22 Magnum ammo

If your talking about the Win Supremes I use it for everything in my VMBZ. Sorry to hear about your cat problems, Ive never had any problems with the supremes. That being said nothing works 100% of the time but I have had good luck with the supremes some of the fox squirrels Ive taken at 125 yds. showed very good expansion, I think you need to give the supremes another try. Yes those 40gr. Super Xs are pretty mean! ~Marco

My rifle loves the Supremes, and I shoot crows with them! I would think that they would be a first choice on squirrel size targets.

Marco, a ferrel cat is a tough critter to kill outright. You really need penetration to break both shoulders if you can.

17 AH is great cat medicine.

I only have a 6 1/2" single action revolver in .22MAG for now. That being said I find that the PMC Predator soft points shoot the best in my gun and I have killed everything from bobcats to coyotes to jackrabbits and never had a problem putting them down. Now that being said I will probably have nothing but problems....

Take a good look at the 50 grain federal game shok JHP. Best down range energy available and the best long range killer I have seen. 1650 fps at the muzzle. It is considered a small game round.

The new Federal Game shocks velocity is not 1,650fps. Your looking at the old Federal ammo. The new stuff is loading a CCI bullet at 1,525fps. I think. The old 50s had good down range energy at 180ft.lbs at 100 yds but zero expansion at those ranges! The Win Super X is still top above all 22 magnum ammo for knock down and expansion. The new RWS shows 180ft lbs at 100 yds. but again bad expansion at 100yds. as to my testing. ~Marco

I have not had alot of experience with the 50s but I did take one coyote with them and was very disappointed. I had to shoot it multiple times and the range was only about 25 yds. They may do better at different ranges but that was the last time I used them.

This year my buddy and I have taken around 27 coon with the Remingotn 33gr and the Win Super X 40gr, about evenly split. Its not much of a sample size, but the Winchester Super X have been noticiably more effective on coons. It doesnt seem to matter much with head shots but if you make a body shot there is a definate advantage to the Winchesters in our experience. And there cheaper too!

And just think the Winchester Super X 40gr. HP was designed way back in 1958 or 59 and didnt come on the market till 1960! Winchester got it right the first time. They are very accurate too and great expansion at all ranges. Theres a sight on the net called Brass something that show expansion in Ballistic Gel for the 22 magnum and the Win Super X shows best for penetration and mushrooming. ~marco

I use the Winchester Dynapoint Magnum 45gr. bullets.Every critter I've ever hit with one did'nt require a second shot.I've killed several rattlesnakes,prairie dogs,skunks,porcupines and one armadillo with them and they were all DRT shortly after I squeezed the trigger.
I dont know if they would be very accurate out of a rifle compared to some other brands of .22Mag ammo but they shoot good out of my revolver.The Dynapoints are the only .22Mag ammo I've used so far.I want to get some of the Hornady V-Maxes and try them out.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI use the Winchester Dynapoint Magnum 45gr. bullets.Every critter I've ever hit with one did'nt require a second shot.I've killed several rattlesnakes,prairie dogs,skunks,porcupines and one armadillo with them and they were all DRT shortly after I squeezed the trigger.
I dont know if they would be very accurate out of a rifle compared to some other brands of .22Mag ammo but they shoot good out of my revolver.The Dynapoints are the only .22Mag ammo I've used so far.I want to get some of the Hornady V-Maxes and try them out.
Has anyone used the hornady's.......Cabelas has a Great sale on them ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wyoshooterI have shot several coyotes with the 33 grain Remington load with excellent results. They were all chest shots and no more than 100 yards. Killed them right in their tracks and no fur damage at all. I wouldn't try them over 100 yards though.

Great post! My guess is that you took direct-entry shots into both lungs, right? No shoulder, quartering shots? The .22 Mag has a minimal (compared to centerfire cartridges deemed suitable for coyotes) amount of energy. Some .22 Mag loads have more penetration than others but at the cost of a lesser wound channel. I'd want to have just enough energy to get through both of those lungs while doing the maximum amount of damage to them in the process. I think your Remington V-Max is doing just that. Like a bowhunter hunting deer, you can't take just any and every shot that comes along BUT if you place that wicked little bullet in the ribs where it belongs, it's amazing how well it can do. Too many hunters will pick up a .22 Mag and shoot coyotes and bobcats the same way they'd shoot them using a .223 or .243. These are the same guys who'l tell you that the .22 Mag is inadequate for coyotes at any range. Heck, some of them will tell you it's inadequate for fox. Well, guess what? In their hands, it is! In the hands of someone who KNOWS what he's doing, it'll work just fine!
With any cartridge, there are those who will get pretty good results for the most part, exceptions to the rule notwithstanding. There will also be those who will swear the very same cartridge/load is woefully adequate. It AIN'T the cartridge/load so much as the guy BEHIND the gun!
Great post! ---- Mike

I really like CCI Maxi mag HP's or Game points. Most of the plastic tip ammo is fine for Woodchucks, but to explosive for Coyotes.

Last edited:
Great thread guys - thanks for starting it Marco.

I haven't shot a 22 magnum is several years, but when I used to hunt groundhogs a lot I found the Win 40gr. JHP's were accurate and effective to about 100 yards or so. A 10lb 'chuck is a tough critter and I found a well placed chest hit was most effective - head shots were too low percentage. I have no doubt a well placed bullet from a .22 mag is very effective coyote medicine, with the self-restrictions that Mike Pearson described so well.

Well thank you Baron. I shot my first 22 magnum back in 1970 and havent been the same ever since. Great round for the small game hunter, running the trap line or for calling in predators or varmints at close range. ~Marco

I wanted to relate a story that happened to a partner and I in 1992 on a dog town in Wyoming. We caught a dead wind day two days after a bad storm. We both had custom 22 Mags with target chambers(slight engraving on the bullet as it is chambered). Both of these rifles shot the 40g Win HP 3/4" at 100.

We had packed the Mags along on several trips wanting to catch a day where the wind was calm and just "rimfire" the town. We had previously marked the target dials on the Leupold 6-20's out to 250 yards(hope and a prayer).

Well, on one trip, the wind was dead calm and the dogs were out in force. We shot and shot, and shot. We worked our way over to the opposite hill which the dogs were scattered from 190-260 yards. We started on the close ones and we were not missing much at all. We had this trick of shooting the one on the hole, then the next one, then the hole became plugged. Since there was about zero noise, the dogs just went back to eating and socializing.

We worked our way to the 250 yard mark, and killed every dog that was out.

The rancher had an agreement that I carry beer for him, and anytime that he wanted a beer, he could just come up to the truck and get a few. He could not believe the number of dead dogs, he went and got his neighbor and gave him a tour of the battle field. We picked up 4 more places to shoot after the neighbor saw the number of dead dogs.

I shot a lot of dogs over the years, that day was a lot of fun.

Back