet, you worthless dweeb, sit the corner, in the dark, do not speak you unintelligent lifeform you are not worthy of inhabiting this planet, the mere gases you exhale are causing the planet to warm at an exponential rate, only liberals and animals are entitled to an opinion on anything.

You don't have a hunting problem dude, you're too busy lurking and apologizing for existing to blame it on hunting. Either grow a set of Cajones and get on with your life, or move to an environment that is more friendly and accepting of the things you do.

Yeah, I thought at first it was gonna get ugly, then there was a page or two that I could really identify with. I grew up bear hunting; no other form of hunting has ever held the adrenaline rush for me that it does for many, although I have tried and do enjoy the pursuit of numerous other game animals. And, the older I get, the less need I find to hunt anything.

But then I hit these posts preaching about needing to change clothes before walking into Wally World or McDonalds, and how we're supposed to lurk quietly in the shadows to retain our hunting priviledges, and be afraid of saying, acting, or otherwise identifying as a hunter at work, and personally, I draw a line in the sand there. I really don't care who recognizes me as a hunter, I wear camo in public fairly often, I'm not afraid to engage anyone in conversation on the topic, nor am I afraid to try and educate those who are neither anti or pro hunting. Someone has to engage them; neglecting to do so, simply allows the anti hunting crowd to drag them all to their side.

I am absolutely certain, that lurking and hiding will not resolve the issues we're seeing with attempts to halt coyote hunting contests in the west! Sitting back silently and allowing the antis to push their agenda is not going to lead more contests. But, that is exactly what they hope we will do.

You know as a kid... In Oklahoma you had to check your deer at a check-in station... Opening morning of rifle season I remember trucks lined up at the weighing scale... Hog dressed with gaping chest wounds and bullets holes, these deer were individually suspended by their legs by a rope attached to the scale... As a kid I would stand tall in the truck bed helping lift my deer to the scales... At times they had wildlife biologist/students that had this metal L shaped tool to extract a jaw bone to age the deer being "harvested"... They inserted it into its mouth and I was amazed out how loud the crack was as it broke its jaw with such ease... After I would go into the store to get a carcass tag and hot chocolate... We did not go home and change clothes before we did this.. Being only half grown it would take me going over elbow deep trying to reach into the Deer and get a good grip on the wind pipe to tear it out... I wiped the blood off my hands on my pants... In line at the store for my hot chocolate and carcass tag you could tell who had successful hunts by the blood on their clothes.. If I remember correctly we made absolutely zero attempt to be low key or hide what we where doing... This was a public gas station on highway 412 running through Major County, OK...

Times have changed... Now we check in our deer online... That same gas station still has the metal pole the scales used to hang from... I buy coffee instead of hot chocolate... I see that old rusty pole every other day and remember its purpose and growing up underneath it... feeling proud with adrenaline of a successful hunt as a kid... I still feel that feeling of adrenaline after successful hunts and why I still find myself out in that area buying coffee at that store...

I will not hide what I do nor who I am...

there is only one thing more fun than hunting and fishing and I think you men know what that is. no apologies here. I love all three and will continue as long as the Lord allows.

Last edited:
a member of peta! lol yep you caught me red handed. smdh. I don't take my camo off at Wal-Mart because I'm ashamed I take it off because I don't want to look like some jack wagon wondering around the store hey look at me its July and I'm wearing real tree or mossy oak. I have no shame in being a hunter but when you don't live in a hunting community than you have to watch your p-q. as far as talking with co workers I work for a large company and I would say 3 people out of 300-600 that I work with hunt that I know of and they brought it up. I wont walk up to a co worker and say hey you want to see my deer I shot yesterday because what if they don't hunt? it will possibly offend them and they have the right just like we have the right to hunt they have the right to not hunt and not like it. if its a co worker I know hunts they see pics if the non hunter says let me see I let them know they may not like it out of respect for them and show them with their permission. as far as animals being abused I admit I have only seen this a few times. as far as what others have said about check stations etc. we live in a different world, people don't accept the fact of a gutted deer hanging from the tree in the front yard anymore. I read stories about neighbors calling to cops and council because of this. growing up rifle hunting west virginia we hung deer from the tree in the back yard because this is 99% the way of life in that state and I seen nothing wrong with it. hanging an animal carcass when you have neighbors on both sides with kids and its hanging from its neck is f--d up. if your in the country with no close neighbors I'm fine with it. if you guys want to walk around Wal-Mart in July wearing mossy oak pants muck boots and a real tree t shirt more power to you but even as a hunter I say look at this jackass. those of you that want to be keyboard tough guys and accuse me of being peta, not standing up for my rights, not wanting attention drawn to me I'm sorry you feel that way. I support hunting in a different way by attending meetings, seminars, fund raisers etc with people that are into it just like I am. all I was doing in the original thread was venting. I haven't hunted or fished since December and went out yesterday and got my fire back a little. guess maybe I got burned out.

different strokes for different folks. As for me I could not be more proud of the hunter in me. I don't go throwing it in peoples faces but if we cross paths and I have been out hunting all night, you will most likely know that I was out killing critters. I don't wear hunting t-shirts(not that I have a problem with them) just not my style. I don't advertise my sport, but when I go out to hunt and then want to grab breakfast or another box of shells or just a red bull and some smokes you can bet im not ashamed of doing what I do

Back