Your best long shot

376 yards on a whitetail buck with my .270 Win, which was zeroed for 200 yards.

796 yards on a pdog with my 6mm Rem....I was using a comeups table.

Though these are my two longest "long shots", I don't really consider either of them to be among my "best" shots.

Mike

Mine was on a squirell at 130 yards. Not once but 2 times in a row. Stopped him with the first shot and finished him with the second shot. I was shooting a Marlin 781 22LR. I couldn't believe it so I had my son go and stand next to it and the shot lazered at 130 yards. I couldn't do that again if I tried.

RTLOF(TONY) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Shot a g-hog at 160 yards with a stock 10/22 long rifle DRT . No range finder just letter rip!

Best centerfire----- .243win at a crow 702 yards. No range finder just a good guess.

Ranges were measured after the shot.

Tim

Not my longest kill but memorable range on a small target:

A thirteen line ground squirrel is the size of a chipmunk,
he popped his head out of the ground (1/2 dollar target)
directly in front of our 300yrd target we had shot at all
day long. I purposely swapped out the 55 grain FMJ junk we
were throwing for a 60gr ballistic tip, we all zoomed in
on him and watched the splatter. We still talk about it
today, 300yrd chipmunk shot= PRICELESS!

Another was a 80yard or so rabbit, didnt find the entry
hole until I started to skin him, right up the pooper..yuk.

1983.......Rooster pheasant at about 175 long steps with a Ruger Security Six shooting a 160 gr Speer bullet. Got him right in the gullet sideways and didn't ruin any meat at all.

stock 10/22 rabbit bout 150 yards, quick off hand, both eyes open standing.
not super impressive but im a terrible shot so i was really excited
the sound was awesome
BANG ....

THUD

My father,two sons(11 and 12) were driving on a two track when a coyote takes off across a frozen pond.I jump out bark and he stops so I wait for my dad to shoot he misses.I shoot and roll him on the run at about 125 yds. He jumps up and takes off running again. My dad misses a couple more times I miss once then sit down prop my knees up and shoot. There was the unmistakable thud that comes with a good hit.When we walked out and picked it up my dad ranged it at 515 yds. (running straight away)That was a lucky fun shot.

I killed a coyote at 473 lasered yards. My brother in law and I were driving down the road and this coyote was sitting on a mound of dirt in a stubble field. So I stopped and drilled him with a 300 H&H. Made me a hero in his eyes. I shot one on the run with a 240 WBY at 396. That gun was awesome, probably why I shot it out.

Quote:
Quote:
My best shot was not long, only about 100 yards. A crow on a fence post in high wind. Held 8" to the left and nailed it dead center. Holding that far off target and connecting is satisfying.

Jack

I can relate to that. My best shot on a crow was at 120yds with a sported ruger 10-22. I had a scope that had target turrets and knew the distance. Got a steady hold, squeezed the trigger and he hit every branch on the way down. He probably thought he was out of range, too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My most memorable shot was on a Bobcat. It was soo close that I ended up with blood splatters on my barrel. Transistioned from a shooter to a hunter. Dont get me wrong I like to shoot far distances, I shot a Pronghorn at 1200 yards, but I get more of a rush out of the ones I could kill with a rock now istead of a mile away.

Best (or most memorable) long shot was a PD at 853 yds - measured - in the Conata Basin, SoDak.

The rifle was a Rem 40-XBBR in 222 Mag. First shot was ~5" low and left, the second shot took it.

I have shot wood chucks further, but this shot stands out in my memory - it was my first trip to SoDak.

Coyote @ 508 yards, 70g Nosler BT, 26" barreled 243.

Whitetail @ 350 yards, 140g TSX, 26" barreled 280AI.

Shortest miss: Coyote @ 8 feet. Hard to get them in 12 power scope when they are about to pounce on you.

Made lots of very long shots but the best - pidgeon off the peak of the farm house 51 yds. center mass Game Hunter 220. With a puff of feathers and one quick hop he died in flight.

Quote:
My best shot was not long, only about 100 yards. A crow on a fence post in high wind. Held 8" to the left and nailed it dead center. Holding that far off target and connecting is satisfying.

Jack

I hit a crow at a lasered 252yds with a 22mag. on the second shot. Was holding ridiculously high (40+") and right. When he dropped we just started laffin', as we knew how lucky of a shot it was.......

doe at 312 yards, 10+mph wind, Rem 700 .270 sighted in at 100. Dad had shot a deer earlier and made a bad shot, said the gun was off... I told him i didn't think so. She walked out, rested on sticks, and put the cross hairs on her cheek. Bang..... thud, drop. Perfect neck shot, dad was a little embarassed about the gun but proud of his son.
Other than that, same gun, two javalinas with one shot, at 270 yds.

Not with a rifle. But shot a ground squirrel at 70yds with bow. Was out on a sod farm with to many houses to shot with anything but a bow. Guy I was with lost $20.

Back