22 Magnum ammo

For what it cost me I think they are a great scope. Parallax is good about like the Leupold its not as good a scope as the 4x12 you have but I think the Burris cost me $250. Like I say my Ruger 77/17 is about the size of your CZ and it fits the Ruger perfect I think you would like it.

Good looking scope, and the price is good. Thanks for the info on that.

I have been reading about Sightron scopes. They have a rimfire model in a 3x9 that has very good ratings. It's priced about $120.

I like the idea of the Leupold that Marco has, except that the advertised eye relief goes as low as 3", and the price is up there a bit. I like a bit more eye relief, and that's why I phoned Leupold in the first place, to see if I could convert one of my existing scopes to something more rimfire friendly. Fifteen dollars isn't much to get what I want, but on the other hand, I will be dedicating it for rimfire, so would have to be sure that's what I want to do.

I also question if I need more than 9x for a 22 magnum, since it will be a 100 yard gun or under, most likely.

no 6mm the 9X is plenty. I almost got a fixed 6X leupold for my VMBZ when I first got. I'll tell you another good scope for the VMBZ is the Weaver 16X I had one of those on the VMBZ think at the time I gave $235 for it. Nice scope used it for about 4 years and then sold it for $235!

I always steady my shot one way or another shooting stix, tree, Harris Bipod, target shooting I use sand bags, if there is nothing I will shoot prone or sitting legs crossed elbows on knees.

Yea, that's what I meant by my previous statement. I think 9x is plenty too for the 22 mag, and a 3x10 as Chris suggested might be just about ideal. The problem might be finding one that has an appropriate parallax for a rimfire, unless it's an a/o model.

I'm taking a serious look at the Sightron 3x9 I mentioned above. Everyone seems to sing it high praises, and the price is not bad.

Hey David
Got my mail and thank you Very Very intertaining!
I have a Bushnell Banner 4x12x40 AO its perfect on my .22 Mag
thumbup.gif

Has anyone had any luck with the Federal 30gr with the Speer hollowpoint? This round is an absolute tack driver out of my CZ, but I haven't had any game willing to participate in the test yet.

I was able to pick up 10 boxes of it from my local dealer. I sold my 20ga., and had 15 boxes of buckshot. He traded me even for them, so that makes them even sweeter.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Jeff,

Glad you enjoyed. I'll take a look at the Bushnell. Thanks. Check out Opticsplanet.com They have them for under $100 and free shipping...........Thanks Jeff
thumbup.gif

hans1911, the Federal load is the same as the CCI TNT. Factory velocity spec is 2,200fps. but Ive chronoed them at 2,300fps. and it is the most explosive of the 22 magnum rounds! The Win Supreme is a very close second. Ive shot fox squirrels at close range in side 50yds. and the bullet works like a miniature hand grenade! On one big fox squirrel that I skinned I pulled all the fragments and part of the bullet and I almost got 30gr. of bullet an fragments. Now you can't beat that for bullet performance I think you will like this littel round.

Thanks Chris. That's about right for a rimfire.

This evening I phoned Sightron inquiring about the possibility of setting the parallax to my desired distance. No problem was the word, and it's done for free just by sending the scope to them with a note of the distance I would like.

The reason I'm checking into this is due to so many good scopes out there, available in a variety of zoom ranges and with good eye reliefs, only they are set for high power rifles. Seems that both Leupold and Sightron will re-adjust to anything I want. I like that idea.

As you mentioned before, a good 3x10 would be about ideal, but that variable is hard to find in a rimfire model. As well, most rimfire scopes have a smaller objective than I would like. Seems that I can purchase a good quality scope of my choosing an have the parallax set to my liking, without changing the eye relief. I'm interested in that option.

Originally Posted By: marcohans1911, the Federal load is the same as the CCI TNT. Factory velocity spec is 2,200fps. but Ive chronoed them at 2,300fps. and it is the most explosive of the 22 magnum rounds! The Win Supreme is a very close second. Ive shot fox squirrels at close range in side 50yds. and the bullet works like a miniature hand grenade! On one big fox squirrel that I skinned I pulled all the fragments and part of the bullet and I almost got 30gr. of bullet an fragments. Now you can't beat that for bullet performance I think you will like this littel round.

I'd bet that would be pure poison on chest shot woodchucks! --- Mike

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06Thanks Chris. That's about right for a rimfire.

This evening I phoned Sightron inquiring about the possibility of setting the parallax to my desired distance. No problem was the word, and it's done for free just by sending the scope to them with a note of the distance I would like.

The reason I'm checking into this is due to so many good scopes out there, available in a variety of zoom ranges and with good eye reliefs, only they are set for high power rifles. Seems that both Leupold and Sightron will re-adjust to anything I want. I like that idea.

As you mentioned before, a good 3x10 would be about ideal, but that variable is hard to find in a rimfire model. As well, most rimfire scopes have a smaller objective than I would like. Seems that I can purchase a good quality scope of my choosing an have the parallax set to my liking, without changing the eye relief. I'm interested in that option.

Now this is the kind of value-adding post I love to read! Very typical of 6mm/06 I might add! Thanks! -- Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your good words. I don't think I did anything special, but I'm glad it helped you in some good way.

I've got a scope or two that I plan to send off to the companies and have the parallax adjusted to be more rimfire friendly. It's good to know that procedure can be done, and cost little to nothing.

Keep well.

David

Back