22 Magnum ammo

Originally Posted By: 6mm06I've got this one on order right now. I can't wait. I plan to put the new Redfield Revolution on it. Should be one heck of a nice outfit.

Ruger 22 mag.

Ruger7722.jpg

What Model is that David??

Ive got one just like it but with 17HMR black lam stock mine is in 22 magnum, youll love that rifle Ive got the leupold 3x9x32EFR A/O scope shoots Win supremes and CCI Rem, Hornady, V-maxs just great, but likes almost all 22 mag ammo except the tnts. Good luck with it and give it plenty of time for break in, 250 rounds or so clean after 20 rounds for the first 100 then clean every 50 rounds. Do not bed action or very float the barre!

Jeff, I don't remember the specific model number. The gun shop owner let me pick the one I wanted from a catalog and that's the one.

Marco, I know you really like your rifles from our past discussions, and thanks for the tip about cleaning, free-floating etc. I really like the Ruger action and the feel of the gun. It is heavy enough to hold steady, plus I like the 24" barrel. I don't particularly like a light-weight rifle.

I may have to look at another scope option, and the Leupold may be the way to go. I've been looking at, with interest, the new Redfield, though I know it's parallex is not set for a rimfire. I've also been looking at the Burris Timberline.

How is the eye relief on the Leupold you have? Seems I saw some specs on it and it's shorter than the usual Leupold relief on the other line of scopes.

6mmo6, the scope fits me real good I like it alot eye relief is like all leupold works very good. I have the Burris Timberline also but have to say the leupold is a beter scope but its dang near $150 more than the timber line. Good luck with your new rifle and if you have any questions let me know.

Mine just says All Weather 77/22 mag I've had mine a long time great guns. Many a fox has met his match with mine. I paid 300.00 for mine back in the 90s now they retail for 600.00+ the model number is K77/22VMBZ

Last edited:
VaPredHunter, What ammo does your VMBZ like? Mine shoots the Win 34gr.Supremes the best then the V-max ammo but shoots pretty much all 22 mag ammo good. It does not like the TNTs.

You know mine is isn't very picky either, it shoots most ammo well. I just like the 33gr. V-max Rems the best. The TNT's shoot great they group about the same as the V-max. I sighted it in at 50yds I get dime size or smaller 5 shot groups at 50 and quarter size at 100 with a 2-7 power scope if I were to put a higher power scope on it the 100 yd groups would shrink some I would guess. With the standard ammo groups grow a little but not much.

my 4 year old son shot his first hog with a 22 mag thursday 180 lb boar a 40 yards in the shoulder with a rem 33 grain v max he hit the ground a$$ first and never moved

Originally Posted By: 6mm06I've got this one on order right now. I can't wait. I plan to put the new Redfield Revolution on it. Should be one heck of a nice outfit.

Ruger 22 mag.

Ruger7722.jpg

I've had that same gun for over 15 years now, and it is by far the most accurate rimfire i have ever shot. It will shoot the 34 grain Winchester supremes into 3/8" group at 100 yards. I've been challanged many-a-time to prove it, and it has NEVER let me down. I own more guns than any one would ever need, and to this day that VMBZ is by far my favorite. I hope yours shoots just as well. Very addicting to shoot.
smile.gif

You guys really have me "slobbering at the mouth" with anticipation over the new rifle. Hopefully I'll have it soon - it's on lay-a-way, and I hope it shoots as good as yours does. It sure is a fine looking and feeling rifle.

Has anyone used CCI Maxi-Mags 40gr. with any success? I may have overlooked some previous comments in this post, and please forgive me if I'm asking again.

I got my VMBZ 22 magnum after I read and article in Guns $ Ammo by G.Sitton think that was is name? Anyway this guy was testing the VMBZ and it shot very good I think he shot some three shot groups at 100yds. with the CCI Maxi Maxs that went under 1/2"! The thing I liked best about the article was on the front page a picture of him the Ruger VMBZ and a big Texas gobbler! He said he shot the gobbler with the 40gr. HP Maxi Maxs and one shot put him down. It wasnt long after that I had one VMBZ at my house and its been here ever since! Good luck with your VMBZ 6mm06. We should start are own club 6mm you can be our first Pooba!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Marco, only if I don't have to wear one of those funny looking hats, you know, with the "fezz." Oh Why Not......I would be like Urbin Camo LOL

Wallbass,

I never thought of that. Maybe a camo hat with a turkey feather might work.

I have a question that may be a little off topic, but is related. Can an existing "high-power rifle" scope be re-adjusted by the factory for parallax? In other words, can they adjust one more suited for rimfires?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Wallbass,

I never thought of that. Maybe a camo hat with a turkey feather might work.

I have a question that may be a little off topic, but is related. Can an existing "high-power rifle" scope be re-adjusted by the factory for parallax? In other words, can they adjust one more suited for rimfires? Just get a Bushnell Banner W/AO Cant go wrong with the 6x24x40 AO W/Mildot. But to answer your Q,I think they might but would end up costing more than buyin one yoy can adjust. In searching I found Opticsplanet.com has the scope above W/free Shipping Thanks Jeff
smile.gif

Good news. I just got off the phone with a Leupold tech support guy. I phoned to inquire if they can change the parallax setting of scopes to something more suitable for rimfires. The reply was "yes" and the cost is only $15.

I was informed that most any Leupold scope could be readjusted for that nominal fee. The parallax can be set for any desired distance I want, but the guy said 60 yards is the usual rimfire range. I also inquired about the Redfield Revolution and was told that it cannot be adjusted, and is set from the factory at 150 yards.

The reason for my phone call is due to me having three Leupold scopes that are suitable for rimfire use, provided the parallax can be adjusted. I've got two, Vari-X 2s in 2x7, and one in 3x9 that would make great scopes for rimfires. Now I'm excited.

I have also noticed that the Leupold rimfire scopes have somewhat less eye relief than the high-power models. I asked if changing the parallax might affect the eye relief, and was told no, that it would not affect it. That's good news since I like the longer eye relief that Leupold provides, even in rimfire scopes.

Just thought I would pass on the information in case anyone else might have the same idea as me.

If you don't mind me asking which scope are going to mount on the VMBZ? Ive got a suggestion why not take the 4by12 Leupold off of the 17HMR-CZ and put it on the VMBZ and buy the Burris Timberline 4.5x14X and put it on the CZ. That little Timberline would work great on the little CZ and its setup just for the 17HMR it has ballistic plex and its also an A/O scope.

Marco, that sounds like a good idea. How is the parallax set on the Timberline? Most of my shooting with the 17 HMR is around 75-100 yards or so. How is the "view" through the Timberline? Somewhere I read that the field of view may be a bit lacking. I certainly like the looks of the scope though.

As to Leupold's parallax adjustment service, that gives me yet other options since I do have a few scopes that I might dedicate for rimfire.

Back