Your best long shot

I killed a rockchuck at 572 yards, holding over with a 4-12 scope, 22-250, I was 12 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. My second best was a rabbit at 550 with my 243 AI this year.

not really sure of my longest prolly the crow last winter at 410 yds only took 4 sighter shots lol no wind and it was on a bait pile lol
my closest was about 6 inches from my 12 ga bbl in turkey season on a yote he came in to my calls and stood literally s 6 inches from my bbl still dont know how he didnt hear my heart pounding

Shot a Whitetail @ 154 Yards with a Handgun, she dropped in her tracks, ranged by Leica.
Ruger Super Redhawk
454 Causull
260 gr. Nosler Partition powered by H110.

Mine wasnt far but it was tough. 60 yds on a red squirrel that was sleeping on a limb that was swaying in the wind. The limb would move back & forth about 3 feet each way. Had to time the shot just right. Got him w/ a head shot. 17hmr.

Shot a bedded doe at 200 yards with a .54cal Lyman Great Plains rifle (.530 Hornady round ball and 80 grains of FFF GOEX black power). The ball went completely through piercing both lungs. Usually a round ball does not exit but she was laying down so I guess that helped the ball go through. She did not move. Several weeks earlier I had been shooting at a competition with 50 to 200 yard metallic silhouettes so I had a good idea how to hold. You have to really lob them in at that range with round balls.

Remington 700 30-06 using 165 gr BTSP from Hornaday - 250 yards - light bulb in the 75 watt range.

BB gun - 1 foot - alley cat (lots of stray cats around that create issues and carry diseases) right in the rear-end. Cat had to clear 10 feet of air in that first jump. Cat never came back around the house.

12 guage hutning by myself using an O/U on opening weekend back in about 93. Had just bought that O/U and was using it for the first time for upland birds. Walking through an area of blue stem mixed with plum thicketts when pheasants start launching from all over. Took the first rooster that got up at about 35 to 40 yards spun around and took the last one I saw that was up and was out to about 60 yards. First time to take a double like that ... haven't used another gun since. Then again haven't seen a lot of birds since that year either now that I think about it.

kc

Not a long shot but it was cool. Shot a desert cotontail at right about 200 yards with a Win 94 Trapper in 45colt with the iron sites it took that 250gr chunk of lead a bit to get there but when it did the results were explosive. Thought I had missed and it had run over the hill at first until we got to where the bunny had been and saw the aftermath.

Four notable long shots for South Carolina.

1. buck deer with 25.06 120 grain cor-lokt at 410 yards.
2. doe deer with .243 100 grain cor-lokt at 415 yards
3. dog fox with .357 magnum 125 grain American Eagle soft pt
at 120 yards
4. dog fox with .17 fireball .20 grain remington v at 236 yards.

I hunt a hi voltage main power line right of way with shots out to 500 yards.

I also have some misses.

I shot a wild hog in texas a couple yrs back. It was running at about 230-250 yrds with .223, when her snout hit the cross hair I squeezed one off, hit her right behind the front leg, she made it about 10 yds, my brother witnesed it.
I later showed him how to kill grey fox, I think we killed 9 out of about 15 stands, I hope I get to hunt down there again.

Im not up to par with you big strap shooters.. But I got a Jackrabbit with my 22 lr at a little over 180 yds first shot. Got a 6 inch tall ground squirrel with my .204 Ruger at 340 yds, and another ground squirrel with my T3 lite in .223 at 270 yds, and one with my scoped Contender .223 at 150 yards. Im gonna keep practicing !

Took my kids out shooting this afternoon plates setup at2-3-4-500yards my 11 year old shot a plate at 2-3-400 yards.The 12 tear old hit them at 3 and 400 there was a 10 mile an hour or so blowing.That was alot of fun they were very pumped.Oh they were shooting 22-250's one new remington and one howa1500

This isn't my "best" but it was my luckiest and my sister watched the whole thing. I missed a coyote at around 200 yards standing broadside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I couldn't let him get away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif so I kept booming away and he kept running eventually connected on the 3d shot around while he was on a dead run I was giving him around 6 feet lead and holding 5ft high with a .223 and 55gr Soft points , right after I pulled the trigger he just dissappeared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifI wasn't even sure I hit him so I decided to go look for him and sure enough there he was piled up at 425 steps. I got super lucky.

*(Its a shame that some women can't relize the significance of such and amazing shot ,I got the same reaction from her that I would have got if I shot a sitting coyote at 25 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif; but she's proven good luck so maybe I should drag her out calling more often.)

Longest shot on a critter was 1047 on a p-dog with a 22-250 Remington VSF. Best long range 5 shot group was the size of a paper plate on a full size steel IPSC target at just shy of 1500 yards with my long range tacticool steel slapping 7 mm magnum.

This winter I gave up on the long range stuff and went with a short and light rifle, a CZ 527. I had forgotten how rewarding it is to call hard chargers up close and personal and swat them dead when they are on the move. I think I'll remember a shot for a long time that I made last month. I sat up about 3 feet from a "den" and put the FX3 right at the entrance to the hole. About 10 minutes later a young coyote boiled up from behind and stood there dumbfounded at the den staring at the FX3. I missed. The coyote turned and ran down the hill quartering away. I regained my composure and nailed it right behind the ear at about 125 yards. That was more fun than the dozens of p-dogs that I have sniped at 700 plus yards.

mine wasn't very long but i'll never forget.
out with my lil brother walking a pasture. must have been 11-12 years old. hit a flying robin with a wrist rocket loaded with a rock i picked up off the ground. never happen again.

Well, my shots at the egg at 300 yards would not qualify as my best shot... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shot one of a pair of sleeping reds this year. 20mph west wind. was straight west of them though, one shot with 32gr nosler btip out of the 204. 75 yds over the quarter mile line. not sure what that is in yards, held right on its back, wind musta pushed the bullet there. couldn't touch the other one though, he stood for 2 more shots.

Several running yotes 420-475.
Gopher with my brothers 7mm at 15 feet.
Nice 8 pt at quarter mile.
Crow sitting just shy of half mile line, first shot 5ft low.
Threw a big rock at a cottontail in the garden at 20yds DRT

Savage 7mm mag, Heavy barrel,160 hornady amax.6.5 x 20 leupold scope Ghog652yds. It took 4 shots. Good thing he was patient and the groung soft. I could not pick him up on the range finder . I saw that big red doughnut open up on his side on no.4 Lots of holdover and luck. I was able to laser the silo I was shooting from for the range. I love that 7MM MAG

Back