22 Magnum ammo

I wanted to try a box of the Remmington ballistic tips but they wanted 22.00 a box at our Gander Mountian !!! Not only that but they keep them behind the counter were you have to ask for them, do they have gold in them or what. Someone has been smoking crack if they think I am paying that much for a box of any WRM guess I better lock up the 6 boxes of CCI I have in the ammo box

Just bought a ruger 77/22 mag a few days ago so this info is great. ITs the SS with the boat paddle stock . shot around 150 round through it so far and love this gun . First .22 mag i have owned , and i will be giving my Marlin .17 HMR SS to my son when he gets home in June . I really like the .22 mag better than the .17 . ??? just do !!

Last edited:
I agree with you, Rob. I had alot of drift problems with the light 17 pills. Replaced my 17 Marlin with a 22M Marlin. It has a 3-9x40 Bushnell on it and you can cover the holes at 50 yds with a quarter. I tried most kinds of ammo and like the 40 gr CCI's best.

Originally Posted By: BrewleeI agree with you, Rob. I had alot of drift problems with the light 17 pills. Replaced my 17 Marlin with a 22M Marlin. It has a 3-9x40 Bushnell on it and you can cover the holes at 50 yds with a quarter. I tried most kinds of ammo and like the 40 gr CCI's best.

Just picked up 4 more boxes , they are going for 12.99 here . Not sure why i never owned a .22 mag before ?? Seems to be a very good little round . I have a 3-9x50 Simmons Blazer on mine . Nothing fancy but it will do for now . I shot 4 coyotes with my .17 and it did the job , all one shot kills BUT i like the idea of a 35-40 grain bullets better and don't want to pay the $$$ for a center fire ammo , don't own any center fire guns anymore . Never hunt any big game during the general seasons anymore ( since 1975) TOOO darn crazy for me . I do hunt with a .50 cal Encore muzzle loader during the muzzy hunts but that's it , ''But'' may not after 2011 if our UDWR has its way ,and they screw everything up as they are planning . They want to combine the elk and deer season and only give us 8 days , right now it 8 days for each . The place i hunt deer has no elk, and the place i hunt elk has no or very little deer, and only 8 days in the field compared to 16-20 is a joke . Depending on what they do in 2011 i just may stick to small game/birds and coyotes .

Originally Posted By: wyoshooterMy 77/22 mag loves the 33 grain Remington load and it does hit hard and accurate.

+1 for me use them for fox hunting always did a good job

Well i look my New Ruger 77/22 out coyote hunting , called in two ( if you can call them stopping at 400 yards calling them in ) at my first set up . No chances for a shot . I did see 200+ antelope in one herd and 7 Bull elk . I was very surprised to see the Elk there .Also saw two Bald eagles and 3 golden eagles . Not a shot fired but what a great day !! Nothing more beautiful that a pink glow of sunrise on the snow covered mountains either . Sure wish i had brought one of my cameras !!

Last edited:
I have a Winchester Low Wall in 22 mag 24" barrel and mine shoots the Remington 33 grain VMax better than any of the other brands. I will hunt coyotes out to 100 yards and all I can say is that at that range it kills with authority.

UtahRob, I got one of those Rugers like you got the other day great little rifle! Got mine sighted in with the CCI +Vs. Put a Leupold 4X rimfire special on her its going to be my new pickup truck rifle. ~Marco

Originally Posted By: marcoUtahRob, I got one of those Rugers like you got the other day great little rifle! Got mine sighted in with the CCI +Vs. Put a Leupold 4X rimfire special on her its going to be my new pickup truck rifle. ~Marco

Well i like the .22 WMR so much i decided to get one for my son . I also upgraded my scope and just put a redfield 3-9x50 on my Ruger . I may just sell my marlin .17 hmr and get a 3rd .22 wmr !!

here is my new scope .

redfieldDSCN0369.jpg

and my sons new .22 wmr

codyssavage22magDSCN0346.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marcoThat scope looks great on your new MAGNUM! Ive got all three Ruger 77/22 magnums.

I am really impressed with the Redfield scopes , very sharp . I was messing around shooting at very small targets at least 150 yards way , and on 9x i could see the .22 hole in the snow , i could even shoot a bullet in the snow and shoot another bullet in the other hole or darn close . These 22 mags are a great little rounds , not sure why it took me 40 years to buy one .??

Last edited:
I bought one of those Ruger boat paddle WMR's back in the early '90's, for a fraction of what Ruger gets for the WMR's today. Dang I sure wish I hadnt sold that one...

I get the same results with the Rem 33gr Vmax in my 77/22 as the rest of you do. The only problem I have is the occasional misfire. Therefore, I do not like shooting it at critters. Anyone tried OSSI ammo?

Misfires? That happens in centerfire to you know. I shoot the coyote killers, fast for a 35gr. bullet I also have some of the older extended range from OSSI. Are they still making ammo for the 22 magnum? Don't give up on the 22 magnum because of misfires, I called in a nice gobbler acouple of years ago and my 870 went snap was shooting Win supremes turkey load #6! Like I said it happens, and Im still turkey hunting.

Originally Posted By: wyoshooterMy 77/22 mag

loves the 33 grain Remington load and it does hit hard and accurate.

decided to give the Rem .33 grain accu-points a try , VERY ACCURATE and shot groups twice as small as the 40 grain Maxi Mags .

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterI bought one of those Ruger boat paddle WMR's back in the early '90's, for a fraction of what Ruger gets for the WMR's today. Dang I sure wish I hadn't sold that one...

I sure wish i had both the Ruger #1 i bought back in the 70's !!

I had a 25-06 and a Robert 257 . I bet i only paid around 300.00 for them .

$ 9.95 for CCI Maxi Mags 40 grain HP at Wal Mart right now . I picked up 4 boxes this week . Thats the best price i have seen for a while . 12.95 on up most places .

Last edited:
The cci tnt's have worked best for me in my annie. The federal 50 grainers
are supposed to be the best for closer ranges as far as knock down power.
I haven't shot them enough to bare that out.
Don't let anyone steer you into believing a 17 has more drift. All the charts
and testing show it is just a tad better than a 22 mag. It also carries more
energy out to about 175-190 yards. But I still will stick with the 22 mag. I
have always liked em.

I've got this one on order right now. I can't wait. I plan to put the new Redfield Revolution on it. Should be one heck of a nice outfit.

Ruger 22 mag.

Ruger7722.jpg

Back